“Fantastic experience in every way at the Empire!”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #308 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Nanoose Bay, Canada
“Fantastic experience in every way at the Empire!”
Reviewed 19 March 2011

I stayed at the Empire for a week in February with my parents, who were both first-time visitors to New York. I love the city myself -- I go twice a year on business -- and I've been trying to get mum and dad to go with me for years, so of course I wanted their first visit to be memorable and positive. I generally stay at the Waldorf or the Essex House when in NY, but the Essex was full, and all the bedbug talk surrounding the Waldorf in recent months had me spooked. I initially booked The Empire through Jetsetter, a trusted hotel source, but was alarmed when I started reading some of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor regarding the noise level and service at the hotel. I emailed Don Chatham in Guest Relations and explained my concerns. He promptly emailed me back with the assurance that our stay would be comfortable and pleasant in every way.
And it absolutely was!
The location of the hotel is perfect -- right beside Lincoln Centre, and short walking distance to Columbus Circle, Central Park, and the Metro -- it was a cinch to get anywhere we needed to go in the city. (And the very personable doormen were always quick to hail a cab if needed.)
The recent renovations at the hotel are well done; it has a chic and trendy vibe, but retains a feeling of comfort and warmth. I never noticed that the atmosphere was too "clubby", as some reviewers have mentioned, and at no point were we able to hear any noise from the nightclub in our room. And, speaking of the room, I have to say that it was one of the most spacious I've seen in New York, with comfy beds, Frette sheets, and L'Occitane toiletries. The housekeeping staff were exemplary, and our room was kept clean, tidy, and restocked the entire week. All in all, a very good value for the money.
In the end, my parents loved every minute of their first New York experience (they're already talking about a second visit), and the hotel played a big part in making the trip such a success! I would definitely recommend a stay at the Empire.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank houseofleaves
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear houseofleaves,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a complimentary review of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. As the new Assistant General Manager at the property, I am so pleased to hear how much your entire family enjoyed their stay with us. We are very proud of our beautiful product as well as the amazing team that is in place to provide our guests with unforgettable memories of thier time in NYC. We look forward to seeing you (and your parents!) back at the Empire in the near future.

Warm regards,

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (969)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
N.Ireland
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Can't describe just how hot the hotel was during our stay - the rooms were even hotter! The air con is old and extremely noisy so very difficult to sleep. If staying on the 11th floor you will undoubtedly be woken up by the dragging of furniture at approx. 4.30am once everyone has cleared out of the rooftop lounge. For some unknown reason the staff felt that they had to rearrange furniture at this time of the morning, every morning, and we were there for 4 nights. My friend and I were so sleep deprived during our trip, we were dizzy walking around during the day.

The rooms are nicely decorated and have a great powerful shower, but they are very small - you can just about walk around the double bed and no more! The staff in general were friendly and courteous, although we found a couple of the reception desk female staff to be very false and couldn't care less. I asked at the desk for wine glasses as there is a mini bar and bottles of wine in room but no glasses (just tiny ones in bathroom for rinsing), and the girl said that she'd send them up while we were out but didn't even ask for our room no.

We enjoyed the roof top lounge one evening for cocktails and had great views. There was a good buzz about the hotel lobby which is gorgeous for drinks and chilling out.

Have to say that the hotel is in a great location and really lovely but the temperature really needs to be sorted out, and noise problem on the 11th floor.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank WillyWOnka55000
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2011
Dear WillyWonka55000,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at our Hotel. I was pleased to read you appreciated the design of the property however I am disappointed to read of the challenges you experienced during your stay. I have shared your feedback regarding the heat with our Director of Engineering to address the temperature on the 11th floor and will be reviewing the noise issue with the Rooftop Lounge. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly the next time your travels bring you to NYC. I would be more than happy to assist in arranging your accomodations and will ensure your experience is much different than your previous stay with us. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire Hotel in the future.

Regards,

Boston
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Do not stay here!

We were there on a Saturday night. When we arrived, it had to have been over 80 degrees in the room and were told that the heat wasn't even on! Therefore, we were in for a very uncomfortable night of sleep - that was only the beginning...

The noise coming from the club/rooftop bar above us (we were on the 11th floor) from about 11pm-4am was unbearable. While I though the noise was bad, the pounding on our ceiling from the people above us dancing was even worse! We called the front desk around 2am and they told us they would bring ear plugs...those arrived at 4am once the club closed. Therefore we got 3 hours of sleep and had to host an event the next day half asleep. The next morning, all I wanted was a nice shower to wake me up but the water pressure was only a trickle and I'm surprised that the shampoo even rinsed out of my hair.

