“Tiny room - great hospitality”

Comfort Inn Times Square South
Ranked #269 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“Tiny room - great hospitality”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My husband, daughter, and I spent 2 nights here. The room was tiny, which I expected from reviews of this hotel and others in NYC, but it was very clean, quiet, and the beds were very comfortable!! We all slept very well. The breakfast area is tiny, but the selection was better than many comparable hotels and the attendant kept food supplies replenished and cooked the waffles. The staff was friendly and helpful. We arrived in the city early a.m. and it was so nice to be able to drop our luggage at the hotel, grab breakfast, and head out sightseeing! They gave us a call when our room was ready for check-in. The location was very near our theater and Times Square. Would definitely consider a stay here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
CITS_Manager, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Travel Mom D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are grateful to see that you graded us above all of the other hotels nearby. We pride ourselves in providing extraordinary service with the standard amenities that all Comfort Inn Time Square offer’s such as our free breakfast which you mentioned to have enjoyed. I'm also glad to see that you did not let the size of our rooms greatly affect your opinion of us. We hope to see you soon. Safe travels!

With kind regards,

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maryland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our trip was for business. My husband had a conference to attend for three days and I tagged along.

Not located in the nicest neighborhood but it was "ok". Trash is always piled up outside so that part we just got used to. There is a male strip club next door, but you would never know it. So don't let that sway your decision.

What should sway your decision is the size of the room or rather the lack of room. We had a king room that was on the end. There are only 4 rooms on a floor and they are packed in tight. Our room just happened to be right next to the "linen" closet. Most of the time there were LARGE carts in the SMALL hallway across from the elevator with the clean linens to be put away. That was done in the evening. If you are in the room you will hear the staff going in and out, in and out, in and out..... I understand it's their job. It just made it awkward to get by and the linen closet opened up against our hotel room door.

We were on the 11th floor and our view was of the NY Times Building to the right and an alley below. It's NYC people so you're not going to get flower gardens, breezy blowing trees or little blue birds landing on your finger singing. You are going to get horns blowing, LOUD vehicles, people yelling and sirens blowing.

Walking into our room I was trying to prepare myself for the "small" comments I had read on TripAdvisor. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING prepared me for this room. Five steps into the room you have a long area that includes a desk against the wall with an office chair and the bed directly behind it. There is NO room to pass the person sitting in the chair if you are on the side of the bed near the window. You have to get up and move to the other side of the room.

You have about 12 inches between the sides of the bed and the wall on both sides. The bed was ROCK hard and the AC unit was annoying. I think it was louder than the traffic outside our window. It would click off for about 15 seconds then click back on. We had the fan on wich runs constantly one night but it was just too warm. There are NO drawers to put things in unless you use the "night tables" by the beds. The closet. Wait, I have to stop laughing first. Ok, the closet is a free standing wardrobe that is probably 20 inches wide...maybe. I could be exaggerating a little on the size.

I don't like to live out of suitcase so I hung things up in the wardrobe. Stuffed my unmentionables in the table side drawers and put the suit case in the bathroom. Yes, when we left the room we put our BIG suit case in the bathroom to get out the door. At night we would put it against the hotel door so we could get into the bathroom. I kid you not. This place is small. I wish someone had more of an in depth description like this for me, so that is why I'm going into details.

The room was clean. The bathroom was clean. The staff was nice. We wanted extra towels and it wasn't an issue. We didn't require maid service daily we only wanted towels and I think they were fine with it. There are absolutely no issues with how the hotel is run.

The breakfast room is in the lower level of the building and it's cramped. This is where the vending machine and ice machine is located for the entire hotel. There is no vending on each floor. My husband would go down to pick up some coffee and muffins for us to eat in the room.

We ended up checking out a day early. We had had enough of the Teeny Tiny room and NYC. We really aren't the city types. If you don't mind a small room, this hotel is fine. The hotel itself is clean but the area around it is not. Just letting you know so you're prepared when you pull up to unload which is next to impossible!

If I ever return to NYC, which I don't think I would, I would not stay at this hotel only because it was way TOO small.

