“Just okay”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #345 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Location is great, rooms are a bit dated, and my bathroom was hilariously tiny.

They still charge for wifi (seriously guys, it's 2014) and if you want to drink the Fiji water in your room, it's $7.50. I'm not joking, $7.50 for the little bottle of Fiji (not even the large one).

Every single time I left my room my key card became demagnetized. Every. Single. Time. As if that weren't frustrating enough, there was usually a 5-10 minute line at the front desk so I had to stand there and wait just to get my key working so I could return to my room. No, it wasn't next to my credit cards or my cellphone (I must've said that 100 times over 48 hours).

There is a great roof deck, but it was pretty much always closed for a private party.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Hello travelbug_lo,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel, we are sorry that was only "okay" and did not exceed your expectations.

Sorry that you felt the rooms were dated and the found the bathrooms to be tiny. 125 years ago when this hotel was built, clearly size of the bathroom was not a priority. Our mini bar pricing strategy is competitively decided upon that of the hotels we compete against for market share. Yes, $7.50 could very well be perceived as expensive, but ultimately what are you willing to pay for convenience?

Cannot speak to your room keys getting demagnetized multiple times during your stay. We encode over 400 keys on a daily basis with no issues; we are however sorry about this inconvenience.

Thanks for your feedback and we welcome you to give us another try as I'm confident that we'll exceed your expectations, on your next visit!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel is incredibly nice and a great location. My front desk rep, Zyanachy, was able to upgrade me to a jr suite! This made my stay that much more enjoyable. If you can get reservations, try it! s

Hello Shari L,

So nice of you to share your perfect experience with us, on our Trip Advisor page! Great news that Zunachy was able to upgrade you, this is rarely an available option! The service at The Empire Hotel is one of our strengths and we are always working towards new processes and solutions to improve the guest experience.

We would request that you recommend The Empire Hotel to your family, friends and colleagues, this is the greatest reward for us. We also look forward to your next stay at The Empire Hotel and please feel free to email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you need any assistance.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Ask for a room n the back side of the hotel -- mine was 6 floors up but the traffic noise was very audible all night (remember New York never sleeps.)

Lobby bar is great for a cocktail or two. Roof bar is fine, but rents out sections (or the whole thing) for private events, so don't set your heart on a drink with a view. $18-20 for a cocktail in a plastic glass is what you're missing.

Room Tip: Gym is in the basement -- elevator was out of service, had to walk through some pretty sketchy servi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Mary Beth C,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and for sharing your experience on our Trip Advisor page!

Which is the better of two evils? Unfortunately in the city that never sleeps, if guests choose to have a view, they could be subject to street traffic noise, if they are a light sleeper. If a guest chooses to have an interior room, it'll much quieter, but you lose the view!

The Roof Top is a very popular choice for groups and private events, especially with the summer season approaching. The Lobby Bar is a great alternative, if you're looking for something a little more relaxed.

As you mentioned, we do only have one elevator that accesses the fitness center, and when this on the rare occasion, goes out of service, the only alternative is the stairs to the lower level of the hotel.

We are confident that your next stay with us will be much improved. We invite you to email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com and we'll ensure that you're well taken care of.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great location close to Lincoln Center & Fordham University, The hotel is in need of updating, One thing I can't understand. Is that they which to paper cups in the room from very nice glass glasses! The have a mini bar stocked and bottles of wine, water. Does the hotel think that there customer with to share a cocktail in paper cups? When asked my concerns were addressed quickly.

Hello Penny C,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience on our Trip Advisor page.

We understand your concerns about the paper vs. glass. We would have gladly sent up glassware to your room to enjoy a cocktail or two! The vast majority of our guests prefer the paper cups and simply use them for drinking water.

We will be entering into a renovation in the coming months and the result of this renovation will be a fresh new look in all of our guest rooms and corridors. We do hope and trust that The Empire Hotel is among your consideration when planning your next trip to New York and we invite you to email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you need any assistance.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed for one night at this hotel last minute for work at a cost of $350. The only positive thing I can say is its location near Lincoln center. I arrived at around 10 pm and was give probably the worst room in the hotel, smaller than my closet on the lowest floor. The elevator on this floor had no button- not one that didnt work- but actually no button so I had to take the stairs to the lobby with my luggage. The floor I was on was moldy and old- as was the room. The water was luke warm in the shower with too much water pressure (the opposite is usually true). The worst part was the front desk staff- snooty with a could not care less attitude. The woman that checked me out didnt even look at me when I tried to settle my bill and would not give me a bill since she said I prepaid my stay. I told the woman at check out about the elevator and she shrugged her shoulders and sais I guess they are working on it. She was VERY rude with far too much attitude so I just left. Worst service ever in a NYC hotel and certainly not worth $350.00

1  Thank sguntupalli

Hello sguntupalli,

Thank you for choosing The Empire Hotel for your last minute hotel needs. We are very sorry that your stay fell far below your expectations. It is unclear which floor you stayed on, but if there is one thing that is definite, all of our guest floors have hall call buttons to go up and/or down. Sorry that you felt there was a need to take the stairs.

We most certainly do not have mold in the hallways and/or the guest room, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com so we can see for ourselves the areas of the hotel that you are referring to.

Lastly, I am very sorry about the lack of empathy from the front desk agent as it relates to your unsatisfactory hotel room and overall stay. This is not our intention and our goal is to provide great service, across the board.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here over Easter to celebrate a big birthday.
When we arrived we found that we had been upgraded to a bigger room, great!
However this room was at the back of the hotel with no view and quite a lot of noise from all the air conditioning units. When we mentioned this to the front desk they offered to move us straight away.The new room was on the front elevation of the hotel with super view of Broadway and The Lincoln centre.
The Hotel is just across the road from the Lincoln centre, close to shops, restaurants and the subway.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the front of the building
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elaine M

Hello Elaine M,

Thank you so much for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and we appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience on our Trip Advisor page.

We are glad that you eventually got settled in a guest room that exceeded your expectations! It is great that you enjoyed the location of the hotel so much and we can count on a return visit from you. If there is anything we can assist with in the meantime, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully establishing your loyalty!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The location of this hotel is amazing - but the small bathroom and peeling paint, broken fixtures, and slow housekeeping service took away from the experience. The overall room (superior double double) was ok for the 3 of us, but the bathroom is so tiny and impractical. Also, found the response time for housekeeping requests (e.g. replacing an iron whose cord didn't come out) to be very slow.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Hello Johnna M,

Thank you for your return visit to The Empire Hotel. We are very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and must have been a far cry from when you stayed with us last October, how was your stay then?

The conditions of your guest room are very surprising, we will have some one check room 722 immediately, kindly confirm by emailing us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com that this was your assigned room. We will be starting a full guest room renovation in the coming months that will freshen up the hotel overall and specifically the guest room experience.

We do have three service calls they were placed by someone in your room, during the time that you occupied it.

1) Towels requested on 05.10.14 which were delivered in 6 minutes
2) Cream and Sugar requested on 05.10.14 which were delivered in 22 minutes
3) Sewing kit requested on 05.12.14 which was delivered in 12 minutes

We did not have any calls from you for a replacement iron.

We thank you for your feedback and do hope that The Empire remains among your consideration when planning a return trip to New York City.