“Room for improvement”

Ranked #331 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed here 15th dec for 5 nights. Not a Christmas tree in sight, not festive at all glad that I hadn't booked to stay for Christmas.
Staff who we saw were friendly but when we actually wanted some advise were told to wait for the concierge waited so long got better advise from the door man!
We travelled with my daughter her room seemed to not be ready ie no curtains, no coffee making facilities no ipod dock as advertised, when spoke to reception told we don't have these facilities for every room , then why advertise that you do. Also you have to pay for the coffee etc. We have stayed in a lot lower rated hotel and had free drink making facilities across the globe would have expected better from here. The rooms where exceptionally hot although the outside
temp was about -5 it was far to hot, the air con didn't work and the window did not open.
Although there is a restaurant on the premises we did not eat there but it always looked busy.
Starbucks just outside open from 0530 great for getting your early morning coffees and watching the world go by cheaper than in the hotel. Free wifi.
My comments may sound negative, I expected better for the price. The rooms where clean and of reasonable size beds comfy. The carpets in general through out the hotel needed a good clean. I would say that value for money here is poor and while I appreciate that we hadn't gone to NYC to stay in the hotel I did expect a little more than we got.
Location was pretty central walking distance to time square, central park, fifth avenue etc. We only used the subway and a taxi once during our stay.
You have to pay for wifi $12+ for 24hrs, although free in the lobby.
Gym facilities average no provision of water available.
Would I stay here again? No.

Room Tip: we stayed in rooms 809, 807. no view looked into the middle of the building. They were quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Gina159,
Thank you for sharing your experience and for giving me the opportunity to answer you online.
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and that you would not come back. Our goal is to create memorable experiences for our hotel guest. It looks like we fail and I am very disappointed.
We do offer ipod docking station in all the rooms. Occasionally we need to replace broken units and I am sure this is what happened with your room. We do not advertise coffee maker in the room, even if we are installing them in all guest rooms. Please if you find some website with this wrong information, can you please email to me at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and I will take care right away.
I hope you will give us another chance in the near future. Please email me directly and I will personally assist you with the reservation.
GM@empirehotelnyc.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Went for a wedding and all out -of -town guests stayed here. This was the very worst bathroom I've seen in any hotel. Ever. Including hole-in-the walls in the middle of nowhere on the way to New Mexico or Colorado from LA. No light at all. It was so bad I went out to try and buy light bulbs --- no easy feat in Manhattan on a Sunday. In the end I had to do make-up for the wedding outside in a cab. There was no closet -- the wedding was black tie and we had to drape our gowns and tuxes over the furniture. We were on the floor under the club and were disturbed all night -- not by the music --- but by the loose tiles that management had never fixed. Any time anyone walked or rolled something over the huge cement tiles, it sounded like a a herd of elephants overhead. Moreover, there are no doormen -- just guys hanging out and smoking. No one even opens the door when you arrive with luggage. Only good thing -- the manager was so nice that we couldn't stay angry.

Room Tip: Do not stay under the club!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear JKAhd,
Please email me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com with more details about your stay I am confused with your comments about the tile.
I am happy to hear that one of our manager was dealing with you directly while you were staying with us.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have recently stayed at The Empire Hotel and loved it. The room was beautiful and the staff very friendly. One staff member that stood out was Nicole Agnello. She was very friendly and helpful during the booking and planning process.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Steph52887
Thank you for sharing online your nice experience at the Hotel Empire.
I am happy to hear you had a great time and enjoyed your stay with us. Our commitment is to create special and memorable moments for our guests all the times. It looks like Nicole really made the difference.
I hope you found at the Empire your new home away from home!
Do not wait too long before you come back to visit us.
Please feel free to contact me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and I will be more than happy to personally assist on your future reservation.
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Empire and in our departure we left behind some medical equipment that I use for sled apnea. We contacted the hotel and were placed in touch with Security and Mr. Bernard Obas. Mr. Obas was very prompt in seeing that this equipment was located and returned to me. In fact, I received the package just a day or two after my request went out. I was very thankful for his efficiency.

This was our second stay at the Empire Hotel and mostly it is a fine getaway hotel on the West Side, close to Lincoln Center, Time Warner and Central Park. It is modestly priced and the rooms, although not huge, are adequate and commensurate with the cost and are quiet and clean. The room is well stocked with almost everything you can need (including an iPhone 5 adapter that I had forgotten to bring). Practically speaking though, there was no true closet in the room so for a longer stay Im not sure that the room is suitable.

Dear Magdadtrip,

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the location, service and amenities we offer met your expectations. It is honest and productive feedback like yours that allow us to make improvements to our product and operation. I appreciate you mentioning Bernard from our security team. They work hard to provide a safe and secure environment in addition to their commitment to service. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you ever need assistance at The Empire. I am thrilled you had a memorable NYC experience and we were a part of it. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The high-points of this hotel > the location and Chris at the Concierge desk. He was very helpful. The atmosphere was modern and pleasing to the senses. However, if you are there in the Winter you will need a coat to sit at the bar in the lobby as they keep the entrance doors open.

Dear Nena T,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled that our hotel and the service of Chris and the Front Office team met your expectations. I will be sure to share your review with them. They love to hear positive feedback from our guests. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel. The Holiday Season is the perfect time to visit NYC. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 December 2013

great room, loved our experience thank you I wish we had more towela but other than that it was great. I would reccomend it to all of outr friends who are traveling to New York. Please let us know if you have any deals or promotions coming up.

Dear Annaleigh A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. We welcome all guest feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve what we offer and learn from our guests’ experiences. It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed your visit and will recommend The Empire to family and friends. I sent you a message via Trip Advisor for more information on seasonal specials and promotions. January and February is a great time to visit NYC with great rates and the Superbowl approaching. If you need ever need a contact at The Empire do not hesitate to reach me at gm@empirehotelnyc.com. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to New York.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Great location but staff was not attentive to simple needs and doormen made you feel uncomfortable every time you left or arrived back to building. Huge disappointment overall. Location is key and walking distance to everything!

Dear Lori M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. Your feedback is unusual and not typical for our staff.
I have shared your comments with our Front Office Management team and we will address accordingly. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel.