“Awesome location and a great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #315 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver
“Awesome location and a great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is in a great location. Right next to Lincoln Center, and less than 2 blocks from Central Park.
The staff are friendly and the rooms are quite nice. It is an older hotel, but very welll kept.
The night roof top night club is one of NY City's more popular spots. There are lineups Friday and Saturday night, but the staff managing the line will allow hotel guests up.
If you only visit New York rarely, its worth paying a premium to stay in Manhattan, and at a hotel like the Empire.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear blacktop_gypsy,

As the General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I am so pleased ot hear you had an oppostunity to enjoy our amazing location directly across from Lincoln Center and just down the street from Central Park. I look forward to sharing your posting with our staff as they work hard to ensure we are exceeding our guest's expectations. Hope to welcome you back to the Empire Hotel in the near future.

David McManus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Empire Hotel in June for our annual NY summer weekend. The hotel has a very modern feel with a busy lobby bar where we started and ended almost every evening. There is a roof top pool with great views of the city, and the concierge was very helpful with dining recommendations and theater tickets. The hotel is across the street from the NY Ballet and in walking distance to wonderful shopping and places to eat. We would stay here again. My only complaint is that the spigot on the bathroom sinks is wrong for the shallow sink, so everytime I washed my hands, I got water all over the place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear JulieRush,

Thank you for posting your review of the Empire on TripAdvisor. As the General Manager of the Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced everything we have to offer our guests. Please be assured I will share your feedback regarding the sinks with my Director of Engineering to review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Rockaway Beach, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

We just got back from our one night "vacation" at the Empire. We live in Queens and with two kids, sneaking away for one night was all we could do. We had tickets to a show at the Beacon Theatre and decided to spend the night in the city. As soon as you walk into the hotel you know you are not in the W or one of the other chain hotels that are carbon copies of themselves in every city. The entire hotel is pure New York and has truly done a great job preserving the history of the property while updating it beautifully with every modern amenity. Our room was a junior suite and I don't know the actual dimensions but the unique shape gave us a view of Lincoln center on one side and a peak of central park on the other. It was truly beautiful, especially at night. Being a New Yorker from the outer boroughs I am never impressed with New York, but the location, attention to detail, excellent service and of course the snowstorm 2 days before Halloween made it such a romantic "trip" for my husband and I.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Empiregmanager, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear KrisMac _ 11,

Wow!!!! As the General Manager of the Empire, it is reviews such as yours that make me so proud of my team and our property! Sounds like you had the perfect "staycation" at the Empire and I couldn't be happier to hear that we exceeded your expectations! Don't wait until the next snowstorm to come back! We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed here at the end of our honeymoon before returning home. The hotel is ideally located in Manhattan near central park.
We arrived to the hotel after a red eye flight at 6am. We hoped but were not expecting to be able to check in so early. But this hotel were able to accomodate us (with a small room upgrade charge) and got us a room which were delighted to get as we both were very tired at this stage.

Getting checked in so early like this effectively gave us an extra night's stay. The room was even serviced for us that morning which I was not expecting.

The hotel is clean and well maintained. It has been recently renovated I understand and is definately top quality. The room (upgraded) was spacious and we had no faults. You often hear of hotel rooms in NY where you can't swing a cat, so this room was a pleasure for us both. Tea / Coffee making facillities were in the room with free Wifi in the lobby area (charged in the room).

All staff were friendly and helpful. The concierage helped with our airport transfer when leaving.

The bar is trendy and modern and seemed busy every night with both guests and non guests. The prices however are in keeping with the style and a bit high. The automatic gratuity added to the bar bills didn't help the prices.

All in all - a lovely stay and we will definately be keeping this hotel in mind for our future visits to NYC.

Dear LenoLegend,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. As the GM of the Empire, I am so pleased to hear my team accomodated your early arrival and that you found your room to be a good size. Congratulations on your wedding! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

room typically small for NY but served it's purpose. Chris the Concierge is the bomb! He made our stay in NYC fabulous! He was more than helpful- he went that extra mile and always appeared pleased to do so. Every hotel should have a Chris! He is the the KIng of the Concierge!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Dear magsprice,

Thank you for posting your feedback of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear you enjoy your stay and I agree that Chris is the "bomb"! I look forward to sharing your posting with him. He does an amazing job! Look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future!

Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

I recommend the Empire to anyone traveling to NYC who is interested in a great location and excellent service. The hotel staff -- from Michelene at the front desk to Mike at the door and many others -- was amazingly helpful and very friendly. My room was typically small for NYC but efficient. A no-nonsense traveler, I enjoy hotels that go out of their way to be greener and more efficient. In spite of its size, my tenth floor room had what I needed to make my stay comfortable. Wifi was complimentary, the bed and linens were super comfortable, the shower was powerful, the bathroom was well-stocked with plush towels and soaps/shampoos/lotions, and the flat-screen TV provided the news I needed at the end of my long days. What little I did not find, the staff gladly and quickly provided. In addition, I was able to print my boarding pass at the office center free of charge. I enjoyed the hotel's chic decor and beautiful vintage design. I also noticed an active night scene in the lobby/bar area, although I was busy and did not partake of it. One cannot beat this amazing location... a stone's throw from Central Park, Columbus Circle, Lincoln Center, the subway lines, a Starbucks, and so much more.

Room Tip: For those who want big rooms, you can pay more and get a suite. A colleague said her suite was huge...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear F B,

As the Assistant General Manager at the Empire, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire Empire Team. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Letterkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Our visit to New York should have started in late August for three nights but as we were travelling from Boston on Amtrak we were delayed for two days by hurricane Irene.

This meant we arrived at 6pm on our last day feeling very tired and jaded. Our booking at the Empire Hotel had been cancelled instead of reduced to 1 night by our UK agent, so this felt like the final straw.

How wrong we were however, with a very supportive team on front desk , who simply said "dont worry we will make sure you have the rooms you need for tonight". This level of support continued the next day as we were unable to get information on our ongoing Amtrak service, and were offered a later checkout whilst the Concierge tried to get information. This level of customer service was really excellent, and made our stay a pleasure. Well done !!. (Sorry this review has not been done earlier).
The public areas in the hotel are excellent, with a beautiful period style to the lounge area adjacent to the front desk, and a modern well decorated restaurant, where we enjoyed a very good breakfast.
Our rooms were good with excellent en suite facilities, and although they were small were large enough for our needs.
Previous reviews were correct in this respect, and for us the biggest drawback was definately the single glazing on the windows which allowed traffic noise to penitrate.

We balanced this against the location of the hotel with the small Dante park in front which offers a glimpse of greenery, and keeps the main streets to each side, plus the fact that the Lincoln Centre for performing arts is alongside, and Central Park is just 1 block away. A short walk takes you down Broadway to Times Square and we felt fortunate to have been close enough to have got a glimpse of the New York we wanted to see.
We feel this a good location for visitors.

Would we return? Yes - a short stay (up to 3 days) would be on the cards for 2012.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear Alleyns,

Thank you for posting your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel thru TripAdvisor. Travelling during Hurrican Irene was indeed difficult and I can only imagine how exhausted you were upon arrival! I am so proud to hear that our staff was so supportive during such a difficult time for all our guests. I can tell you that it is during times like these that it becomes very clear how much our team really cares for our guests and wants to ensure their comfort at all times. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire and hope the weather cooperates next time around!!!