“Just ok ...perhaps its better in the summer”
Review of Ava Lounge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ava Lounge
Ranked #278 of 874 Nightlife in New York City
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Really not much special about the AVA Lounge. Perhaps its better in the summer with an outdoor rooftop view. March inside was 'just ok'. Cocktails were fine, but pricy. Decor and ambiance not that great. Hard to have a conversation.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I met some friends in NY at Ava on a Saturday night pretty early for the normal cocktail scene (around 5p) since we were all planning on getting dinner and doing other things later on. We got there and I think Ava had just opened because it was empty which I expected since 5p is insanely early for New Yorkers to start their evenings out, however we just wanted a place to grab a drink or two with friends before splitting company and going separate ways.

The view was amazing- watching the sun go down and the lights of the city get brighter was pretty amazing. The waitress we had was very attentive and nice but the cocktails weren't as good as I was hoping. Some were better than others. My friend had one with huckleberry vodka in it and it was so sweet it was nearly undrinkable. My other friend ordered a cocktail and was brought the wrong one (it was very obvious when tasted it was wrong), when we inquired about it with the waitress she asked the bartender about it who swore up and down it was the right drink but that they would make a new one for my friend. The new drink came back tasting nothing like the other so it was plain to see they didn't make the right drink the first time around. Why make up some story as opposed to just saying "Sorry about that, here is the correct one". Strange.

Anyways, it was a nice place. Perhaps it wouldn't be as great if it was later and really crowded since the space was super small, but I still had an enjoyable time while there. Cocktails averaged about $14.

Not sure why this place is listed as an attraction because it is a bar.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I've been there with a friend of mine, and the place is located at the rooftop terrace of the Dream Hotel. It's a nice place, but I expected much more from a rooftop view of Manhattan (the day before I've been to another one - check my other reviews if you want - and the difference is huge). Cocktails are pricey, but this is somewhat ok with the location. Another thing that I didn't really like is that there are not many seating places, so you have to stand up while having your drink. So, the place is ok, but not one of the best places in Manhattan.

3  Thank Giacomo B
Reviewed 2 July 2012

You’ll need to make yourself presentable to gain entry to the roof terrace of the Dream Hotel—no hats, trainers or ripped jeans here; you’d only ruin the chic, palm-tree-studded decor. Come for sunset or gaze at Times Square at night

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This location was extremely too small for it to be advertised for anything other than a in-house hotel bar. The room has four couch seating area along the window with the supposedly picturesque views of the city (probably before the current construction/expansion of the nearbing buildings). Only true decent view is that of timesquare (slightly). A few more minature chairs and tables along the wall and in the corner; other then that, no room or seats. Not to mention the majority of the tables all have reserved labels so finding a seat out of the limited available is pretty darn impossible.

Drinks - with a price tag of $15 each, you'd hope they were absolutely delicious, can't stop until the last drop, kind of good. My friend and me ordered the watermelon mojoito (they were all out of watermelon, before 9pm on a Saturday), so we went with a margarita. Worse drink ever, but at $15 a pop, choked both hers and mine down ... My friend was disgusted and switched to wine because in her words, "they should not be able to mess up wine".

Waitress - nice and attentive, given the proximity of the space.... hoped that would be the last thing they messed up on.

Music - the DJ came on a little after 9pm and cranked the music so loud, you were forced to yelling across the table. Terrible scenario for such a small, intimate setting and suggest the DJ turn the music down to a decent level. At least until they remove the chairs from the wall and turn the small space into an even tinier dance floor.

As one waitress explained, the chairs are removed around 11/11:30ish and then the space turns into a drunken mess.

I gave this place an average rating because sadly, it's the "too be expected" in NYC (over priced drinks, very small space and mediocre results for a place labeled Lounge). However, if you are staying at the Dream hotel, this is one of three bars you could hang out in and that is fine for the people who stay at the hotel but others traveling to go exclusively to Ava Lounge, same yourself the time and money and choose another destination.

Final note, be careful when stepping off the elevator... the floor just to the left that is covered my an area rug, felt uneven, weak and at times as if it might cave-in. I say that because in order to reach the bathrooms you have to travel past/over this narrow space.

1  Thank kymm530