“Afternoon Tea worth every penny!”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #97 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea worth every penny!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My sister & I took afternoon tea at the Plaza, it was out of this world. The sandwiches were made within seconds of us consuming so extremely fresh, cakes were clearly made that day and the tea just kept coming. Absolutely worth every penny of the $50 each that we paid.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mrsmac067

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a beautiful Hotel with lovely rooms.High quality food and overall good service but let down badly by a sense that its living off its iconic status.I had to pay almost $30 dollars for a morning wake up coffee.This is absurd.Why on earth haven't they an Expresso Machine! I expect nothing less in a luxury Hotel.The Bar in the lobby serves great cocktailsWhy is it short staffed and is it necessary to make a fuss to get served.I am a Member of the Presidents Club Is it to much to expect a commitment to a late check out made at the time of booking to be honoured.Disappointed overall!Get the Plaza up to the standards of the Savoy and Pacific Rim and I might come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Akyemman
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Akyemman,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. While I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, the quality of the food, and our colleague's overall service, I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with other aspects of your stay. We do have espresso machines available upon request, and would have been happy to provide you with one. Should you choose to stay with us again, please let us know at the time of booking and we will note the request in your profile. And while we aren't able to guarantee late check-out requests upon booking, we always try our best to accommodate when possible based on occupancy levels, which we hope you can understand.

We appreciate your comments and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to "wow" you on your next trip to New York City. Thank you, again.
Katonah
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Excellent. The hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. They were extremely courteous and efficient and enjoyed hearing about our Plaza history......first date at The Rendezvous Room, wedding night, 25th,30th,40th and our 50th this year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Thomas O
Dear Thomas O,

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary and how lovely it is to know that your first date was here in The Rendezvous Room - we love hearing these stories! We are so honored to be a part of such wonderful milestones in your life and we look forward to welcoming you back for the next.
Jhb
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Our annual trip was an absolute pleasure. We love New York, and we love staying at the Plaza. I genuinely believe that you cant get a better hotel. The plaza has the best location, rooms, staff and the food hall make this the best hotel in NYC!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Andrew B
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 May 2014

So this hotel is one of the best in New York. The location is amazing being that you are in front of Central Park. I must say that the staff is what separates this hotel from any other. The rooms have an antique feel to them only unique to New York. I strongly recommend that you go and see the Plaza hotel and stay there!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing but the rooms facing the courtyard are fairly cheap with great views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jroque89
Dear Jroque89,

Thank you for your post. We are thrilled to hear that you consider us " one of the best in New York" and will share your kinds words with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to New York!
London
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

So this hotel is wonderful in its decor, the service staff give you is brilliant and is in a great location. The bathroom and bathtub was beautiful! Beds very comfortable too. The IPad controls did play up in the room however.
I thought this was the best hotel I had stayed at.

on my return home I was disappointed to learn from my sister that the hotel had charged her over $125 for a small birthday cake for my boyfriends birthday as a surprise! I had organised one via the hotel which in fairness to the hotel was complementary, it was just the right size for 2 as a dessert.

The $125 cake my sister had ordered was smaller than the one I had organised and was not of the same quality, which was a shame. I feel my sister was ripped off here,maybe in the hope of the hotel with us not finding out their ridiculous charge for cake!

This is why my review is less than great.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank thescarletwoman
Reviewed 21 May 2014

ok, after very nice hotel in LA and Miami, i couldnt wait to go to New York and visit The Plaza Hotel since i was dreaming to visit it since i was little and saw it in Home Alone 2. It is very nice hotel, but its not thaat luxury and cool for its prices. Anyway i had good time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business