As far as food we liked the Heartland Brewery and ate there twice. The Tir Na Nog is right next door and it's a nice Irish Bar. We ordered pizza in and I was looking forward to NY pizza. I cannot remember the name of the place, but it was something like NY Pizza. It's very close to the hotel and it's the only menu they had in the lobby. DO NOT DO IT. It was HORRIBLE.

We tried to go to Cake Boss Cafe which is close by, but it's ridiculously crowded.

Room Tip: Get a King Suite. It has a separate sitting area so you might get a few more inches. ha ha
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
CITS_Manager, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear CheriW,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for choosing as your destination of choice. We are devoted to serve you and to make your stay special with wonderful memories. Our modern traditional guest rooms are different in regarding to size than hotel rooms outside of NYC We would be more than glad to assist you in your next reservation to ensure you will have the room accommodations that you desire. We are so glad that your enjoyed our charming location and we hope to welcome you back and make your stay even more relaxing and pleasurable.

Mohegan Lake, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed overnite to celebrate anniversary.Close to Times Square.Room was clean,bed comfortable.Probably the smallest room Ive ever stayed in.Window faced alley.Nothing nice to look at.Breakfast room very small and nothing there I wanted to eat.TV reception terrible.If your looking for a clean,comfortable bed that is reasonably priced for NYC than youll like this hotel.I thought the staff was average.Not that friendly but gave info that was asked of them

Room Tip: higher floors may have better view......we had 2nd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chemom,

we thank you dearly for sharing your experience with us and for choosing to be our guest. We are so excited that you enjoyed our superb location and amazing attractions that are nearby. I regret to hear that your guest room accommodations were not to your full satisfaction Your comments are very important to us because it is our upmost commitment to make your stay as special and flawless as we can. . We are thrilled that the superior cleanliness that is prepared by devoted staff was to your liking. Your kind compliments about our hospitality inspire us to serve our dear guests, like you, at the highest level and constantly expand our services and amenities. We all would be honored to welcome you once again and present to you our improvements made due to your valuable feedback.

With kind regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My two friends and I are from South Africa and we decided to stay here for three days as we were leaving to go to Florida afterwards. It is an amazing little hotel, friendly staff and the most comfortable beds ever! Awesome and central, would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kimpodmore
CITS_Manager, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear kimpodmore,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are grateful to see that you graded us above all of the other hotels nearby. We pride ourselves in providing extraordinary service with the standard amenities that all Comfort Inn Time Square offer’s such as our free breakfast & WIFI.We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very friendly staff, great location, good value for money.
Easy access to the whole city, close to Empire State building.
Very close to Times Square.
Would certainly recommend it for a budget stay anytime.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stuart W
Dear Stuart W,

We thank you dearly for sharing your stellar review about your stay. We are so excited our charming location was to your liking and that we were close to your areas of interest. I am grateful that you have returned to stay with us on different occasions and allowed us to indulge with our service and amenities. We love making special moments and endless memories!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just got back to UK from 7 great nights at Comfort Inn 27 May - 3 June 2014.The hotel only has 4 rooms on each floor served by 2 large elevators we were on 13th floor and never have to wait.The rooms are very good and very clean,front desk very good we arrived early but still got our room.Location is excellent very central.The continental breakfast also very good lots of choice.
If I had to find any negatives it would be the seating in breakfast room would be improved by taking the large high table out and replace with smaller tables and the wardrobe in our room was a bit small for 7 nights clothes.But will book again for our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis E
Dear Dennis E,

Wow - thank you so much for the very detailed review. We appreciate, and take all of our guests' feedback extremely seriously, but we consider ourselves especially fortunate to be reviewed by an obviously seasoned traveler. On behalf of my entire team, we look forward to serving your future travel needs! Safe travels!

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Most of the reviews state that the rooms are 'small' - I would say they are 'tiny'!! And the breakfast room is anything but spacious. Great service at the front desk - very accommodating! Just steps from the Port Authority bus terminal. Broadway shows are just blocks away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kay R
CITS_Manager, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Times Square South, responded to this review, 15 June 2015
Greetings,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for choosing as your destination of choice. We are devoted to serve you and to make your stay special with wonderful memories. We are so glad that your enjoyed our charming location and we hope to welcome you back and make your stay even more relaxing and pleasurable.