“Terrible Experience”

Boston
“Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Do not stay here!

We were there on a Saturday night. When we arrived, it had to have been over 80 degrees in the room and were told that the heat wasn't even on! Therefore, we were in for a very uncomfortable night of sleep - that was only the beginning...

The noise coming from the club/rooftop bar above us (we were on the 11th floor) from about 11pm-4am was unbearable. While I though the noise was bad, the pounding on our ceiling from the people above us dancing was even worse! We called the front desk around 2am and they told us they would bring ear plugs...those arrived at 4am once the club closed. Therefore we got 3 hours of sleep and had to host an event the next day half asleep. The next morning, all I wanted was a nice shower to wake me up but the water pressure was only a trickle and I'm surprised that the shampoo even rinsed out of my hair.

Why pay for a hotel in which it isn't possible to sleep? If Empire cares more about its nightlife operation than its residents, they don't deserve a clientele.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank BosRS
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2011
Dear BosRs,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel. Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at our Hotel. Please be assured I have addressed your concerns with our Management Team so they can rectify the heating and noise issues you have identified. I hope you will consider returning to the Empire Hotel in the near future as your experience is certainly not respresentative of the level of service we strive to provide our guests.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (986)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Njivice, Croatia
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I stayed at the hotel over the weekend of March 11-13-20111.I had some issues with my room that I was not happy with, but when I went to the front desk I was greeted by two hotel employees leda and adriana who were amazingly helpful in solving my issues they really made my stay there amazing they were so quick to fix the issue i cant thank them enough ... and I cant wait to come baack...

1 Thank businessguy1067961
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear businessguy1067961,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. As the Assistant General Manager, I am pleased to read that Leda and Adrianna made such a postiive impression on you during your time with us. Please be assured I will be sharing your posting with both of them and recognizing them for a job well done. On behalf of the Empire Team, I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Service was understated, but good when needed. (f.E. late checkout 82 p.m.) was no problem. Leda Popoviq from the front desk was very friendly and helpful (printing out a voucher). We had the only a problem to leave the hotel :-), because the lock of the "keycard" room door was out of order. But help and assitance to solve problem was perfect and fast. So we had no problem to get our shuttle (Thanks for it)

Boston, MA
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We were only in the city for a single night. I was very excited to stay in this hotel, it looked great and got good reviews. I got a decent rate that included parking (a obvious bonus in Manhattan).

We checked in at 3pm and were informed that our room was clean and ready, but that the linens were not on the beds yet and would be there shortly. We went to put our bags in the room. The hotel had described itself as "recently renovated" but it was obvious this was not exactly true. Aside from the missing linens, the room seemed fine. I did a beg bug inspection and didn't see any signs of an infestation.

We out to a museum - came back a few hours later ~5pm...NO SHEETS. Beds still unmade! I went down to the desk to tell them politely. I was shrugged off, and assured they would be there "soon"...the person at the desk didn't even write down my room number. Went out to dinner - came back ~9pm...STILL NO SHEETS. I went to talk to the front desk again. AGAIN I was brushed off, and assured they would be there "soon"...the person AGAIN at the desk didn't even write down my room number.

We went out to see some live music - came back at 11PM and no sheet. I went down to complain again. This time the staff told to go back to my room and the sheet would be there right away. I asked them for some kind of compensation and they offered me 2 breakfast vouchers. At this point I was annoyed, but still being patient. We went back up to the room...30 minutes later someone knocked on the door with 2 pillow cases. It is now close to midnight. We are exhausted, had been traveling all day and wanted to got to bed.

Went back down to the front desk to talk to a manager. We were informed that there were NO sheets...REALLY? A hotel with over 400 hundred rooms doesn't have a single set of extra sheets? I had to beg a hotel all day since check-in for sheets? He offered us a room with a single bed. My partner has restless leg syndrome and we can't share a beg - so the answer was no. I booked a room with 2 beds. I paid for a room with 2 beds. I want a room with 2 beds.

When we finally got this resolved it was well after 12:30 AM. The sheets were mismatched - and I am guessing the stripped down beds from other rooms and cobbled together 2 incomplete sets of sheets for us.

Although the night manager seemed genuinely sorry and willing fix the problem, I was appalled by the fact that no one from 3pm - 11:30 seemed to take me seriously. I would not stay in the hotel again.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travel_joy_11
Dear travel_joy_11,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of The Empire Hotel. Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor outlining your experience at our Hotel. I am disappointed to hear of the challenges you encountered during your stay and would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We did have an issue with our linen on the night you stayed with us and have since rectified the issue with our service provider. Please be assured that I will follow up with my Front Office Team regarding your feedback as I am disaapointed to hear how we managed your requests for assistance that evening. I sincerely hope you will reconsider returning to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYC. I know we can do a much better job of providing you with the levels of service you deserve as our valuable guest.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Extremely convenient if you are attending a peformance at Lincoln Center (Met Opera). I give the 15 out of 10 for the reservation process. The staff were great. Nice clean, recently remodeled hotel in central location.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Excellent stay - This hotel is in a perfect location. Each staff member set the tone for an enjoyable trip. Daniel, Jose, and Mike greeted us with “Welcome to the Empire Hotel”, “Good Morning”, “Is there any thing I can do for you” as we left each day and as we returned, “Welcome back - Did you have a good day?” Arrived early and room was not ready got upgraded to the Broadway side and the view was great. Room was comfortable for NYC. The room was a little stuffy at first, but maintenance quickly resolved the problem. The front desk staff Mariana, Gabriel and Sean (Manager) offered excellent services with directions and all our needs during the stay. Indeed it was a great NYC get-away - would stay there again! Of course, a little partial I love CHOCOLATE!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear getaway_v,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. As General Manager of the Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to sharing your positive comments with our Bellman and Front Office team. They do an incredible job ensuring that they exceed our guest's expectations! We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire in the near future.

Regards,

David McManus
Washington DC
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I have stayed at the Empire a couple of times and every time it delivers beyond my expectations. The hotel is hip and the rooms are very comfortable. What makes it really special is the service. At the front desk, Helena took my small requests and turned them into an overall great stay. You can also have a lot of fun at the nearby restaurants as well as the one in-house, not to mention the proximity to the Park and Lincoln Center. I highly recommend this hotel for both work and pleasure.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear tonofsnow,

As General Manager of The Empire Hotel, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. Exceeding our guest's expectations and providing a high level of service is our number one priority and I am pleased to hear that Helena made such a lasting impression on you! We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

David McManus