“More of a loft apartment than a hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Times Square Dream Hostel
Nassington, United Kingdom
“More of a loft apartment than a hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at this hostel (apartment) & when I arrived was surprised to find it was an apartment split into mixed rooms.
It was very clean & contrary to other reviewer I witnessed the manager clean every day. It is very clean with wooden floors as result of which guests are requested to remove their shoes on entry.
This is not a problem in my view as it keeps the place clean for the comfort of all guests.
The room I was in was air conditioned, clean & a decent size for 4 to share.
A kitchen was available for guest use.
If you want to be in a hostel in the traditional sense it is not for you but if you want good clean VFM in New York at a reasonable cost do not dismiss this property based on my experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toowoomba, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

The location is it's best asset. It's not in times square but 9th avenue between 43rd & 44th I think.

Check in in is located nearby and the Manager walks you up the street and 2 relatively steep flights of stairs. Ok without a suit case but a little difficult with. The hostel has 1 dorm room, 1 with a bunk and the last with a double bed and bathroom.

Dorm and bunk rooms share a bathroom. Shower is hot. We stayed in the bunk room and the beds were comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. Limited atmosphere and the sites biggest asset is it's location.

Internet is provided however found you needed to be in the lounge area to get any real access.
stay.

Plenty of restaurants close by and a place next door for drinks and supplies. Felt safe walking the streets.

Room Tip: The bunk room has a double bottom and a large single above. Hanging space. Air con works well i a ho...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tigger2594
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Location was pretty good and the area seemed decent enough; Plenty of dining choices around and only a few blocks from Times Sq.
The private room was tiny and a little chilly but nothing too serious.
My one and only complaint would be that the shower was horrible. Water pressure was shocking and it took ages to warm up. Also I don't think the bathroom window shut properly and hence the bathroom was freezing.
Final verdict: It was the cheapest place I could find in Manhattan with a private bathroom and it wasn't an unpleasant experience.
And don't let the address changes and random meeting places scare you.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ET8
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

When i first booked this hostel i was little afraid after receiving an email regarding renovation and change of location even after reading reviews of others receiving the same email and saying it turned out ok.

In the end someone did meet us as promised and showed us to our accommodation and explained check in and check out process and showed us the facilities etc. I think as others have said there seems to be something shady going on but you do end up in a decent place. And they only accept cash which is kinda weird.

The hostel looks like old abandoned apartments. Each "apartment" has three bedrooms which are padlocked and only the person/s staying in the room have the key to room. There are common areas such kitchen, bathroom and study desk. The bedrooms weren't bad. I stayed in a twin share with a friend and we got a bunk bed. The bottom bunk is a double and the top is single. The beds are comfy but ours squeaked and shook everytime any of us tossed or turned. There's air conditioning in the room and a cupboard to store your things. There are also multiple power outlets to plug in your phones/etc. They do also supply you with sheets and pillows and towels and these were all clean so no issues there.

The kitchen had free coffee and tea and appliances to use. At the study area there's a free laptop which you can use and there's also a guidebook for the USA which you can have a look at and copies of maps which you can take with you. There's also free wifi and there's an adapter that you can use as well. We had friends stay in another apartment in the same complex and they had a blow drier which we did not have.

Location wise it was good. Times Square is a couple of blocks away and easily walkable. There are also lots of shops/cafes/restaurants/delis on the same street as the hostel.

Everything was clean which was good.

Some negatives: the hostel had no lift so probably best to come with a backpack than a suitcase or something you can easily carry. I also thought the price is a bit expensive for the place. Between the two of us we spent around $150/night.. for around the same price we could have easily stayed at a hotel. And the last thing i can think of is the shower. It flooded a bit and the water temperature kept changing constantly to either too hot or too cold.

Overall a good stay. I would recommend it to others. Just don't expect luxury.. it's a simple place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank eek588
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

dont tay in this hostel.its not a hostel its a appartment.i was the first checking in and the room was not clean.the owner cleant the room not once i have some nice photos

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank worldtraveler188113

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

As other reviewers said, the location is convenient. The place I stayed just looks like a normal apartment with 3 rooms. The room I stayed has a bunk bed, a closet and a air-con. I shared the room with a girl the first night. I was on my own the second and the third night.

The staff is friendly, helpful and responsive. I was glad that there was no problem that I checked in very late at night.

I did not spent much time there. I just need a clean place for a shower and sleep. I appreciate they have free wifi and I can use my laptop in my room.

Those with heavy big luggage should be aware. There's no lift. The staff helped take my luggage upstairs (2 floor) when checking in. But you are on your own when you leave. Luckily, I managed to take them down by myself.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank MichelleYHK
Milano
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

It was supposed to be an hostel, in reality the man who manage has some apartments around NYC and only when you arrive, you know your location.
After 3 nights he moved me to another apartment, managed by a Korean girl, fortunately she was adorable, the location of the apartment perfect. Don't trust any description given by the web site.

• Stayed May 2011