“Great Location for first trip to NY”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #350 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed in the Empire Hotel over Christmas for a week.
On arrival we were given our rooms, we requested next door rooms and they were only a few doors away which was great.
On entering the rooms they were so hot and stuffy we managed to get one air-conditioning unit working but the other would not work but after maintenance came and plugged it in everything was great. We did have to keep it on the whole time as the hotel was so hot and it blocked out the road noise.
There is in the room the most well stocked mini bar which was very expensive and a tray of goodies on the top with peanuts, jelly beans, wine, equally as expensive. Even the complimentary bottle of water had a tag on it saying you would be charged $7 if you drank it. It you used the umbrella (which we had to do as it was pouring one day) there was a label on that saying there would be a charge of I think $40 if it was lost and if you dare us the laundry bag and take it home there was a charge of $40 for that. It left you feeling that if you touched anything you would be charged so we moved everything out of the way.
It would be much better looking to put tea and coffee making facilitates in the room free which would leave a better taste in the mouth.
However the toiletries in the bathroom were free and were topped up every day.
The rooms are compact and we did even ring down to check we had been given superior rooms which is what we paid for as they were small but they were very clean and the beds were amazingly comfortable.
The only other thing that needs work is the concierge. When we booked the hotel we did so after reading the reviews and most people said how helpful the concierge was but this was not what we found. We wanted tickets see the basketball at Madison Square Gardens on
Christmas Day, we looked on line before we left but did not know the best seats and thought we could be advised when we arrived. The concierge gave us a price which was $200 more than we could get on line, when we asked if there were cheaper tickets, we were told that he did not do cheap and this was the only price. We do not do cheap either as this was a lot of money for one event but we did not need to be told in that way. We did not appreciate it.
The hotel is in a great situation and if it is your first trip to NY and you have to see everything then this is perfect location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to be away from the road noise. Check what size the room is.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
maurizio b, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear mothership2013,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience online.
I really appreciate your honest feedback and I will address your comments with the concierge.
We try to keep our prices in line with the market place. These include the minibar and other amenities in the guest room.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room and that our engineering team managed to fix the AC problem.
I hope to see you back at the Empire soon. Please feel free to contact me directly at GM@empirehotelnyc.com and I will be more than happy to personally assist on your future reservation.
GM@empirehotelnyc.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,249)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My boyfriend and I went with a couple of friends to this spot for New Year's Eve. I personally had high expectations for this place considering the many reviews saying this is one of the major spots to go to for NYE. Honestly, I beg to differ with the reviews I've heard thus far. So upon arrival, the bouncers were not very pleasant and very rude when spoken to, similar as the last experience we had a couple months back when we JUSTwanted to see what the roof top was like. It took us 1/2 hr for coat check for both dropping off and picking up our jackets, the floors were slippery because of all the drinks that were spilled I slipped myself but gladly wasn't hurt. The venue was just too small you literally had to push people just to make your way through as if everyone was a pack of sardines. I mean all I can say was the bartenders did a great job that night.... Hopefully, their tips were good to them too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay at the Empire. It was clean tidy and good service. The rooms were cleaned daily and new sheets and towels if needed . The one and only problem we had was New Years Eve they expected is to pay 150 dollars each to go into the residents bar. Which I thought was over the top as we were staying there .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dawniemac12,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience online.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room and the service in general.
I do apology for the New Year’s Eve confusion. Every year we do a masquerade event open to the public and hotel guests. As an alternative we keep the Ed Chowder house bar open for our guest. I hope you managed to get a drink there.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our party were visiting from Scotland for a wedding in January and were seeking an appropriate venue to celebrate New Year. Gabriel at the Empire was most accommodating of all our requirements; food, beverage and age ranges etc. The hotel lobby area is extremely pleasant and we were given the mezzanine are for the duration of the evening including a 3 course sit down dinner. The masquerade theme was fantastic and would definately recommend this for future new years celebrations. The staff on the night couldn't be more helpful and a special thanks to Gabriel for organising this over many emails.

Room Tip: Party members who resided at the Empire were very happy with their stay
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear GosScot,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience online.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed our Masquerade event for New Year’s Eve. We will do the same next year. I hope you will come back!
I spoke to Gabriel about your event during the planning phase. He was very happy that you choose our venue.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The location is absolutely PERFECT for the metropolitan opera. Literally 10 minutes from final curtain to hotel room! The west-side location is also very convenient to Central Park, and to the underground via Columbus Circle station.

The hotel seemed extremely expensive for what you get -- but I'll readily admit that I am not a regular New York traveler, and by the standards of that city it was probably very reasonable -- a little over $1000 for three nights. The room was small, with only a shower and no tub, but quiet and comfortable enough.

The front desk staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and found me a room when, upon arrival, I realized that I had booked on the wrong night! The booking error was mine, not theirs, but they went out of their way to help me. All in all, a good experience, a great location, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derek S

Dear Derecks,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience online.
I am happy to hear you found our front desk helpful and friendly. This is really our daily goal!
I agree with you about the location. It is simply perfect if you want to visit Manhattan.
Our rates are aligned with normal NYC pricing, and generally offering good value for the rate.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed this past weekend at the Empire Hotel and cannot say enough about the excellent location. It is close to Lincoln Center, Rock Center, Central Park and art museums (MOMA, Frick and Met). Starbucks on the corner below was also a plus!
There were a couple of negatives though- there was a lot of noise from the street below. We were on the 5th floor and facing the street. Maybe go higher or toward the back of the building if you want a more quiet room. Also, the walls are paper thin. We could hear a lot of the conversations from the room beside us.
The hotel itself is beautifully decorated. The room was small but nicely arranged. The shower was excellent.
One last negative was $3.00 for the in room coffee...really??? you couldn't throw that in at no cost?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear shaugman,
Thank you for staying with us and for giving me the opportunity to respond you online.
I agree with you about the location. It is simply perfect!
I do apology about the street noise. There were some emergency repairs to be done due to the construction of the new city water line. They finally finished!
Let me know if you planning your next trip to NYC. I will definitely take care of the coffee charges!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was the first time a friend and I stayed at the Empire and it was AMAZING! The staff were so welcoming and even though the elevators were a little glitchy on the day we were departing, a staff stayed in the elevator and made sure everyone was taken care. We were greeted each time we came in (no matter the hour) and when a small mistake was made on a room service order, a fruit plate was brought up within minutes after correcting the error. So sweet and totally not necessary. the location of the hotel was excellent and we will both stay here again!!

Room Tip: avoid the rooms on the 11th floor if you want peace and quiet...12th floor is the bar.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear AMym,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
I hope that after your first there will be a second and many others!
I am really happy to hear you found our team welcoming and always ready to greet you. This is really our goal and commitment!
I am sorry about the mistake with the room service. At the end we are human and sometimes we do mistakes. I understand that you have appreciated our genuine recovery gesture.