“an Ok stay”
Review of Empire Hotel

Empire Hotel
Ranked #342 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at the Empire Hotel during a business trip to NYC. It is a very convenient hotel for it's location across the street from Lincoln Center. The rooms are a little tired and the elevators are almost scary. Most days i wasn't sure if i would make it up or down depending on the time of day. The upstairs club is a hot spot that I didn't visit so i can't comment on. The restaurants nearby are plentiful and varying in tastes. Close to the subway, Central Park, Broadway Theaters and all New York has to offer. With all the other hotels in New York I will probably pick a different one next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hello SEAN D,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. We are very sorry that we did not manage to exceed your expectations and it was only average, at best.

Our elevators are currently under renovation and will soon all be replaced and state-of-the-art. We are looking forward to the completion of this projects, we are however, still a few months away.

It's great that the hotel worked our from a location stand point and it was convenient for your business needs. The Rooftop does get rather busy, especially on weekends. If you do happen to reconsider a return visit to The Empire, be sure to go for a drink and hotel guests get exclusive access. We are starting a full guest room renovation in early 2015, so perhaps this will convince you to return.

Thank you for your review and sharing with the Trip Advisor community and we wish you all the best.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Empire Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Traveling with my family, we arrived at the Empire after a late night flight and were exhausted. Our room did not have any air conditioning, the window was propped open and so we called and asked for someone to come fix the air conditioning to help cool it off and to help with the hum mm of traffic outside -- and instead they (THANK YOU RICKY!) kindly gave us a new room (with an upgrade to off set the initial inconvenience). We fell into comfortable beds with crisp sheets and slept great.
This is a good hotel, everyone was helpful/kind. And the location on Columbus Circle is excellent -- a wonderful neighborhood with little cafes and restaurants and the subway right there. We could easily stay here again.
My only sadness was that the rooftop pool area became filled with "young people" (20 - 30 somethings) after 5:00 -- therefore I was by far the oldest on the pool deck. But no worries -- I was once young too.
Stay here -- a good hotel. Especially for NYC standards. Great for families.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello 2013stpaul,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and for mentioning the great service provided by Ricky! We are very sorry about the initial inconvenience, but are thrilled to hear how we recovered and got your stay back on the right "track".

Your kind words about the location, service levels and cleanliness are much appreciated and it is always nice when guests do not take this for granted and have the generosity to share with the Trip Advisor community!

Sorry the crowd at The Rooftop didn't match up with your preferred demographic / age group, this venue often attracts all ages, but often it predominantly hosts what is often labeled as a younger crowd.

We look forward to welcoming you back and would appreciate any and all recommendations to your family, friends and colleagues. Should you need any assistance with a future stay, we invite you to email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was here in Okt 2011, so when planning to come to ny again, my Choice was definitely staying here at the Empire again! I simply Love the Hotel & the Location! Due to a spontanous Trip to ny, i had to pick one of the more expensive rooms, but one can get better rates when doing reservation earlier! And i definitely recommend the Empire :)

• Stayed: August 2014

Hello Sweet-just-me,

Thanks so much for your return visit to The Empire Hotel! It was a pleasure having you back and are already looking forward to your next visit!

We're thrilled that your experience was just as good this time as it was back in 2011. Sorry that you were subject to higher rates due to a last minute booking, sometimes booking late can "hurt" your wallet and other times it can entirely benefit your wallet!

Hopefully the next time your're back with us, we'll be well through our guest room renovation which commences in early 2015. We kindly ask for your recommendations to family, friends and colleagues and please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if there is anything we can assist with.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The rooms looked nice online, are VERY small. I travelled with 3 teen agers. The bathroom is about 5x5 including the shower. Fridge is stocked full, everything costs a fortune, such as water or soda for $7.50 a bottle. No room to put anything of mine in without taking their stuff out. Coffee in room, great! oh wait......it is $3.50 for each Keurig pod (which costs about $.40 in stores). WiFi in room is $12.95 a day. AC is freezing or roasting you. At least one elevator out of service at all times. Called for Maintenance for bathroom 3 times in as many days. Great location but I feel way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello Mantonites,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. We are sorry that you felt you did not receive the value for price paid. It is unclear which room type you booked, but perhaps next time you should consider a Deluxe or Junior Suite room type which would provide much more square footage.

