“This hotel was a total disappointment.”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #341 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Alexandria, Virginia
“This hotel was a total disappointment.”
Reviewed 26 March 2011

If you care about service and cleanliness, this is not the hotel for you. While the lounge was nice and the restauant looked great, the rooms and service fell incredibly short. Our entire trip was an inconvenience. We reserved a non-smoking room and were put in a room/floor that smelt so strongly of smoke. Then, they moved us into another room for one night, which they called an upgrade but was clearly not an upgrade, for one night only. At that point, they moved us to another non-smoking room that wasn't an "upgrade" for the remainder of our stay. The shower and sink were clogged. So after 5 minutes in the shower, I was standing with water up to my ankles.
The worst part about this hotel was the way they handled the issues. We told management and several people at the front desk, and no one seemed to even care that we were dealing with issues. The attitude in the hotel is "if you don't like it leave," which is why I expect this hotel to go out of business within a couple of years. I would never return to this hotel. It was a waste of money and time, and it put a total damper on our vacation to NYC.

1 Thank taratravieso
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Dear taratravieso,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of The Empire Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at our Hotel. I am disappointed to hear of your experience as it is not representative of the level of service we are striving to provide our guests. Please be assured I will be reviewing your feedback with my entire Executive Team to identify what we could have done to ensure your comfort and satisfaction. I would also ask that you reach out to me directly at the Hotel to discuss your experience in greater detail. I hope we have an opportunity to speak as I would like to welcome you back as our valuable guest the next time your travles bring you to NYC. I look forward to hearing from you.

David McManus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I have been to NYC many times, but this was my first trip to the city with 2 small children and without my husband or anyone else to help "manage" the trip , so I had a few concerns. I booked through BookIt.com for the first time and was asked how trusting I was. I thought it was a strange question but I answered the agent by telling him that I was pretty trusting. He proceeded to tell me that he had a great deal on a very nice hotel but that I would not find out the name of the hotel until after my booking was complete. I was fine with that in general as I have used HOTWIRE.COM in the past but never for a NYC stay, I prefer to know where I will be staying in New York.. I went with it and booked 4 nights at what turned out to be THE EMPIRE HOTEL for less that what I have paid for 1 night at the RItz Carlton Central Park. I had never heard of the hotel so I read many online reviews, some good, some not so good. Because I know that there are people who complain just for the sake of complaining, I read reviews but take them for what they are....just someone elses opinion. And on this one, I am sooooooo glad that I did not let the not so good reviews sway me. . Our stay here was fabulous from the time we arrived by taxi, to the time that we left by taxi. The staff was beyond accommodating. Upon arrival the Doorman removed all of our bags, baby stuff, stroller etc. from the trunk before we were even out of the taxi and escorted us into the hotel lobby which is quite chic, modern and classy . Check in was pleasant and very smooth and we were even upgraded thanks to Mr. Chatham who prior to our arrival helped to resolve an issue that arose through no fault of The Empire Hotel. The arrangement of apples at the front desk is quite welcoming, but even more importantly the apples are absolutely delicious. A very nice touch. When we walked into our room my 4 years old said " I love this new house!!!". And that is just what it was for the next 4 days, it was like our home, maybe even better because I did not have to do any cooking or laundry. We had a lovely view of Columbus which my 4 year old was fascinated by. He made it his job to open the curtains and raise the blinds each morning. Housekeeping did a fantastic job with our room every day. Our room was clean every evening when we returned. There were always fresh towels and soap. There were even nice fluffy bathrobes and slippers in our room. I am really not sure why reviewers have so much to say about the shower, it was not an issue at all. The toiletries, which I usually don't use because I have my own personal favorites, are now my new favorites!!! Love, love, love them. The beds and pillows are heavenly. We had no problem with noise as some of the reviews mentionsed, we were in room 515. The location of The Empire Hotel just can't be beat. It is in close proximity to everything either by train or on foot. Yet you almost feel like a resident when you walk down 63rd. I actually bought fresh fruit every day at a fruit cart down the street. 7 bananas for $1, 16 ounces of strawberries for $1.50. A pint of blueberries for $1.50. This made me very, very happy!!! There is also a WHOLE FOODS store very close by. Central Park is just a short walk away. There are so many things that made our stay here an awesome one. We really would have loved to stay much longer. When it was time for us to head home, check out was just as smooth as our check in. My 4 year old had to take just one more apple for the road. And again , a Doorman was right there to assist with all of our stuff. He even held my 1 year old baby girl while I folded my stroller. The Empire Hotel is now my favorite NYC hotel for all of the reasons mentioned and many many more. We will definitely be back....and hopefully very soon. Thank you and very well done Empire Hotel staff!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear Alphamel,