Why pay for a hotel in which it isn't possible to sleep? If Empire cares more about its nightlife operation than its residents, they don't deserve a clientele.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank BosRS
Dear BosRs,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel. Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at our Hotel. Please be assured I have addressed your concerns with our Management Team so they can rectify the heating and noise issues you have identified. I hope you will consider returning to the Empire Hotel in the near future as your experience is certainly not respresentative of the level of service we strive to provide our guests.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Njivice, Croatia
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I stayed at the hotel over the weekend of March 11-13-20111.I had some issues with my room that I was not happy with, but when I went to the front desk I was greeted by two hotel employees leda and adriana who were amazingly helpful in solving my issues they really made my stay there amazing they were so quick to fix the issue i cant thank them enough ... and I cant wait to come baack...

1 Thank businessguy1067961
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear businessguy1067961,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. As the Assistant General Manager, I am pleased to read that Leda and Adrianna made such a postiive impression on you during your time with us. Please be assured I will be sharing your posting with both of them and recognizing them for a job well done. On behalf of the Empire Team, I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Service was understated, but good when needed. (f.E. late checkout 82 p.m.) was no problem. Leda Popoviq from the front desk was very friendly and helpful (printing out a voucher). We had the only a problem to leave the hotel :-), because the lock of the "keycard" room door was out of order. But help and assitance to solve problem was perfect and fast. So we had no problem to get our shuttle (Thanks for it)

Boston, MA
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We were only in the city for a single night. I was very excited to stay in this hotel, it looked great and got good reviews. I got a decent rate that included parking (a obvious bonus in Manhattan).

We checked in at 3pm and were informed that our room was clean and ready, but that the linens were not on the beds yet and would be there shortly. We went to put our bags in the room. The hotel had described itself as "recently renovated" but it was obvious this was not exactly true. Aside from the missing linens, the room seemed fine. I did a beg bug inspection and didn't see any signs of an infestation.

We out to a museum - came back a few hours later ~5pm...NO SHEETS. Beds still unmade! I went down to the desk to tell them politely. I was shrugged off, and assured they would be there "soon"...the person at the desk didn't even write down my room number. Went out to dinner - came back ~9pm...STILL NO SHEETS. I went to talk to the front desk again. AGAIN I was brushed off, and assured they would be there "soon"...the person AGAIN at the desk didn't even write down my room number.

We went out to see some live music - came back at 11PM and no sheet. I went down to complain again. This time the staff told to go back to my room and the sheet would be there right away. I asked them for some kind of compensation and they offered me 2 breakfast vouchers. At this point I was annoyed, but still being patient. We went back up to the room...30 minutes later someone knocked on the door with 2 pillow cases. It is now close to midnight. We are exhausted, had been traveling all day and wanted to got to bed.

Went back down to the front desk to talk to a manager. We were informed that there were NO sheets...REALLY? A hotel with over 400 hundred rooms doesn't have a single set of extra sheets? I had to beg a hotel all day since check-in for sheets? He offered us a room with a single bed. My partner has restless leg syndrome and we can't share a beg - so the answer was no. I booked a room with 2 beds. I paid for a room with 2 beds. I want a room with 2 beds.

When we finally got this resolved it was well after 12:30 AM. The sheets were mismatched - and I am guessing the stripped down beds from other rooms and cobbled together 2 incomplete sets of sheets for us.

Although the night manager seemed genuinely sorry and willing fix the problem, I was appalled by the fact that no one from 3pm - 11:30 seemed to take me seriously. I would not stay in the hotel again.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travel_joy_11
Dear travel_joy_11,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of The Empire Hotel. Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor outlining your experience at our Hotel. I am disappointed to hear of the challenges you encountered during your stay and would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We did have an issue with our linen on the night you stayed with us and have since rectified the issue with our service provider. Please be assured that I will follow up with my Front Office Team regarding your feedback as I am disaapointed to hear how we managed your requests for assistance that evening. I sincerely hope you will reconsider returning to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYC. I know we can do a much better job of providing you with the levels of service you deserve as our valuable guest.

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Extremely convenient if you are attending a peformance at Lincoln Center (Met Opera). I give the 15 out of 10 for the reservation process. The staff were great. Nice clean, recently remodeled hotel in central location.