“Amazing Hotel”

Ranked #339 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A wonderful hotel with an amazing location next to Central Park. The staff are very friendly and the hotel has everything you need. View and pool from the 11th floor was incredible along with the cocktails

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello adamwilson2312

Thank you so much for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience on our Trip Advisor page!

We are truly thrilled that we exceeded your expectations in all areas of the hotel. Friendly and efficient service is critical to a providing a perfect stay, and we're glad we delivered this. The hotel has many features to ensure all guest stays are complete, including several restaurants and bars to choose from.

We thank you in advance for recommending The Empire Hotel to your family, friends and colleagues. We also look forward to welcoming you back and invite you to email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com, if there is anything we can assist with.

Thanks again and all the best,

John S.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Middleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We came to NYC to visit colleges and the Empire Hotel was centrally located for our visits. Staff and facility were great. Lobby is very fun and uniquely decorated. Room was nice and very clean - not huge but very comfortable (remember, you're in NYC where space is at a premium) Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Hello MichDon5,

Thanks so much for choosing The Empire Hotel and for sharing your great experience with the Trip Advisor community.

From our service levels to the style / design and cleanliness, we strive to exceed the expectations of all guests and we're thrilled this came to fruition with you and your family. Thank you in advance for your recommendations to your family and friends.

We look forward to welcoming you back and your family and friends for the first time. If there is anything we can assist with, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com.

Thanks again and all the best,

Mountainside, New Jersey, Usa
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I cannot believe I have never heard of this gem. A perfect location. Pasquale at the front desk was more than friendly and accommodating. We will be back!**********************************************

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Jeannie B,

Thanks so much for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience on our Trip Advisor page!

We cannot believe you hadn't heard of us either! In many ways, The Empire Hotel is legendary here in Manhattan, with its existence spanning over 100 years! We are thrilled that you loved the location and service levels, specifically the service delivery from Pasquale!

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you in advance for recommending us to your family, friends and colleagues! If there is anything we can assist with for your future stay, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com.

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Checked into the Empire, the front desk staff were great, but that's the best that it gets. the hotel is in need of a remodel, it lacks polish. I thought I would get in a work out, but there was such a bad stench (probably from the old carpet) that I couldn't work out. The machines need servicing, one treadmill didn't work when I tried to use the other one, Most of the digital readouts were inoperable, or only partially working.

I gave up on working out and decided to do some work and sit in the lobby bar. While the bartender semed friendly to all other guests, she has yet to approach me and ask me if I would like something to eat or drink. I am sitting 2 feet from the bar and she walks around to other seating areas, handing out checks, talking to people, she has yet to even greet me!

My room is small, it's ok but again, the hotel needs a remodel in my opinion.

Bottom line, I am underwhelmed and not impressed. Would I stay here again? Only if I needed a place to sleep and not too cocnerned about amenities and service. Too many options in NYC tobother with staying here again. BTW, I am still sitting in the bar area as I write this review and still no greeting from the bartender and no drink!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Brussels
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Empire for 6 nights, so we got to see a lot of the hotel. When we arrived someone came to open the door of the taxi, he welcomes us, took our bags to the check in desk and we never saw him again ... I had a cast which meant that my girlfriend had to carry all of our luggages by herself to the room after the check in. Pasquale who made our check in was very nice and very concerned about my leg as he gave us a nice upgrade to a bigger room on the 11th floor, with 2 queen size beds as I told him a friend of mine was coming for one night. He also gave us free wifi for the whole stay which saved us a lot of money, if I remember well about 20$ for 24 hours.
The view from the pool deck and the pool deck itself is really nice plus it is a cool place to have a drink as there are couches and a DJ. However no elevator to go there so you will have to climb two set of stairs which in my condition took me roughly 5-10 min.
The room is nice, bed is comfortable, TV huge but the bathroom as big as a shoebox and coffee 3$. I was quite amazed that we didn't hear anything from the club that was right underneath our room so that is really a plus. The elevators were kind of creepy as only one or two were working out of four and you never knew if you were going to get stuck in it or not. Concierge was very nice and has some good suggestions about the city he also found us a cool restaurant in chelsea called "The grill at la piscine". You should definitely check it out if you go to NY. The bellboys are nice but they don't really help you with your luggages or anything which makes you wonder if there is a point of paying them just to stand there.
I study hospitality management in Glion Switzerland so I know a how the industry works having work at the W, Ritz Carlton, Hyatt, and the hotel is what you can expect from a 4 star hotel however there are some things that makes it borderline 3 star.
I am going back to NYC next week but I am staying at the Affina hotel let's see which one is better :)

• Stayed July 2014
Hello SunandbeachBrussels,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

We are sorry that we did not lend a helping hand when you needed it most and quite honestly, this is very surprising. That is not indicative of the traditional service levels here at The Empire Hotel. We could have very easily and efficiently arranged for elevator service for you up to and down from the pool deck.

We are in the process of renovating all of our elevators and one of them is currently out of service and being upgraded.

I am confident that The Empire Hotel will be your preference over the Affiinia and we look forward to hearing from you after your stay there. Please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com and provide us with your feedback!

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I really don't know where to begin.

There are two big pros for this hotel. Location (I can see Lincoln Center from my window), and the patio/pool area on the top of the hotel.

I had the following experiences:

The room I was offered on checking in was on the 4th floor. When I entered the room it smelled heavily of tobacco, and the were earplugs on the night stand because even the air conditioner put on high could not mask the outside noise. When I returned to the front desk, they were astonished that there was the smell of tobacco in the room because it was a non-smoking hotel. I was switched to a room on the 10th floor.

This room had the smallest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. It was so small that there was no room in it for even a tiny trash bin. Shaving was a challenge because there was no room to actually stand in front of the mirror. The pillows were feather and I am highly allergic to feathers. When we requested non-feather pillows late at night, they promptly sent up more feather pillows. The person who brought them up did not speak or understand English. I think he only spoke a Slavic language. We gave up and slept on the pillows and of course woke up totally stuffed. There were only a couple of accessible plugs for my electronics.

One elevator had a mind of its own and sometimes stopped on random floors whose buttons had not been pressed and sometimes it even changed directions from down to up. On one trip down with two other guests, the elevator started to rachet and suddenly it stopped between floors. The woman in the elevator started to panic and got down on her hands and knees looking for the emergency button and finally found it. She was holding a book called "The Science of Fear". I am not making this up. We were stuck in the elevator for about 4-5 minutes. The other male in the elevator was calm. The woman was hyperventilating. As suddenly as it had stopped, the elevator jolted to life and the doors opened on 5 and we scurried out and took the stairs down to the lobby. When I reported what I had just experienced the reaction was a look that said "So what's the problem?"

Oh, yes, when you make a cup of coffee in your room because you are bleary-eyed, note that you will be charged $3.00.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank MkMD11

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed at Empire Hotel, due to a good deal for a 5 days. Great location to visit Lincoln Center and near by to the Subway.

Easy access to WiFi in the lobby for free.

The rooms are comfortable, but you can see the age of the hotel. Bathroom ok, but also needs some attention. Currently updating the elevator systems but only a very minor wait.

Ed's dinner next door is great with their happy hour bar menu that runs until 11:30pm.

Overall good, and reasonable price for the Upper West Side.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello Lexusnoir,

Great to hear that you took full advantage of the hotels location, found the comfort levels to be top notch and enjoyed your dining experience in Ed's Chowder House. You are absolutely correct, we are renovating all of our elevators and we do apologize for any extended wait times.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel and please do email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if there is anything we can assist with in the meantime.