“Disappointing”

The Plaza
Ranked #116 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here with our 3 children expecting the ultimate in luxury and service. However the service was non existent. Beautiful hotel, great location but unfortunately the hotel seems to be just trading on its name. We had 2 junior suites for 3 nights and didn't even get free water on our bedside tables! Felt like cattle with no personal service whatsoever.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank CJB56
Write a ReviewReviews (2,458)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Recently came back from New York and a City that is well worth a visit. Please avoid The Plaza for Afternoon Tea. The hotel is grand and impressive,and as my daughter is a massive Home Alone fan as well as it being for her 18th birthday, we thought we'd book for Afternoon Tea.
What a complete let down.Your coats aren't taken and hung in a cloakroom just draped over the back of your chair. My cup was stained the cake stand was damaged and it went even further downhill. The sandwiches weren't fresh the top of the bread had started to go hard, the grilled cheese was cold and greasy. You have to serve yourself coffee (silver service in Claridges for the same price). You have to hunt for your waiter to request more coffee which took ten minutes and a further 5 waiting for it...the toilets you had to use were the public toilets downstairs in the food hall not what I expected as a paying customer. Apart from the fact they were dirty and I don't mean fresh soiling.
The food is second rate and the service even less. Do not waste your money there it is a real disappointment. When my wife complained to a manager all she got was "Sorry you feel like that".
Save your money and if you're in London got to Claridges the prices are much the same but in Claridges you get true 5 star treatment from the moment you enter to the time you leave. Perhaps the Plaza staff should go there to learn how it's done correctly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank foley69
Reviewed 17 December 2013

If you go to the Plaza and pay the exorbitant prices they are charging for less than stellar service, adequate to poor food and a crowded lobby full of tourists you are a "sucker." My first visit to the Plaza more than 25 years ago was to one of the best hotels in America. Over the years I have repeatedly stayed at the hotel on trips to NY. Each experience proves less and less welcome. the service is poor at best when it is available. the employees seem to think of themselves as celebrities and frankly, I am not staying at the hotel because someone else stayed there. I have found much better service at NY hotels with better prices. I am used to getting what I pay for and that is not the case at the Plaza. The location is fantastic, you have to give them that, but they have destroyed the legacy of a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask where the construction is?
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
9  Thank Justin W
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was surprised at some of the management decisions on my stay at the Plaza. Then I got home and Googled that is is owned by Sahara Group and Kingdom Holdings, of Saudia Arabia. I sensed that the management was very unbending. On Saturday night there were 35 or more persons in the Champagne Bar at 11:30 PM. The waiter called out for last call. The upstairs bar was closed for a private party and the Oak Bar has been closed for two years. It was snowing heavily outside and moving on to drink was not an option. I asked to talk with the shift manager and he came out after 20 minutes. He agreed it was not convenient for the guests but said his boss required the bartender to move on to the private party. I told him when paying $1,200 per night an open bar was not much to ask for....This and several other non responsive situations lead me to say I won't be back......

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DuffyShort2013
Reviewed 15 December 2013

nice hotel, service needs improvement. The branch was not bad. Its not the best.
I find the fairmount New port offers better food then the plaza.
Over priced rooms. Location was nice. Next to Central park and the shopping district.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank calgary737
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The suite was lovely!! The location terrific!! But let me be honest - the service was much less than billed!
For example, we had "butler service" as part of our suite- we never met a butler - there was a phone tab for "butler" but anytime we used it and explained our needs ( ie more towels, concerns with turn down service, questions about nearby restaurants...) the answer was always "let me connect you with ...") Well - why bother with "butler" - just give me a phone tab for housekeeping etc and let us explain our concerns once!

In a similar concern, every room has an iPad - on that iPad you can "order" room cleaning and turndown service and request a specific time. One day, We requested ( and received a confirming message) room cleaning for noon - we came back from breakfast at 10:30 to find the door open and housekeeping there - ordinarily no big deal- but why bother giving us the expectation that we could request a room cleaning time? Likewise, on our room iPad we requested (and received a confirming message)for turndown service, we returned home 2 hours after the requested time to no turndown - called the "butler" who listened to our concern -but put me through to the housekeeping department where I cancelled the service since we were now back for the night - 30 minutes later the sweet housekeeper showed up for "turndown"

Now despite spending over $1400/night for a room, I am really not high maintenance - just don't promise me services that you can't deliver! Forget the "butler" service, let me contact the appropriate service directly and let me voice my concerns one time instead of twice! And don't give me the "option" of a particular cleaning or turndown time - just come when u can and leave it at that!

• Stayed: December 2013
14  Thank mommd23
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear mommd23,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. It sounds like while you enjoyed the hotel itself, you experienced a number of service challenges. We pride ourselves on our service, so this is particularly disappointing to hear. First of all, I apologize for not receiving your room cleaning or turn down services when requested. There is certainly no excuse for that oversight. Also, I regret to hear that your calls were passed around so many times. That should have been handled differently and I can imagine the frustration it must have caused. I truly appreciate your honest feedback and agree that we should have delivered better service. I hope you will be willing to give us a second chance to give you the experience you deserve on your next visit to New York.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I really love the Plaza hotel from when I was kid, so I wanted to share the experience with my children. The quality of the amenities and room were nice, and the location is amazing. There is so much to do and see nearby there (not to mention the rest of New York City). The service could have been a bit better. Check in was slow as well as room service. This landmark is great and could be amazing with a bit better service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family