“Privilege for a Price” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Privilege for a Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the Plaza for two nights with our two teenagers. It is a beautiful hotel with fabulously fancy rooms and is in the best location possible in NYC. The room was over $1000.00/night, but we were treated like royalty and made to feel special the entire time. Only hotel guests can go in the lobby/check-in area of the hotel. Tourists are swarming around the main part of the hotel, but guests are treated as special visitors. We stayed in one room with two queen beds - it was huge with a gorgeous bathroom and very tall ceilings - which made it feel even bigger. The room is equipped with an iPad that controls the tv, lights and ac for the room. The French Provincial decor is not my favorite, but it works at The Plaza - privilege for a price!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Egwalter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
2020
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We expected much from The Plaza, and got a beautifully decorated room, unfortunately, the hotel service was awful, it was a disappointment from the moment we arrived.

We came from a 15 hour flight, and no one at the driveway offered to assist with our luggage. After asking for assistance, we were rudely signalled to wait for a doorman, who unfortunately did not arrive. So we ended up carrying our luggage ourselves, up the stairs and thru the vaulted doors of the famous Plaza. We ended up carrying it to the room as well.

The same thing happened on our last day when we retrieved our luggage at the bell desk. We asked for assistance to get a cab, but somehow the bellman just left us our luggage at the lobby and left. I then asked the concierge for assistance with the luggage and a ride to the airport, and the Concierge told me that luggage assistance was not part of their service. I had to ask a third time before being unhappily assisted. Frustrating.

Disappointing service for such a nice property. The rooms are well designed and comfortable. The bathrooms are large and they offer fine amenities.

Hotel Wifi was awful as well. You have to stay near the door to get descent internet service. And they even charge for Wifi! I mentioned the poor internet coverage to the butler twice, but they were not able to resolve the problem during the stay.

Overall, the hotel experience was quite poor. Great Rooms and a Beautiful lobby does not compensate for Awful service and unhelpful personnel. We stayed at the Four Seasons during the same trip and they really offered better and friendlier service.

Avoid the Plaza. Its not worth the money.

Room Tip: Avoid Suite 1732. Paid Wifi Service is Awful. No Wifi signal, except near the door.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wallyQ
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear wallyQ,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your feedback. I’m so sorry to hear of the lack of service you experienced. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been and it's absolutely unacceptable. I have shared your post with our Management Team to conduct further follow-up. I would also like to take this opportunity to tell you that Internet is complimentary for members of our loyalty program, Fairmont Presidents’ Club, which is free to join at check-in and offers many other benefits. I do apologize that you had connectivity challenges. Thank you again for your feedback.
Biloxi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was very disappointed. For a little over a thousand a night, we only saw the butler when I asked. He had the smell of alcohol on his breath. The room and bath was straightened but not cleaned during our stay. The toilet area smelled bad. We had a terrace. Even following the directions to lock that door, we weren't able to lock it. There were light bulbs burnt out. The drapes weren't entirely hung on one of the windows. I ordered a filet mignon and got a really bad steak. We got a special for $40 that was the New York City Amenity with chocolate Taxi and Empire State building. We never received that. I asked for documentation on the additional charges after we left. It took 3 weeks to get it. I won't stay there again. I suggest anyone thinking about it to stay some place else.

Room Tip: Stay some place else. There are lots of hotels that are priced less but are better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank mytripper2
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear mytripper2,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. The experience you describe is certainly unacceptable. I've shared your post with our Executive Team in order to facilitate internal review as appropriate. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip to New York City.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Oh my gosh, I don't have enough superlatives for how much I LOVED my stay at the Plaza. It hasn't even been a week since I left, and already I'm planning my next trip- it was that amazing. This was my first time staying here, something I've often daydreamed about, and it definitely exceeded my fairy-tale expectations!

It all started when I arrived early in the afternoon last Monday. Due to booking with AmEx Fine Hotels, I figured I'd likely receive an upgrade and early check-in, but considering that's always subject to availability, I knew there was a chance I might not. But sure enough, as soon as I got to the front desk they told me I'd been upgraded from the standard Plaza King to the Deluxe King, and my room was ready right away! I walked in to find Baz Luhrmann's GREAT GATSBY playing on the TV (which happens to be one of my favorites) and a spacious, gorgeously decorated room. Loved it!

The service really makes the Plaza stand out. On two different occasions during my stay, I was given the use of the courtesy car to take me to my meetings, rather than having to wait in the cold for a cab. So awesome! But the biggest gift of my stay was thanks to Brent at the front desk. After finding a little spider in my room midway into my trip, he actually moved me--at no extra charge--into the Deluxe Rose Suite!!! I was blown away by Brent going the extra mile to make up for a minor issue and ensure that my stay remained magical. And wow, was the Deluxe Rose Suite fantastic! It is absolutely huge, with two glittering chandeliers, a gorgeous TV console separating the spacious living room from the bed, a full bathroom and another half-bath, and furniture, artwork and fixtures fit for royalty. I seriously couldn't get enough of that gorgeous room and am still looking at the pix I took of it!

Other perks:

- Afternoon Tea at the Palm Court gets an A+. I was late for my reservation, but it was no problem and I was seated right away. I chose The New Yorker, which was absolutely DELICIOUS, and there is no more beautiful setting to dine in than the Palm Court.

- Breakfast at the hotel also gets an A+. It's included with the AmEx Fine Hotels package, and waking up to a delicious, complimentary breakfast in bed each morning was one of the best perks of the stay.

- The Plaza Food Hall has an amazing array of choices and at great prices. This was such a great option when I was hungry but didn't want to splurge on room-service or restaurant lunch.

- The in-room iPads to control lighting, room temperature, request housekeeping, etc are a very cool touch.

- Toiletries and amenities are top-notch. Housekeeping is very generous with the Caudalie products, and I love the Plaza slippers, elegant pens and notepads, and all the other thoughtful touches throughout the room.

Most of all, what makes the Plaza #1 for me and so unforgettable is its incredible history and legacy. I really feel like I've gone back in time to the elegant, dazzling Old New York- while getting to enjoy all the modern amenities! To sum up, there is nothing better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AlexSings2U
Dear AlexSings2U,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear that The Plaza exceeded your "fairy-tale expectations" and that you found our colleagues helpful and welcoming. I've shared your praise with Brent and the rest of the team. We appreciate your post and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to New York!
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

a fab hotel in art deco style with the real good old style service loved this place and the beds well 8 pillows needed def fab staff and real good old style of service and food well the biggest to...may toes tomatoes lol in the world im sure breakfast eat as much as you want.. and waking up next to the famous central park watching them ice skate even better walked out one day seen the rock getting off his harley and walking into CBS news had some great fun in and out of the hotel could right an essay on what to do oh if u r brits and u want fish and chips well tough lol no you got to go usually to an irish pub u will get a fish roll like a massive sausage in batter lovely though and visit madam tussauds as their a few special things here walk in then walk out, some one will follow u out offer you a discount ... works for me ..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thefinch2013
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Truly amazing hotel, always wanted to stay here and we did after our Christmas European trip last year. This truly finished off a great trip and only the plaza could have been where we all had to stay. Truly amazing service. Amazing hotel and atmosphere of magic. Thankyou to all the staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Usa W
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Usa W,

Thank you for your post. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Plaza and have shared your glowing comments with the team. We hope to welcome you back again one day soon!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the beginning of December for Annual weekend in New York with my mom. Very beautiful hotel. Room was great. Upgraded with Amex fine hotels. Check in was good . Concierge was very good. Always willing to help. Only disappointment was the lack of personalized service. It's a very large hotel and lots of people coming in and put to take pictures in lobby etc. we stayed At the pierre two years ago and the service was unbeatable.

Ate breakfast at the palm court (buffet). It was good. Another breakfast in room. Had champagne once in champagne bar and another time in rose bar. Good choice of champagne and good choice of food to snack on before dinner. Overall very good. It wouldn't stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family