“The ownership says it all”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #105 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was surprised at some of the management decisions on my stay at the Plaza. Then I got home and Googled that is is owned by Sahara Group and Kingdom Holdings, of Saudia Arabia. I sensed that the management was very unbending. On Saturday night there were 35 or more persons in the Champagne Bar at 11:30 PM. The waiter called out for last call. The upstairs bar was closed for a private party and the Oak Bar has been closed for two years. It was snowing heavily outside and moving on to drink was not an option. I asked to talk with the shift manager and he came out after 20 minutes. He agreed it was not convenient for the guests but said his boss required the bartender to move on to the private party. I told him when paying $1,200 per night an open bar was not much to ask for....This and several other non responsive situations lead me to say I won't be back......

5  Thank DuffyShort2013

Reviewed 15 December 2013

nice hotel, service needs improvement. The branch was not bad. Its not the best.
I find the fairmount New port offers better food then the plaza.
Over priced rooms. Location was nice. Next to Central park and the shopping district.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank calgary737
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The suite was lovely!! The location terrific!! But let me be honest - the service was much less than billed!
For example, we had "butler service" as part of our suite- we never met a butler - there was a phone tab for "butler" but anytime we used it and explained our needs ( ie more towels, concerns with turn down service, questions about nearby restaurants...) the answer was always "let me connect you with ...") Well - why bother with "butler" - just give me a phone tab for housekeeping etc and let us explain our concerns once!

In a similar concern, every room has an iPad - on that iPad you can "order" room cleaning and turndown service and request a specific time. One day, We requested ( and received a confirming message) room cleaning for noon - we came back from breakfast at 10:30 to find the door open and housekeeping there - ordinarily no big deal- but why bother giving us the expectation that we could request a room cleaning time? Likewise, on our room iPad we requested (and received a confirming message)for turndown service, we returned home 2 hours after the requested time to no turndown - called the "butler" who listened to our concern -but put me through to the housekeeping department where I cancelled the service since we were now back for the night - 30 minutes later the sweet housekeeper showed up for "turndown"

Now despite spending over $1400/night for a room, I am really not high maintenance - just don't promise me services that you can't deliver! Forget the "butler" service, let me contact the appropriate service directly and let me voice my concerns one time instead of twice! And don't give me the "option" of a particular cleaning or turndown time - just come when u can and leave it at that!

• Stayed: December 2013
14  Thank mommd23
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear mommd23,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. It sounds like while you enjoyed the hotel itself, you experienced a number of service challenges. We pride ourselves on our service, so this is particularly disappointing to hear. First of all, I apologize for not receiving your room cleaning or turn down services when requested. There is certainly no excuse for that oversight. Also, I regret to hear that your calls were passed around so many times. That should have been handled differently and I can imagine the frustration it must have caused. I truly appreciate your honest feedback and agree that we should have delivered better service. I hope you will be willing to give us a second chance to give you the experience you deserve on your next visit to New York.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I really love the Plaza hotel from when I was kid, so I wanted to share the experience with my children. The quality of the amenities and room were nice, and the location is amazing. There is so much to do and see nearby there (not to mention the rest of New York City). The service could have been a bit better. Check in was slow as well as room service. This landmark is great and could be amazing with a bit better service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Sarah J
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to revert to writing a review on trip advisor.

On a recent visit to NY we attended Palm Court for afternoon tea to celebrate a special family birthday. Booked day before requesting a table for 6 at 4pm. Arrived 20 mins early and although numerous tables were vacant, we were advised that table would not be available till 4pm but to have a drink in the residents bar. Bar staff and service were excellent. Returned to Palm court at 4pm only to be seated at a table that had been vacant since our earlier visit. We were taken to the table,it was obviously far too small for a party of 6 adults. Three of our party had individual seats whilst the other three had to squeeze up on a chaise longue. After looking around the area it was obvious that a number of other larger more suitable tables were available, I called over a member of staff who appeared to be a manager and raised my concerns about the size of the table and requested we be moved to a larger table. His response was that he thought the other tables were going to be reset for other bookings and that he had been doing this for twenty years and that space would not be a problem. He walked away and never returned to our table. Please note the other tables were never utilised until we left at around 5:30pm, afternoon tea last seating is at 5pm. We placed our order for varied afternoon teas from the menu and our cake stands were brought to the table. There were four stands brought through 2 Fitzgerald's on one stand,, one Fitzgerald on another, one Snowflake on another, and an Eloise on another. We sat and awaited the arrival of the last one we had ordered which was a New Yorker before starting our food. We waited a further 5-10 mins before we could attract the attention of one of the servers, we advised him that we were still awaiting a further New Yorker, he advised that we weren't, a somewhat heated discussion took place before he agreed to bring the New Yorker, a further 5 mins later. He advised that he would not charge us extra for the New Yorker, don't know what he meant by extra we were only requesting what we had ordered in the first place. By the time all our food had arrived and we could all start to eat the sandwiches on most of the stands had started to dry out and go hard. With all the cake stands on the table they required to be located directly in front of the guest leaving no space at all for a plate to eat from, all guests required to eat directly from the cake stands. In order to access sugar and milk in the centre of the table you requied to stand to reach over the cake stands. As for the food we regularly take afternoon tea in various 3,4 & 5* establishments throughout the UK, I would describe this as average and nothing special and have had better afternoon teas in 3* hotels in the UK, certainly not worth the money. The service was not what you would expect in this type of establishment. When the check arrived it was just under $440, this included a service charge of $61.58 @18%. This apparently according to the check did not include "gratuity". I handed over $500 to settle the check. The server returned to the table a few minutes later to state "do you wish your change" . If this had not have been for a special occasion I think I would have caused more of a scene at the time but I did not wish to make my wives birthday experience any worse. I have emailed the hotel direct in relation to this review and I await a response.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank alan070361
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Booked a last minute weekend at the Plaza for my wife's birthday and it couldn't have been better. Service was prompt and friendly but not overbearing. Enjoyed a drink at the Champagne Bar before heading out to dinner at Maialino. Next morning a light bite and capuccino in the Food Hall were convenient and tasty. No shortage of casual tasty choices down there. After a bit of shopping on 5th walked down to Flatiron to have a bite at Eataly. Despite the crowds we enjoyed our roast beef and pork sandwichs and coffee then toured around the area for a bit. Took a Sunday morning walk through Central Park which is a must for anyone. Can't wait to go back....

Reviewed 8 December 2013

+ Amazing landmark
+ beautiful lobby
+ very nice and helpful staff
+ brilliant room, nice room size, wonderful bathroom
+ housekeeping is very attentive and friendly
+ location
+ very helpful concierge

- the only kind of negative thing is that since the hotel is quite large it is not very personal. staff has probably no chance to really remember guests since there are often also many people in the hotel who are not guests but just want to take a view pictures

all in all: our place to stay during our next trip to nyc