“Some good things but a pity others let it down.”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #109 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
uk
“Some good things but a pity others let it down.”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Apologies that this review is so late, it has been a busy year and I completely forgot about my New York trip.
I stayed at the Plaza many years ago, 2004 to be exact, when it was the old Plaza and it was truly dreadful. My hopes were high as Fairmount ( Savoy etc ) are now in charge.
Some of the Hotel has been converted into apartments which is a pity. The refit has kept as many of the original features as possible. Maybe this is for sentimental reasons or cost saving but it hasn’t always been a good thing. The bathrooms in particular feel like just that, the old fittings were retained to keep costs down. A case in point is the showers. To use it effectively you actually have to have your back against the wall, touching the wall, there is no adjustment. In an Hotel like this that is not a pleasing quirk it is just poor.
The bar in the lobby, in five days, never had the ingredients for a drink I requested, some sort of raspberry compote of some such, again eyebrow raising for an Hotel such as this and the barman who I think has been there years could smile occasionally that would be nice.
Te bar one floor up is a different proposition, great staff and it was all but empty one evening and I kept them up late, great fun great service.
Every night I had coffee in the room, every night I hardly drank half a cup having collapsed on the bed after yet another great night out in fabulous New York City. Only thing is, on two occasions the tray of coffee had not been removed the next evening, even after I left it outside the door to make it really obvious. It isn’t a five star experience.
The saving grace is the concierge staff, faultless, above and beyond both in getting us bookings before I arrived and during the stay, thank you guys so much. The Plaza is expensive, massively over priced actually. Would I go back, no, not after one terrible experience ( which the current management knew about ), and a sub standard experience this time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UKVictor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, OR
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I love this historic hotel...tradition, decor, all staff, attention to service, rooms, bathroom, lower level food court, etc. the only reason I did not give a 5 star rating was due to the cost, which, I realize, pays everything I'd mentioned. So if it's a business expense or a special occasion, splurge for an unforgettable experience. I just wish the nightly rate was about 30% more reasonable. But, well done to all Plaza staff!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PLimPortland_OR
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The a Plaza is a superb hotel. Attentive staff and great facilitates. The rooms are generous and the suites are very comfortable. Quality of the food is extremely high and the breakfasts are more than ample. Superb location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Benjamin C
NJ
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just returned from a two day stay at the Plaza for a special occasion. My wife and I have always wanted to stay here having had drinks at the Champagne Bar and the Rose Club in the past. That and it's iconic status had us wanting to give it a try. We were not disappointed at all. From our arrival greeting by the doorman to the helpful Butler service to the assistance in making use of the house car everyone was wonderful. Kudos to Neil, the doorman. He was extra helpful, pleasant, and just a nice guy to talk to while waiting.Our suite was beautiful in an old world way. The bathroom in particular was huge. We ate in The Palm Court restaurant for breakfast and it was excellent, if pricey, but to be expected. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to return some day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerland
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear gerland,

We are so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay during your recent visit to The Plaza! I will be sure to share your praise with Neil and the rest of our team. We hope to welcome you and your wife back again soon!
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel, fab experience for honeymoon. They gave us Moët champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries for our first night - thank you. Butler was a great touch and most helpful. Super location for Central Park and 5th Avenue

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Loveholliers
Dear Loveholliers,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! We are thrilled to hear that you had a fabulous honeymoon stay at The Plaza, and we hope to welcome you for many anniversaries to come!
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My sister & I took afternoon tea at the Plaza, it was out of this world. The sandwiches were made within seconds of us consuming so extremely fresh, cakes were clearly made that day and the tea just kept coming. Absolutely worth every penny of the $50 each that we paid.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mrsmac067
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a beautiful Hotel with lovely rooms.High quality food and overall good service but let down badly by a sense that its living off its iconic status.I had to pay almost $30 dollars for a morning wake up coffee.This is absurd.Why on earth haven't they an Expresso Machine! I expect nothing less in a luxury Hotel.The Bar in the lobby serves great cocktailsWhy is it short staffed and is it necessary to make a fuss to get served.I am a Member of the Presidents Club Is it to much to expect a commitment to a late check out made at the time of booking to be honoured.Disappointed overall!Get the Plaza up to the standards of the Savoy and Pacific Rim and I might come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Akyemman
Dear Akyemman,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. While I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, the quality of the food, and our colleague's overall service, I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with other aspects of your stay. We do have espresso machines available upon request, and would have been happy to provide you with one. Should you choose to stay with us again, please let us know at the time of booking and we will note the request in your profile. And while we aren't able to guarantee late check-out requests upon booking, we always try our best to accommodate when possible based on occupancy levels, which we hope you can understand.

We appreciate your comments and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to "wow" you on your next trip to New York City. Thank you, again.