“Location Good”

Ranked #339 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cleveland Ohio
“Location Good”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Location is perfect for the restored hotel near the Lincoln Center. Easy to get in and out verse the hotels around the theater district. From those logistical aspects this is a nice spot. Walking in the door I thought I was in a Star Wars bar with planets from around the universe well represented. It isn't a typical business style but frankly it was just fine. Rooms are small but adequate and I thought the shower stall was nicely sized with a large overhead fixture. I could see the city street so I did hear some sounds at night but that wasn't over the top. Could have used a water bottle in the room and the heating/cooling system is from a black and white movie era. For a Hotwire purchase it gets better than average marks.

Room Tip: I think the street view helped but added to the noise factor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear the Keene Guy,

Thank you for your feedback posting on TripAdvisor regarding your recent experience at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Driving up to this hotel is a treat. The location is just SO good, close to Trump Plaza, Central Park and we even managed to walk to 5thAvenue. Although we did get a cab back. The doorman allows you to enter a smallish lobby, very modern and impressive.
The room iteself was on the small side, but then again it is new york. The room was a modern treat, decked out in neutral browns and creams. Egyptian cotton sheets and impossibly plump pillows. Quite pricy, but a lovely hotel for a special occassion.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear toralkeshwala,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of the Empire Hotel on TripAdivosr. As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am pleased to hear your stay exceeded your expectations. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Great situation, very comfy beds, small room but as expected in NYC, very helpful concierge, plentiful towels and toiletries in the room, powerful shower in small bathroom, great hairdryer supplied, quiet room. Last stayed here after refurb when all was now and shiny - needing a bit of a freshen up now. Main areas are very attractive, cocktails are superb. No free Wi- fi but Starbucks under the hotel has

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank happydaysscot
Dear happydaysscot,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the entore Empire team and look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Given the location, the hotel price was reasonable compared to others. Walking distance to Central Park and Times Square as well as many restaurants, etc. The only frustrating part of my experience was the door banging housekeepers first thing in the morning. It was ridiculous. The banging and slamming of doors was a constant all morning long!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Stephishu
Dear Stephishu,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager at the property, I am happy to hear you enjoyed our amazing location. I would like to apologize for the challenges you experienced with the noise coming from our corridors and please be assured I will address your concerns with our Director of Housekeeping. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I traveled to NYC for business, and stayed here for one night. I selected this hotel solely based on proximity to my business meeting, figuring I could manage just about anything for one night.

First, the good. I was greeted upon check-in by Helena, who was very friendly and helpful. I was upgraded to a junior suite (I had a king room reserved; the jr suite adds a couch, chair, and coffee table), which I'm glad for, as I can't imagine what the size of a regular room would be given how small the junior suite was - but of course, small room size isn't a big surprise given the nature of the hotel. (The bathroom was also on the small size but very managable.) More plusses: the bed was very comfortable, and the shower had an overhead rain shower head with handheld attachment and great water pressure.

Now the bad. Now, I'm a self-admitted hotel snob, but generally if a place is clean, upkept, and modern, I'm fine with it. My room - well, it was literally worn around the edges, which I found somewhat offputting. The dressers, night tables, a side table, and cabinetry in the bathroom were laminated particleboard (not a problem in and of itself) but the laminate was worn down around ALL the edges and made the furniture, etc. look pretty shabby. The caulking in the bathroom was in desperate need of replacement - no mold or the like (thank goodness) but just plain worn and ugly. One of the floor lamps was missing the knob to turn it on - it had just the small post the knob goes on, making it tricky to turn on. Also, there was no bathmat in my bathroom - I had to use a hand towel. Sure I could have called about the last two items, but I was there working and really did not wish to be disturbed.

One final point - others have commented on the lack of a coffee maker in the room. This is indeed the case, but there is a Starbucks literally next door to the hotel, so no in-room coffee wasn't so bad.

Overall, my experience was ok. I would stay there again if it was conveniently located to where I needed to be in NYC as it was this past trip. Otherwise, I don't think I'd go out of my way to stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SLO_Reviewer
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear SLO Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the General Manager of the Hotel,
I am pleased to hear that Helena provided you with an upgrade and a high level of service upon arrival. I appreciate your feedback regarding the condition of the furniture in your suite and will be sharing your feedback with my Executive Team to address accordingly. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire Hotel in the near future.

David McManus
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I stayed here at end of Sept not out of choice. The hotel is only two star quality.
Firstly they put me in a room on the top floor that smells of chlorine coming from the pool on the roof.
Then I get moved to another room - paint chiped etc. Towels, bath mat never replaced during week long stay. I had only one bath mat once during a full week's stay. Wardrobe only hung mens shirts eg not long enough to hang a dress.
I put dry cleaning out twice early and called to advise in the AM. TWICE I returned to find the dry cleaning still in my room and they hadn't collected.. and they still CHARGED by bill for this.
Front desk not helpful and I asked for an umbrella one day and was happy for it to be charged to my room - they just said they don't have any period. What type of hotel has such poor level of service???
I would never recommend anyone staying here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank LDNNYC11
Dear LDNNYC11;

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the General Manager of the Hotel, I would like to personally apologize for the challenges you experienced. Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with our Executive Team to address your concerns within their respective Departments. Please contact me at the Hotel to discuss your experience in greater detail. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future.

David McManus

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Wilmington NC
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I was most surprised at the size of our rom. It was quite spacious especially by New York standards. My only real complaint was that there was not a coffeemaker in the room. Otherwise the bed was quite comfortable. The personal products were upscale and plentiful. Zackat the front desk could not have been more accommodating. A very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2011