“Great upgrades”

Ranked #334 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia
“Great upgrades”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here previously and liked it... the proximity to Penn Station is what brought me in to begin with. But after going back this month I felt compelled to right a review. They recently updated the restaurant and the lobby and the improvements made an already good hotel better. The rooms are smaller, but its NYC... that's to be expected. The rooms are CLEAN and modern. That's what's important, at least to me. There was a fun vibe in the bar/restaurant for happy hour and the chef (I forget his name, but an older/friendly gentleman) came out personally to discuss the menu and recommend some dishes. Long story short, if you need a midtown hotel for a good rate, go with this one. It's my go to. Never a bad experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the Empire State Building. Great views as you fall asleep.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jabbajabbahey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Claremont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is very small - lobby, hallways, and rooms. It's clean and front desk / maids are friendly. Lots of good restaurants in the area.

Hotel restaurant is very unfriendly. I was looking for a place to sit for a little while because the lobby was full (only 4 or 5 places to sit), I stepped into the restaurant(which was 100% empty at 9:30am, and asked if I could just sit for a few minutes because the lobby was full. I was told that I could not sit there, I would have to order something. I told them I was a guest at the hotel, but did not matter to them. The restaurant needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe that's why the place was empty. Restaurant gets no stars from me.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hi Duane B - Thank you for sharing your experience with us. On behalf of our restaurant Team, I want to apologize for your poor experience with them. Our lobby was recently renovated, which now allows for more seating space in the actual lobby. We doubled the usable space in our lobby. Regardless, we want our lobby AND restaurant to be a gathering place, whether you order something or not. I have already brought your concerns to our restaurant ownership, and sincerely apologize for this situation.

Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com the next time you are traveling to New York City. I'd be happy to personally handle your reservations.

Thank you.

Mike Williams
West Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I booked the hotel several weeks before arriving, based both on the basis of reviews and location. I arrived late and found myself in a building site - with the restaurant and bar closed and no real apology or guidance of where else to get a quick meal. I wanted a bottle of water and none was forthcoming, being told to walk to the nearest pharmacy - in the pouring rain. Not what I expect from a Holiday Inn. My room was as expected in New York, i.e. small, but it did have a view to the a Empire State Building. This was good but I would have preferred a clean carpet and a shower with no hairs from the previous occupant. The corridor was oppressive and the hotel needs a complete face-lift. I raised my issues with the manager and whilst he understood and recompensed me with additional points, my biggest gripe is with the Intercontinental Hotel Group who promote the hotel: they were very quick at reminding me several times re my reservation but there was no notification that the hotel was undergoing renovations that would affect my stay. Yes, the renovations had over-run their scheduled time and whilst I can empathise with the management, I do not feel that I was an informed consumer: had I been told that there was no restaurant etc I would have cancelled my reservation and booked elsewhere. I feel that the manager did the best that he could in the situation but feel totally let down by IHG. Poor show.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Skippy50
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hi Skippy50 - Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize for the experience you encountered at our hotel. However, I am pleased to report that our restaurant and lobby renovations are now 100% complete. We spoke upon your departure, and we also communicated via email afterwards. As I stated, I sincerely do apologize. There unfortunately was no "good" time to get these renovations done. We did the best with the situation, and compensated appropriately in certain circumstances.

Please feel free to reach back out to my at gm@hi-nyc.com should you wish to return to our hotel. We would love to make up for your last experience.

Thank you.

Mike Williams

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

It is an affordable hotel in a great location. It is clean, inexpensive, near restaurants, subway and many New York attractions. It is not swanky, but then again, you are not paying top dollar. I forgot some toiletries, called the reception and in 5 minutes had everything I needed brought to my room. One minor complaint: two elevators can barely keep up with volume of people going up and down, so we always had to wait. It wasn't a big deal, I will definitely consider this hotel for my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Taty
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I travel to New York at least once a month and sometimes for 3 weeks. The staff at this hotel have amazing customer service. I appreciate that even from my first visit there the staff remembered me, are ALWAYS willing to help. They have provided me & my crew with recommendations for food, how to get around town, transportation and so forth. We only stay at this hotel when in NYC now because it is well kept up, friendly staff, best price in town for all that you get. It is centrally located & we always have great customer service. Hands down we won't stay anywhere else! I wish all the hotels we stayed at around the US were as great as the Holiday Inn in Chelsea.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side and in the upper levels have a great view of the empire state building.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mariah D
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I went into NYC on a whim with some girlfriends. We weren't looking to break the bank so this hotel was right in our budget. Because of that we also didn't expect much (and didn't expect to be inside the hotel room too much) but the staff and accommodations were wonderful. We were greeted with smiles throughout the hotel and it made our night that much more fun and memorable! Can't wait for the next random rendezvous in NYC! We will definitely be back here!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DKNJ54
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for four days from 5th June to 9th June fully paid in advance but after our arrival at front desk they asked for credit card for verification but without my knowledge they charged 100 dollars.
Rooms are just bigger than "rat's trap" hardly 10 square meters hats why room pics were never shown on any booking web page.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Sanjaydeep
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Hi Sanjaydeep - Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Upon arrival, we ask for a credit card and ID from all guests. No matter if the reservation is pre-paid or not, a credit card is still required to check-in. We authorize a certain amount on this card, depending on your specific length of stay. This is a fairly standard practice in the hotel industry world-wide.

I have also sent you a private message, which you can feel free to respond back to.

Mike Williams, General Manager