“What's the big deal about the Plaza?”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #99 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“What's the big deal about the Plaza?”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband got me two nights at the Plaza as a 40th birthday present. I was excited as the hotel was synonymous with New York and I had always wanted to stay there. Unfortunately the experience I had was below average. Firstly when I arrived the doorman assumed I was going to use the food hall rather than be a guest of the hotel so tried to usher me towards the side entrance. I had several issues with my room upon check in. The safe didn't work; I couldn't dial out externally from the phone and I could not find the switch to turn off a main light. As I had been given no information about the room facilities upon check in and also could not dial down to the front desk (phone not working), I had to go down and ask if there was a standard room facilities booklet that you usually get in a hotel room. I was told then that it was all contained in the ipad in each room. I don't know why this was not mentioned at check in. The next day, the morning paper I had requested didn't turn up so I had to chase it up. When I checked out, the staff member behind the desk asked me 3 times if I needed help with my bags even though the answer was yes all 3 times. Even so, no-one showed up to help so eventually I just did it myself. Apart from these annoying things that added up to a less than stellar stay, the hotel room I was in looked a bit worn and lacklustre The finish overall was not what you would expect from a hotel purportedly of this standard. The staff seem a bit bored and not really invested in their roles. I have stayed at many top ranking hotels around the world and the Plaza just does not measure up on any level apart from the fact it has a glamorous history.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MsMoz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Redlands, California
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had an amazing stay at The Plaza for so many different resons!!
It was just so amazing I loved it so much!!
It was a memory I will never forget!!
Go and see as much as you can! Get a tour! Go see the Eloise room! Most important have a time of your life and spend every second you can admiring the amazingly beautiful hotel!
You really need to take your hole family maybe even some good friends of yours! It can be such an amazing time you should enjoy it with fun people you like to hang around with! Have as much fun as you can and also,enjoy your hopefully amazing stay at The Plaza hotel in New York City!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Lizzy W
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've stayed at numerous places in New York, both mid-town and downtown. However, I always find you just can't beat the Plaza. The charm is great, staff is very welcoming and attentive to your needs.

The room was beautiful that I stayed in, as attention to detail is something this hotel focuses on. And with it's proximity to Central Park, it really is worth the extra dollars to stay here if you're looking for mid-town accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for a high ceiling room - they're very charming. Try to avoid connecting rooms, as I've...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Bowlth
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

location: very good and near central park.

services : excellent .

clean : excellent .

facilities: excellent.

room: very nice room.

staff : friendly

food & drink : was excellent .

value for money :good.

check in : easy.

check out :easy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alsaloom
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Glad to be back to this historical place, and discover it's lovely outlets: Rose bar and Champagne bar. Building facade is under renovation right now, so, most of the rooms has no view. Looking forward to be back here after renovation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anton_Desyatnikov
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I am a frequent business and recreational traveller to NYC. I don't always stay at the Plaza (sometimes the rate is just too high to justify), but when I do, I never regret it. Great rooms, friendly and helpful staff, amazing location. Only negative is that it is missing the Old Oak Bar restaurant.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to at least a jr. suite.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Chris M
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 24 October 2013

finally at 59 years old we got to experience The Plaza....and it was excellent! our room was a Rose Suite which offered a separate sitting area with a very nice sized bathroom. the linens were perfect and the furnishings were beautifully appointed. The butler service was exquisite and we thoroughly enjoyed the convenience of the Todd Simpson food pavilion ... the lobby is so welcoming to simply relax...the only drawback is the exterior is being repaired which necessitates a protective scrim being draped over the entire building which hides scaffolding from view of the street...hence, we didn't quite have the views and morning sunshine to help awaken us....we can't wait to take our gdaughters for a visit...they also have a Caudalie Spa which is supposedly quite exceptional....

Room Tip: room 1329 was our suite...elevators we're very timely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business