As General Manager of The Empire Hotel, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that we are your new "Favorite Hotel" in New York City! I will be sharing your feedback with our entire team especially our Front Office Manager, Don Chatham. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Empire Hotel in the near future.

tulsa
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We stayed at the Empire for three nights, and found the experience very pleasant. Every staff person we interacted with, from the doorman to the people at the front desk, and the cleaning staff , was very pleasant and helpful. We requested a room with a view on a quiet floor, which was accommodated. The room was on the small side, but very clean and quiet. We reserved our room on Priceline, and found it to be an excellent value for the money. The bathroom was small, but workable. The location was great---just across the street from Lincoln Center, and a couple of blocks from Central Park. The weather was mild, so we didn't have issues with the heating or air conditioner. Would definitely recommend the Empire Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Dear ter1228,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review of The Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor! I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and all the Empire has to offer our guests. I look forward to sharing your positive feedback with our staff as I know they will appreciate hearing they made your stay so memorable! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the very near future!

Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed 23 March 2011

The staff was GREAT.The whole weekend was GREAT we couldn't have asked for a better stay..If you go to New York you should stay at The Empire Hotel..Sean and the whole staff made us feel at home

Dear soundman68,

There is nothing better than enjoying an amazing weekend in New York City at The Empire Hotel! We are so glad we played such a critical role in your amazing weekend away. Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I look forward to sharing it with our amazing Team - especially Sean. Hope you have another opportunity to have another weekend back at The Empire Hotel soon!

Reviewed 21 March 2011

Rooms weren't ready until 4:30 which was ok but they have no shower doors...water goes everywhere and makes a complete mess....you have to pay to print anything and you are paying 200-350 a night...over priced and barely mediocre at best...would not chose to stay here willingly again

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Wardog22
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear wardog22,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. As General Manager of the Hotel, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest of our Hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in greater detail. Please contact me directly at the Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you and hope you will consider returning to the Empire Hotel in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This hotel has a lovely bar and leisure area. The staff was very friendly and the concierge extremely helpful. As with any hotel in New York, this hotel was as well, very small. Four of us stayed in a room with 2 double beds. There was barely enough room to place our luggage to allow for walking space. The bathroom was smaller than my coat closet back home. So there was definitely not enough room for four woman to get ready each day. Luckily the bedroom did have a large mirror. It was a warm week in New York during our stay. The air conditioning was a joke. So the room did get a bit hot.

This hotel is a bit north of Time Square - but only about a 15-20 minute walk. The subway is easily accessible - and it's a 2 minute walk to Central Park.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dear mitzilwhite,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of The Empire Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you found our staff to be friendly and that you had an opportunity to enjoy our beautiful lobby space. I do apologize that we did not exceed your expectations in regards to the temperature in your room and the size of the restroom. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Team to identify what we could have done proactively to ensure a more comfortable experience. I do hope you will reach out to us in the near future as we would appreciate the oppportunity to welcome you back to the Empire Hotel again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 March 2011

As they say first impressions are most important. After a long flight got to the Empire for check-in and ran into an arrogant desk clerk. Simple questions were answered with quick dismissive remarks. Now maybe in India(hint, hint) this is allowed but as I've travelled all over the world I've had better. The other complaint was the heater. Tried to turn it off, unplug it, turn on AC, nothing worked. So we opened the window over Broadway and the room cooled off. Of course when we returned to the room the next night, housekeeping had shut the window and the room once again was a sauna.

Now for the positives. Overall excellent hotel in a great location. Rest of staff were pleasant and helpful. Never made it to the rooftop, but appears very popular so you never have to leave the hotel for a nightlife. Rooms were nice, and I have to disagree with the comments on the decor. Its not outstanding but they did an excellent job making it cozy and elegant enough for the space provided. I've seen much worse and much more garish. My only complaint was the comfort of some of the furniture in bar area.

So again pleasantly surprised. And for the money excellent value. I'd actually highly recommend except for the first impression provided by that arrogant kid at the front desk.

I see negative comments on the shower. Its a rain head with no door. The head of shower tilts slightly toward the front wall. If you getting water on the floor than you should use it as designed. Put your back to the front wall and face backward. The water will hit perfectly and no water on floor. I had no trouble either way.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jcush1
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear jcush1,

I couldn't agree more with you that first impressions are lasting impressions! As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I sincerely appreciate you sharing your feedback on your recent stay at the Empire Hotel. We are placing a concentrated effort on the service levels being provided at our front desk and look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire team. I am glad we were able to "turn things around" during your stay and apologize that the initial interaction with one of our associates was not a positive one.I hope you will consider returning to the Empire Hotel in hte near future. I would appreciate the opportunity to make a second - first impression!