“Beautiful place - service needs adjusting!”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #98 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
NJ
“Beautiful place - service needs adjusting!”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The suite was lovely!! The location terrific!! But let me be honest - the service was much less than billed!
For example, we had "butler service" as part of our suite- we never met a butler - there was a phone tab for "butler" but anytime we used it and explained our needs ( ie more towels, concerns with turn down service, questions about nearby restaurants...) the answer was always "let me connect you with ...") Well - why bother with "butler" - just give me a phone tab for housekeeping etc and let us explain our concerns once!

In a similar concern, every room has an iPad - on that iPad you can "order" room cleaning and turndown service and request a specific time. One day, We requested ( and received a confirming message) room cleaning for noon - we came back from breakfast at 10:30 to find the door open and housekeeping there - ordinarily no big deal- but why bother giving us the expectation that we could request a room cleaning time? Likewise, on our room iPad we requested (and received a confirming message)for turndown service, we returned home 2 hours after the requested time to no turndown - called the "butler" who listened to our concern -but put me through to the housekeeping department where I cancelled the service since we were now back for the night - 30 minutes later the sweet housekeeper showed up for "turndown"

Now despite spending over $1400/night for a room, I am really not high maintenance - just don't promise me services that you can't deliver! Forget the "butler" service, let me contact the appropriate service directly and let me voice my concerns one time instead of twice! And don't give me the "option" of a particular cleaning or turndown time - just come when u can and leave it at that!

• Stayed December 2013
14 Thank mommd23
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear mommd23,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. It sounds like while you enjoyed the hotel itself, you experienced a number of service challenges. We pride ourselves on our service, so this is particularly disappointing to hear. First of all, I apologize for not receiving your room cleaning or turn down services when requested. There is certainly no excuse for that oversight. Also, I regret to hear that your calls were passed around so many times. That should have been handled differently and I can imagine the frustration it must have caused. I truly appreciate your honest feedback and agree that we should have delivered better service. I hope you will be willing to give us a second chance to give you the experience you deserve on your next visit to New York.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I really love the Plaza hotel from when I was kid, so I wanted to share the experience with my children. The quality of the amenities and room were nice, and the location is amazing. There is so much to do and see nearby there (not to mention the rest of New York City). The service could have been a bit better. Check in was slow as well as room service. This landmark is great and could be amazing with a bit better service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Sarah J
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to revert to writing a review on trip advisor.

On a recent visit to NY we attended Palm Court for afternoon tea to celebrate a special family birthday. Booked day before requesting a table for 6 at 4pm. Arrived 20 mins early and although numerous tables were vacant, we were advised that table would not be available till 4pm but to have a drink in the residents bar. Bar staff and service were excellent. Returned to Palm court at 4pm only to be seated at a table that had been vacant since our earlier visit. We were taken to the table,it was obviously far too small for a party of 6 adults. Three of our party had individual seats whilst the other three had to squeeze up on a chaise longue. After looking around the area it was obvious that a number of other larger more suitable tables were available, I called over a member of staff who appeared to be a manager and raised my concerns about the size of the table and requested we be moved to a larger table. His response was that he thought the other tables were going to be reset for other bookings and that he had been doing this for twenty years and that space would not be a problem. He walked away and never returned to our table. Please note the other tables were never utilised until we left at around 5:30pm, afternoon tea last seating is at 5pm. We placed our order for varied afternoon teas from the menu and our cake stands were brought to the table. There were four stands brought through 2 Fitzgerald's on one stand,, one Fitzgerald on another, one Snowflake on another, and an Eloise on another. We sat and awaited the arrival of the last one we had ordered which was a New Yorker before starting our food. We waited a further 5-10 mins before we could attract the attention of one of the servers, we advised him that we were still awaiting a further New Yorker, he advised that we weren't, a somewhat heated discussion took place before he agreed to bring the New Yorker, a further 5 mins later. He advised that he would not charge us extra for the New Yorker, don't know what he meant by extra we were only requesting what we had ordered in the first place. By the time all our food had arrived and we could all start to eat the sandwiches on most of the stands had started to dry out and go hard. With all the cake stands on the table they required to be located directly in front of the guest leaving no space at all for a plate to eat from, all guests required to eat directly from the cake stands. In order to access sugar and milk in the centre of the table you requied to stand to reach over the cake stands. As for the food we regularly take afternoon tea in various 3,4 & 5* establishments throughout the UK, I would describe this as average and nothing special and have had better afternoon teas in 3* hotels in the UK, certainly not worth the money. The service was not what you would expect in this type of establishment. When the check arrived it was just under $440, this included a service charge of $61.58 @18%. This apparently according to the check did not include "gratuity". I handed over $500 to settle the check. The server returned to the table a few minutes later to state "do you wish your change" . If this had not have been for a special occasion I think I would have caused more of a scene at the time but I did not wish to make my wives birthday experience any worse. I have emailed the hotel direct in relation to this review and I await a response.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank alan070361
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Booked a last minute weekend at the Plaza for my wife's birthday and it couldn't have been better. Service was prompt and friendly but not overbearing. Enjoyed a drink at the Champagne Bar before heading out to dinner at Maialino. Next morning a light bite and capuccino in the Food Hall were convenient and tasty. No shortage of casual tasty choices down there. After a bit of shopping on 5th walked down to Flatiron to have a bite at Eataly. Despite the crowds we enjoyed our roast beef and pork sandwichs and coffee then toured around the area for a bit. Took a Sunday morning walk through Central Park which is a must for anyone. Can't wait to go back....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Österreich
Reviewed 8 December 2013