We do not endeavor to ever have maintenance visit your room and it is solely our responsibility to ensure the room is in optimal working order prior to the guest occupying the room. Clearly, there was an oversight with your room and we apologize for this.

We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back and are confident that your next stay with us will be much different. Should this possibility come to fruition, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com and we'd happy to take great care of you.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Firstly, if you've already booked the Empire, don't worry, it's fine. However, if you haven't booked, I would probably look elsewhere. The hotel location is brilliant, but it's a little tired and the rooms are small. We were a family of 4 sharing a room with 2 double beds and were completely on top of one another. Perhaps with this occupancy the winged armchair wasn't necessary. We had a couple of small problems with housekeeping which took two attempts to sort out, but even then a full solution wasn't arrived at. The aircon was noisy at night and the lobby bar uncomfortably freezing cold. Having said this, the hotel is clean, the staff courteous and the rate reasonable.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello AMD9691,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. We are sorry that we were unable to exceed your expectations during your visit, but please know, this is our goal.

It is unfortunate that you were not able to get comfortable in your assigned guest room. It is unclear if you brought this to anyone's attention, but if we had the availability, we would have been happy to move you. Hopefully our maintenance did have the opportunity to address your loud climate control unit, it is of utmost importance to us that guests receive the rest they desire.

We in the planning stages of a full guest room renovation that will commence in early 2015. We do hope that you do give The Empire Hotel another chance to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations, during a future stay. If there is anything we can assist with, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I refer to trip advisor a lot as I stay in hotels all round the world for work but I have never had to write a negative review like this which has left me incensed still sat in my room. I arrived on Friday at 4pm, reception was busy but I was patient, the service was rushed and not very personal although the receptionist did spend time asking me to fill out a trip advisor review which I thought was strange at check in. I went almost immediately out for the evening and returned to my room at 11.45pm, the room was hot and the air conditioning wasn't working. It's August in New York so the room was hot so I phoned recption to ask for someone to take a look at it. The room I had faces inwards looking at other rooms so it is very dark in the day and you have to have the blinds down for privacy. It's also very noisy from the other outside air con units but they do provide ear plugs by your bed! At 12.45am still no one had come to my room so I phoned reception to tell them I was going to bed so it could be fixed in the morning, I was perfectly fine about it at this stage, things like that don't usually bother me. But on Saturday morning I called back and waited another hour and no one came. I called back and they said someone was definitely on their way, after another hour I finally gave up and left my room and asked reception to fix it whille I was out for the afternoogot when I got back at 7pm the air con was on, great a cold room! I got ready and went out for the night and came back at 4am and the room was hot again, no air con working. I was drunk and tired so went to bed, woke up in an even hotter room. Instead of waiting I decided to get ready and head out for the day (I am only in new York for two days so I wanted to make the most of it) when I retuned at 8.50 the room was too hot to handle so I called reception. I was perfectly nice and asked someone to fix it whereupon I was told they would send someone if they could. I replied that is was the fourth time I'd called and they said yes ok very abruptly then hung up the phone. It's now over an hour since I had that conversation and Ihad still sat in a hot room. I wanted to write this whilst I was still angry and explain the whole story because if your coming to New York and spending your hard earnt cash for a nice break then don't come here. There are plenty of other options at this price and the rooms are dirty, the hotel is really dark and the pool on the roof is tiny. Doesn't look anything like the website it's a con. So spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Smilburn7
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Given its excellent location and reasonable price there had to be a few drawbacks.
Nothing beyond the ordinary afflictions of New York city hotels. Slightly worn feeling, small rooms etc. But we enjoyed the roof deck and pool which was unusual. Lobby bar was friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014
John S, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hello Cary C,

Thanks so much for your recent stay at The Empire Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

We do have a wide variety of room types to choose from here at The Empire. If you chose a Single or Standard room, you can expect a room in the range of 135-150 sq. ft. As it relates to the room feeling "worn", we are looking forward to a full guestroom renovation commencing in early 2015.

It's great to hear you enjoyed the many venues we have here in the hotel including the Pool Deck, Rooftop and Lobby Bar. This great variety accompanied with great service, is a nice foundation for a positive hotel experience.

We do hope and trust that your next visit to New York will include The Empire Hotel. If there is anything we can assist with, please email us at gm@empirehotelnyc.com.

Thanks again and all the best,