“Misleading Venue”

Add it.
Ava Lounge
Ranked #284 of 871 Nightlife in New York City
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This location was extremely too small for it to be advertised for anything other than a in-house hotel bar. The room has four couch seating area along the window with the supposedly picturesque views of the city (probably before the current construction/expansion of the nearbing buildings). Only true decent view is that of timesquare (slightly). A few more minature chairs and tables along the wall and in the corner; other then that, no room or seats. Not to mention the majority of the tables all have reserved labels so finding a seat out of the limited available is pretty darn impossible.

Drinks - with a price tag of $15 each, you'd hope they were absolutely delicious, can't stop until the last drop, kind of good. My friend and me ordered the watermelon mojoito (they were all out of watermelon, before 9pm on a Saturday), so we went with a margarita. Worse drink ever, but at $15 a pop, choked both hers and mine down ... My friend was disgusted and switched to wine because in her words, "they should not be able to mess up wine".

Waitress - nice and attentive, given the proximity of the space.... hoped that would be the last thing they messed up on.

Music - the DJ came on a little after 9pm and cranked the music so loud, you were forced to yelling across the table. Terrible scenario for such a small, intimate setting and suggest the DJ turn the music down to a decent level. At least until they remove the chairs from the wall and turn the small space into an even tinier dance floor.

As one waitress explained, the chairs are removed around 11/11:30ish and then the space turns into a drunken mess.

I gave this place an average rating because sadly, it's the "too be expected" in NYC (over priced drinks, very small space and mediocre results for a place labeled Lounge). However, if you are staying at the Dream hotel, this is one of three bars you could hang out in and that is fine for the people who stay at the hotel but others traveling to go exclusively to Ava Lounge, same yourself the time and money and choose another destination.

Final note, be careful when stepping off the elevator... the floor just to the left that is covered my an area rug, felt uneven, weak and at times as if it might cave-in. I say that because in order to reach the bathrooms you have to travel past/over this narrow space.

1  Thank kymm530
There are newer reviews for Ava Lounge

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Located on the rooftop of the Dream Hotel, this bar was the perfect setting for a summer evening this past August. The views are great, drinks were priced decent however there is little room to move around if it gets crowded. Still though, had a great time here with some old friends and enjoyed the experience. Would definitely go back.

1  Thank davidjhammer
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We were served by an aggressive and slightly mad bleach blond tattooed waitress who never stopped mentioning tips, every time she brought drinks to me and my friend.

We just went there for a few post-dinner drinks and when the bill of $108, my bank sent me a text saying $139 had been taken off my card before I had even signed the bill.

As this credit card facility is rare, they seemed shocked when I questioned why they had taken an extra $31. After pretending to have no idea, the bleach blonde returned saying that they always guess the tip that the guest will pay and add it to the bill.....but will return money immediately if the tip is lower.

I deliberately changed the tip to make a total of $118 (as the service had been shocking and depressing for the two hours we were there anyway) but of course my bank account was credited with $139.

My guess is they or she heard my British accent, thought "great, a tourist passing through that I can scam" and did what she always did.

Do you usually remember what your bar bill was when you return from holiday????

Avoid this place - the location is ok, but the drinks were weak, the service shocking and I hate places that STEAL your money!

5  Thank MoscowJack
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Recommended to us by the concierge at the Sheraton (who gave us good directions). This bar is on the top floor of the Dream Hotel.

Good views of the city (Times Square) by night.

Lively place with a good atmosphere but not overly loud.
Nice for couples or small groups

1  Thank Jane J
Reviewed 15 November 2009

Recommended by the wonderful girl at the Benefit counter in Bloomingdales we thought we were on to a winner! Im addition this bar/lounge was mentioned in the travel guide with the addition of local people frequenting etc etc.

However the place was hard to reach, to say the least! The sign in the lobby doesn't make it clear that you can only reach it from the furthest elevator, in addition you have to wait 5 minutes for it to arrive. We eventually arrived and found ourselves in the "lounge".

Maybe it was me but I was expecting more... there was a tiny bar, comfy seats around the room, however it appeared unless you were 'special' you were kicked off them for people who had apparently 'reserved' them. We were in fact told at one point having sat at a seat which had been vacated by a group of people that we 'may have to move should anyone arrive who had reserved it!

We had a couple of very averagely made but expensive cocktails and called it a day. I guess if you went in a crowd this place 'might' be fun,but for me it was pretencious, VERY dark, with uneven floors in places (not great in heels!), and the music didn't seem to have an identity. Very disappointing and not the 'South Beach' vibe that we were expecting.

We ended up in a fun bar on 38th Street owned by firemen! Our tab for the entire night was the same as a couple of rounds of drinks, we chatted to some great people and highly recommend it - The Bravest on 38th, 700 2nd Avenue!

2  Thank sexymonkeylady