+ Amazing landmark
+ beautiful lobby
+ very nice and helpful staff
+ brilliant room, nice room size, wonderful bathroom
+ housekeeping is very attentive and friendly
+ location
+ very helpful concierge

- the only kind of negative thing is that since the hotel is quite large it is not very personal. staff has probably no chance to really remember guests since there are often also many people in the hotel who are not guests but just want to take a view pictures

all in all: our place to stay during our next trip to nyc

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Staying at the Plaza has been my dream for nearly 20 years! On our second trip to New York, we decided to book the plaza for one night. We booked the lead-in room. I emailed the hotel a few months prior to explain that it was our first wedding anniversary (we were also engaged in NYC two years prior), and while I understand it is rare to have a park view room (especially in the cheapest category), we would absolutely love and appreciate it. They replied to let me know that the Edwardian Suites are really the only rooms with guaranteed park views. I completely understood and had no expectations of anything different.

Can I just say at this point - even the lobby and public areas of this hotel are gorgeous. The level of service is exceptional (even bar staff), and I think even going to the Palm Court for a meal would be a fabulous experience.

We dropped our bags off around 10:30am on the day of check-in. We knew we wouldn't be able to check in, but we enquired anyway. The very nice man at the desk (SO sorry I didn't get his name, he was fab) let us know that they had reserved a 'partial park view room on the 19th floor' for us, and it wasn't ready yet, but they did have a room available on the 13th floor. I didn't want to give up even a partial view room (again: no expectations!), so we waited. We had lunch reservations at Park Avenue Autumn, so we went there and then walked around Central Park for a bit.

We got back to the hotel around 3pm, and the room still wasn't ready, which was fine. In an exemplary show of service, they gave us 2xdrink vouchers to the value of $28 each! We enjoyed these in the Champagne bar - The Imperial Plaza signature cocktail and a glass of Moet.

The room was ready at about 3:45. We got our room keys and went up. We didn't realise until we were in the (stunning) elevator that the 19th floor was the highest apart from the penthouse! Feeling lucky already. We had to walk right down the end of the hallway to get to our room. We opened the door, walked in, and the room was absolutely gorgeous.

I'd had this fear that because I'd been wanting this for so long, I'd be disappointed (like I was after seeing pictures of the rooms at the Waldorf Astoria) - but I was most definitely not. The room itself exceeded my expectations.

And then I looked out the window...

We had a perfect view of Central Park.

It was slightly obscured by the front side of the hotel, but we could see nearly the whole length of the park. I literally burst into tears and started crying. I cry in movies a lot, but it takes a bit in real life to set me off like this. I was absolutely speechless, and hysterical! We were so blessed, I sat at the desk for hours just taking it in. The colours of the trees (we visited in fall) added to the gorgeous view, it just could not have been better.

While we were still in the room (I didn't plan on leaving!), a knock at the door (after our bags had already arrived) was a man with chocolate covered strawberries, with a card congratulating us on our first anniversary. Little touches like this just make the experience even better - if that's possible!

After taking a million photos of the view and the room, we decided to head down to the Plaza shops. I bought a few bits and pieces at the Eloise store (because I love, love, LOVE the Plaza!), and also spent nearly $200 at the Plaza Boutique - I needed things to remember this experience! They included a large cushion with a sketched picture of the Plaza on the front, a coffee table book on the history of the Plaza and a Plaza hand towel.

We went to the Todd English Food Hall for dinner. We were seated near the Asian section at the bar, was cool to watch the food being cooked and prepared. This is a great dining experience with a lot of great options.

After we headed back up to the room, we put on a movie and ordered room service. This was very Home Alone-esque, I ordered a sundae (DH had cheesecake), and it came with so many little bits and pieces to put on! A turn-down service had occured while we were out, with bottles of Fiji water on each bedside among other things.

I have stayed in only a few true five star hotels throughout the world, but the Plaza has exceeded anything I have experienced before. I would greatly recommend even one night (more if possible) to anyone even considering it. Every detail of the entire hotel is perfect. I could not have dreamt a better experience.

Room Tip: I believe rooms in the back area of the hotel in the 36s-40s will have the best views of the park.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank stelle-89
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear stelle-89,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this great feedback. First and foremost, congratulations on your one year wedding anniversary! We are honored that you chose to spend your first anniversary here at The Plaza and so pleased to hear that your stay exceeded your expectations. We hope to welcome back you and your husband in the future!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here on our first ever trip to New York.
The location is perfect - right on Central Park. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance or the subway is right across the road.
The rooms are stunning as is the rest of the hotel - you feel like you've stepped back in time. It's just pure opulence.
The hotel is extremely classy, everything looks and feels perfect.
A trip to the bar is a must - best Cosmopolitan I've had in a long time and a great cosy atmosphere.
The service does leave a little to be desired, definitely not what I'd expect from a hotel of this calibre. The bellmen were pretty useless and they made it very very obvious they were waiting for a tip even when they'd barely done anything to help. They very rarely opened the door for you and we had to ask them to carry our bags out to the taxi when we left - something that I would just expect to be done for us.
I often felt a little like we were looked down upon as if we weren't good enough to stay there.

Overall though a beautiful hotel to stay in but probably a once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed November 2013