“Never going to stay there again”
Review of Candy Hostel

Candy Hostel
Stockholm
“Never going to stay there again”
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I was traveling around in USA, and was really looking forward to New York. The hostel sounded okay, close to Central Park and subway. When me and my friend arrived we had to wait for a long time. Then they showed us the "room" we were suppose to stay in for 7 days. It was so small! A bunkbed from, I don't know, 1970's, that sounded if you moved. The room was about 6 square metre, with shared bath room. It was one lamp hanging down from the ceiling, and one pipe going through the room, that made it so hot in the room. After one night we changed room to one 5 floors upstairs. Then we got a TV and some more space. But our neighbors in our corridor was making a lot of sound 24/7, and when they left the bathroom in the mornings it was disgusting! It was never refilled with toilet paper, or cleaned in the shower. So it was always hair in the shower and in the washbowl. Yeah, it was cheap, but next time I'm gonna pay some extra so I don't have to go back to that place again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank everythingcounts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
georgia
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I have stayed at many hostel in new york city this one was great. i had my nephew with me on this trip and he found it enjoyable and fun the international guest was excellent to him .My nephews want to visit for the holidays and they willing to go back to the hostel instead of going to Disney World in Florida. The hostel was very clean and the bathroom were cleaned thru out the day. They were stingy with the towels. The location is great!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lloisred
London,,UK
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We booked a private room at Candy Hostel and thought it was reasonably priced at $136 for three nights.

At a hostel, for a cheap price, i would expect it to be very basic. But here, for a cheap price, we got a dirty room.

The room was tiny - it was almost impossible to walk around the bed as it pretty much took up the entire space.

I'd emailed ahead to see if we got sheets at Candy - and had been told yes.

But the sheets were stained and old - and the pillows so old and lumpy they barely resembled pillows any more.

The worst point was that the room had a really strange smell - we thiink it came from some kind of rat/mouse pest control device - a plastic box in the corner of the room on the floor - and we couldn't open the windows as they'd been nailed shut (for the air con that was so loud we couldn't keep it on during the night).

We spent the first three nights of a two week holiday here, and it was unfortuantely because teh smell in the room was so strong it made our clothes smell for the next week or so.

The shaerd bathroom was also dirty on day two - with a bath left full of water and tissues - although this was not the fault of the hostel - rather a rude guest at the hostel - it had still not been cleaned by the next day and i had to clean it myself.

A couple of good points - the hostel had a nice atmosphere to it and was fairly socialbe with a lot of travellers hanging out in the lounge area and hallways, and the reception staff were not unfriendly.

I would not recommend this hostel - as although it's cheap - it took away from our holiday experience as we dreaded going back to it in the evening and couldn't relax after a long day out...

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StefaniOso

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

california
Reviewed 23 September 2009

My first experience was in 2007 at first I said wow this room is very tiny.. but the price was so cheap what can you say.. After the first night I got use to it and it was only me..If possibe I do recommend bringing a blanket. There covers are very thin. I dont know what the othe reviewers were talking about I never experienced any bed bugs and I have been there 3 times and will be back next month October 2009.. Also there is no other place in Manhattan this cheap.. The Candy Hostel is close to all the clubs, restaurants, bars, broadway and subways.. My only problem was they only had one iron and you had to give a deposit.. Other than that the restrooms were always clean and I never had to wait to use the restroom.. I always had acess to towels and face cloths.. I look at it like this why spend close to a $1000 dollars for a week stay and you can stay at the Candy for about $400 including tax. The rest can be use for shopping , site seeing, partying, taxi's..etc.. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank calilovenewyork
Breda
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The people at Candy Hostel were very friendly, we printed our reservation of hostelworld.com so we could prove that we had booked but we didn't need to take it out of our bags.
They asked if we wanted a room with bunk instead of just a 2 persons bed (i was traveling with a friend of mine) i thought that was very helpfull and nice of them.
The rooms were clean (but small) they had fresh sheets en clean towels (every day clean ones!).
The bathrooms were cleaned every day.
They have a large lounge in another building with a pingpong table, microwave and a tv room where they have movie nights. Another big + for me was that they had free wifi on every floor!
Its 10-15 min to a subway station and about 30 min to Central Park.
If you're going to New York to do a lot and the only thing you want to do at your hostel is sleep you'll have a great place to sleep over there!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank tazzzje
Oslo
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I loved it- and i hated it. We were two friends and we booked the cheapest option (4/6 beds?), but we got our own room. Great, cause then we could keep our stuff there at all times. It was a bunkbed- a good one. 3?4? bathrooms on each floor, 12? rooms on each floor. Im not sure, but there was never a line and i was clean!
The staff was exeptionally rude! theres no wifi in the rooms as they say, but it is in the lobby. A small tv-room, with a fridge thats not working. No stowe or anything. 4 computers in the lobby, along with a vending machine.
The location isnt the best, but its a 5-7 minute walk to the subway, 96th street! in NY youre never really far away anyways. Duane reade up the hill, and lots of restaurants and cafees. Most people there were french, some dutch and a couple of americans. Mostly young people, but we met several people that were 40+
We sat outside at 11pm and cops came said they had gotten complaints from neighbours. We were talking, not even laughing loudly. they chased us inside and said they would lock us up if we went outside again!
Id probably go back, cause ive heard so many horror stories, so i would settle for "ok" rather than risking it!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ceelya
sydney
Reviewed 5 September 2009

My boyfriend and I arrived late at night and were directed to a building next door (which was not the Candy hostel we had booked). The lock on the door was very loose and we did not feel safe. We were really tired so we decided to ask them to move us in the morning. I woke up feeling itchy and immediately knew i had been bitten by bed bugs. We went downstairs and were directed next door back to the main reception. The lady told us she wouldn't swap our room and that we should check out. We had nowhere to stay so we decided to stay another night, not realising how bad bed bugs actually are.

The next day i had even more bites so we went to reception again and it was a different man this time, who happily moved us. We spent the evening washing our clothes hoping to get rid of the bugs. However, the bugs were in all our luggage (which we didn't realise) and we continued to get bitten. Every time we went to reception there was a different person there. We were not ever able to see the manager.

We checked out after 4 days and were told we would get a refund for the other 3 days we had paid for. We have not received any refund to our credit card and the manager has refused to give us our money back when we finally tracked him down on the phone.

We still hadn't gotten rid of the bugs and they came with us to the next place. We felt terrible and told reception straight away so they could deal with it.

We then decided to wash or throw out every single item we had. As you can imagine this is a very expensive ordeal. New luggage, doctor's fees, prescriptions, and finally an expensive but clean hotel. By trying to save money at the Candy hostel we ended up spending way more. A total disaster and i am still having nightmares about the 100 bites my boyfriend and i each had.

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple