“Great place to stay in NYC”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #332 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Romford, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay in NYC”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed at The Empire for 3 nights in March '14 in a Superior Double room. Check-in was quick and efficient and all staff encountered were very helpful and friendly.

The room (and entire hotel) is decorated to a lovely standard. Clean and modern throughout, maid service daily. The room was spacious and had everything that you needed; mini-fridge, hairdryer, iron etc. The beds were a little firm for my liking but overall rather comfortable and sleeping was not a problem. Prices for the in-room snacks and drinks are expensive, but there is a Starbucks and Duane Reeds right next door so just buy from there.

One thing that did bother me was the temperature of the hotel, it was too warm! It was too hot to sleep under the covers. However, I arrived just after the 'Polar Vortex' had hit and so maybe the hotel had raised the heating levels to combat this? Which is fair enough, just not sure what the hotel would be like during the summer as there wasn't any air con.

Location of hotel is great, 10-15min walk to Times Square and in a nice area of Manhattan.

Visited the the chowder house within the hotel and the meal and service was excellent, lovely food. Would definitely recommend a visit.

Overall, for the price paid I would certainly recommending staying at The Empire and will most likely stay here on my next visit to NYC.

Hello Bagel_Anyone,

Thanks so much so your generous feedback, regarding your recent Empire experience. We really appreciate your comments about the level of service and your guest room. We are sorry about your climate control unit not adjusting to your comfort level.

The location of the hotel and the food and beverage outlets in the hotel are other great highlights and we are very happy that you benefited from these features.

We do look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and wish you all the best between now and then.

Kindest Regards,

John S.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Nice room, spacious for NYC with 2 doubles, good service, great location - walking distance to great shopping at Time Warner and Century 21 and to theater - right at Lincoln Center - convenient to multiple subway lines - will stay there again. We needed a replacement hairdryer and they brought one up right away. Once you stay there you are in the data base and they sometimes email out some specials or sale prices which are great prices that you can not get unless you have the email promo code.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hello Marcia K,

We truly appreciate your very kind review that you have posted on our Trip Advisor page. We most certainly agree about our spectacular location with major and historical New York attractions all within a 5-10 minute walk.

It is great that you were able to take advantage of our special offer, we will be sending another offer out prior to the summer, so stayed tuned for that!

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire, if you need any assistance with a future reservation, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Maybe we caught the hotel on a bad week? Stayed 3 nights for business. No heat 1st two nights. Bathroom sink was sloooooow to drain. Bug sightings in room & lobby. Other co-travelers did not have hot water for 2 days. Fitness center consists of 3 aging treadmills; one broken, one malfunctioning & the other more suited for walking, not running. Pros: Staff interactions were pleasant and very helpful, great location, contemporary decor, decent bar. All said, if they can work out the obvious and correctable shortcomings, it would be a decent and recommendable NYC hotel.

Hello hornchicago,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire and for your review on our Trip Advisor page. We had a rough 24 hours earlier this week, and we do apologize about the lack of heat and hot water. We had emergency repairs on our main boilers which caused some challenges. We were back to normal operating conditions by Wednesday afternoon.

Thank you for your feedback about the fitness center equipment, this is something we are looking at for property improvements. In addition, we appreciate your kind words about the associates and level of service and our lobby bar experience.

We do hope that you'll give us another try at some point in the near future as we're confident your next experience with us, will be much improved.

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Last May I began to plan a 75th birthday celebration with my two sons in New York City. I wanted to stay in a hotel close to Lincoln Center. Last May the folks at the Empire Hotel told me that, at that time, they did not know what the room rate would be because specials changed. Eventually I obtained a 40% off Superior Room with two double beds. As the time drew closer for my trip I received an email from the Empire Hotel telling me about a special room rate. I called the folks at the Empire Hotel and they graciously told me what I needed to do to obtain the new rate which saved me $450.00 on my four night stay. When I arrived I was warmly greeted by the courteous doormen as well as the folks at the desk. When I entered the room I found it to be a clean, stylish, and recently renovated. The folks who serviced my room were always wanting to know if everything was ok. On my last night my son and I had dinner at a lovely restaurant in the hotel "Ed's Chowder House." On the two occasions that I went to performances at the Metropolitan Opera all I had to do was to cross the street and I was on the Lincoln Center Plaza.
The room was so quiet at night. For me on this 75 birthday trip the Empire Hotel was the perfect place to stay and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It is in a lovely part of Manhattan and so centrally located to a subway stop at Columbus circle.
David from North Carolina.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Hello David p P,

Thank you so much for your "rave" review about The Empire Hotel! It is so rewarding to read reviews such as yours, and we are very happy that we exceeded your expectations!

We always want our guests to obtain the lowest available rate and I am glad that we assisted in getting you the lowest available rate! It is great that you were so impressed with the guest rooms, the service levels and your experience in Ed's Chowder House.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel in the near future. If there is anything we can do to assist with a future reservation, please do email us gm@empirehotelnyc.com

All the best!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Not the best trip. My room had no water the first day and only cold water on the second day due to unforeseen problems with the water heaters. The staff was very apologetic. Rudy, was especially fantastic!

1 Thank Selena C
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hello Selena C,

Again, please accept out sincere apology for the lack of hot water in your guest room. It was entirely unforeseen and required emergency repairs on the property's main boilers. The great news is we're back to normal operating conditions!

We're thrilled that Rudy was so empathetic and accommodating during your frustration. We do hope and trust you'll give us another try in the near future and we'll be sure that there's plenty of hot water to go around!

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights as part of my honeymoon, Before we arrived requested a room with a view, we got a view of a building and a generator. Rooms were tiny and the skirting and carpets were quite dirty looking. The lobby is really nice and the staff were all lovely. Room was the only disappointing thing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hello Kristy B,

Thank you for choosing us to be part of your honeymoon, but we are sorry that we failed to meet and exceed your expectations. We do our absolute best to accommodate all special guest requests, occasionally, this is not possible and we do apologize your were impacted by the high demand of requests.

We are pleased however that you found the associates here at The Empire to very friendly and accommodating. We do hope that you'll give us another try after our renovation this summer as we're confident it'll be a much different experience for you and your husband.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The room's looked great on the website but they were tiny, didn't have the amenities that were listed on website and, I got a "Sorry", it's overpriced and the only in room dining is 8am - 10am and 6pm.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Sarah R
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello Sarah R,

Sorry you felt as though our website photography did not accurately depict the guest rooms. This certainly is not what we aimed for when doing the photography. If you have any specific feedback about this, we would appreciate you emailing us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Our Room Service department is open from 6:00am - 10:00am and 6:00pm - 10:00pm, daily. Sorry if you were mislead in anyway about their opening time being at 8:00am.

We thank you for your feedback and again are sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations.