“Not Up to Expectations”

Ranked #308 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ramsey
“Not Up to Expectations”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The heating unit was totally uncontrollable. Had to unplug the unit completely to get the room down to a tolerable temperature. Guest closet was so poorly designed that you could not hang any long garments. There was no hot water in the shower for well over 20 minutes. And the glass panel in shower stall itself, which was European style, was not installed on the correct side of the stall. So, water during the shower went all over the small bathroom floor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear John A,

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I appreciate your candid comments which will allow us to correct deficiencies and make improvements. I appreciate you bringing the room challenges to our attention. I have also sent you a message via Trip Advisor so that I may locate the room number. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel. We have many room options available and the next time you stay with us, I would be happy to personally find one that is best for you.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (969)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California, Usa
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I wanted to like the place, due to it's excellent location, but couldn't. The positive things were Ed's Chowder House restaurant within the hotel, A+ food and service (waiter Luis). Also noteworthy is the black female bartender in the lobby's bar (makes a mean Cosmo). Other than that the facility does not have a professional staff nor are the staff attending to details like assisting with hailing a cab or opening the front door in bad weather. Accommodations were not what was promised. Pull-out sofa bed had a badly stained mattress. The staff is disorganized and the Concierge can't be a professional due to his condescending nature, in the long run wasn't helpful at all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear CandiGirl90266,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. Your feedback is unusual and not typical for our staff.
I have shared your comments with our Front Office Management team and we will address accordingly. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Cincinnati
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Excellent location for events in Lincoln Center. Convenient to subway and taxis are always available. Can walk to the theater district on a good day. Restaurants nearby. Safe, excellent service. Rooms and bathrooms are small.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear John J H,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share online your experience at the Hotel Empire.
I am happy to hear you had a great time and enjoyed your stay with us. Our commitment is to create special and memorable moments for our guests all the times.
I hope you found at the Empire your new home away from home!
Do not wait too long before you come back to visit us.
Please feel free to contact me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and I will be more than happy to personally assist on your future reservation.
All the best,
Maurizio Bonivento
GM@empirehotelnyc.com
Las Vegas
Reviewed 17 December 2013

It appears the hotel finally figured out how to stop the shower flooding with redesigning the shower space with a little wall. or maybe I just got a lucky room this time. Either way, no flooding this time.
Love the atmosphere at the property and for the price, it is an NYC deal!
Employees are super helpful and nice.
Love the apples at the front desk and special black/white cookies I get when I check in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have stayed at the Empire for many years. The rooms are extremely nice and well maintained. The management and staff are a delight. I cannot imagine staying at another hotel in new York City.
Thank you Empire.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jim M
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Jim M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. We welcome all guest feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve what we offer and learn from our guests’ experiences. It is awesome to hear that the location of the hotel and service provided by our friendly staff met your expectations. I am glad you found us and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you for staying at The Empire Hotel.

Happy Holidays,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
Sandy Hook
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked our reservations on the phone through hotel. My husband and I were traveling with my two children ages 4 and 1. We were promised a suite connecting to a room. When we checked in (after waiting over 2 hrs for our room to be ready) we found rooms were on opposite ends of the hotel. After speaking with the manager his very rude suggestion was to say "well can't you split the children up?"- I cannot believe this was their idea of a fix. The wasn't the only problem, but the worst of them. Will NEVER stay here again. DO not stay here with a family. Apparently there is a night club we were not told of and heard booming music through the walls until the wee hours of the morning. Ridiculous!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Sandra C
Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Convenient & enjoyable for a Lincoln Center visit. Staff friendly, accommodating. Rooms complete with amenities and quick response for any needs. Hoping to make this my home when visiting my Juilliard student.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends