“Very average”

Ranked #341 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Austin,TX
“Very average”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Good for a solo business traveller that gets a deal via priceline. Otherwise, if you are paying full price, you'll probably be disappointed. My room was small and had a strong chlorine smell. The doormen are creepy, not made for the job. My room was right next to elevator, but thankfully I didn't hear them; even when the very loud in-room A/C was off.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank originalsix
Empiregmanager, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
Dear originalsix,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the General Manager of the Empire, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in greater detail and would appreciate if you could contact me directly at the Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to welcome you back to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYCf.

David McManus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was totally blown away by the beautiful interior of my room (three windows facing into two directions); the unique corner layout of my junior suite; and the fabulously cozy kingsize bed. There was also a sleeper sofa in the room so that easily four people could be in the room without claustrophobia setting in. All the electronics equipment (large size TV; iPod docking station; phone) were pretty new and super clean which cannot be taken for granted - especially not in New York City. Although it was closed for the winter, I checked out the site of the spectacular roof deck pool. The entire suite was immaculately clean and all of the staff I contacted for whatever reasons during my stay was exceptionally forthcoming and helpful. I honestly wish I could have stayed longer and have no hesitation to recommend the hip Empire Hotel to single travelers (important especially for us women!) and groups alike. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Dear katjams 1

Well, we wish you could have stayed longer too!! Thank you for providing us with you valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We were in the City form Oct 13-16, and most of our activities were at Lincoln Center. After reading the previous reviews, my fingers were crossed about The Empire. Our stay was great! The deluxe King room was beautiful and the Italian linens (including the top sheet!) were a treat. We had a view of Lincoln Center, which we loved. Check-in and check-out were effortless and the staff incredibly helpful and pleasant. We were on the 2nd floor and heard quite a bit of noise from the street, but it IS New York! The proximity to the subway was convenient, the concierge helpful with directions, and Ed's Chowder House amazing. Even a movie being shot in front of the hotel did not inconvenience us in any way. Thank you, Empire staff, for a delightful experience!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Judy_Mansky,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a wonderful location, great product and a staff that really strives to ensure every guest feels at home. Sounds like you were also here when we had one of our "Gossip Girl" television shoots! Very exciting! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Vancouver
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The hotel room was small for the wife & I - but that is standard for the city. Outside of the city the rooms are much larger. The King size bed was comfortable and it was nice to have a safe. The closet for hanging your clothes were the size of a broom closet. You can hear the running water from next door. No free WiFi - there is a surcharge, but next door is Strabucks and. Luggage space is very limited. No coffee maker if you wanted to have a cup of tea, but again there is Starbucks. Not use to the half door glass shower stall and the other side is open to splash water onto the floor when u use too much water pressure. There was no lamp at the desk. The hotel is located 1 block away from Central Park - great for a walk and rental bikes are available at the beginning of the park at 59st. Columbus Circle on Broadway. The subway trains stations are nearby which is a plus. Time Square is within walking distance and so are the Broadway Shows. You pay more for this hotel, but it is better than commuting from New Jersey or areas outside of the city. Would definitely stay in New York City because of its ammenties. Took the Bus to Ground Zero so that we could get a view of the city areas. Then took subway trains to Flushing Meadows and it was easy to travel to SOHO, CHINATOWN, GREENWICH VILLAGE, ITALIAN TOWN - so much to see and eat.

Room Tip: Stay away near Elevators - too much traffic walking to the rooms if you want some quiet time early i...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear toyshan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had an opportunity to experience the surrounding neighborhood. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Toronto
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This is a good overall hotel. After reading some of the posts here, I must say it is neither as bad as some say it is nor as good as a 5-star.

It is great in terms of location. It sits right across from Lincoln Center and 5 minutes away from Columbus Circle (subway stop). Few minutes walk to either Central Park or the Museum of Natural History. Furthermore, it got a Starbucks and Duane Reade (Drug Store + Convenient Store) - a big plus in my book.

Once you step inside, it has a very chic lobby. I suspect they are aiming for the W-Hotel crowd here. The room is definitely on the small side, but on par with other hotel rooms in NYC and some European cities.

The room was clean with decent amenities. As per some of the comments, I laughed when I observed the non-closing drawers. The drawers do pop out if one closes it too quickly. Just need to close slowly and they will stay shut. A non-issue but funny nevertheless.

I didn't get a chance to visit the roof top bar however.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floor to avoid the music and crowd at the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Biggesthead,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to personally thank you for providing us with your feedback of our property on TripAdvisor. We take our guest's feedback very personally and utilize it as a tool to assist us in identifying new ways of enhancing our services to our guests. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to sharing your insights with our Executive Team. Hope to see you at the Empire the next time your travels bring you back to NYC.

Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Location is perfect for the restored hotel near the Lincoln Center. Easy to get in and out verse the hotels around the theater district. From those logistical aspects this is a nice spot. Walking in the door I thought I was in a Star Wars bar with planets from around the universe well represented. It isn't a typical business style but frankly it was just fine. Rooms are small but adequate and I thought the shower stall was nicely sized with a large overhead fixture. I could see the city street so I did hear some sounds at night but that wasn't over the top. Could have used a water bottle in the room and the heating/cooling system is from a black and white movie era. For a Hotwire purchase it gets better than average marks.

Room Tip: I think the street view helped but added to the noise factor
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear the Keene Guy,

Thank you for your feedback posting on TripAdvisor regarding your recent experience at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future.

london
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Driving up to this hotel is a treat. The location is just SO good, close to Trump Plaza, Central Park and we even managed to walk to 5thAvenue. Although we did get a cab back. The doorman allows you to enter a smallish lobby, very modern and impressive.
The room iteself was on the small side, but then again it is new york. The room was a modern treat, decked out in neutral browns and creams. Egyptian cotton sheets and impossibly plump pillows. Quite pricy, but a lovely hotel for a special occassion.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear toralkeshwala,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of the Empire Hotel on TripAdivosr. As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am pleased to hear your stay exceeded your expectations. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.