“Great Stay”

The Plaza
Ranked #101 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 June 2014

There is improvement on the room service . The guy answering the phone ,don't care. The Sunday Brunch was a disappointted.
Champagne Bar was great. Ask for Azee,
Tell him Phil sent you from North Myrtle Beach

1  Thank dennischarlotte
There are newer reviews for The Plaza

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed for 4 nights the place is nice but having stayed at the savoy part of the same group I would say the Savoy standards are higher especially in welcome and service I feel you get a more personal touch.
The hotel is magnificent service is ok , the rooms will soon be ready for an update as refurbished in 2005 according to reception.
Would we stay again yes definite and you can't beat the history and beautiful surroundings.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

great place and very welcoming staff.... So nice to get that personal touch in a big hotel. A must to say in again when visiting NY.

Shame I was there for business - would have loved to go there with the family...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JamesTrv
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This magnificent hotel - or rather, palace - is something fit for royalty! The hospitality of the experienced staff was amazing and our room was a pleasure to stay in. Definitely recommend this for any type of vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2014

What a beautiful hotel!! Everyone should try to stay here at least once, more if you can.

I stayed last weekend for a romantic get away with my husband. This was my first time staying at a Fairmont hotel, but my husband stays on a regular basis, and it was everything great that he told me about. The building is BEAUTIFUL. Love the elegant old fashion look. The staff is AMAZING. We were always treated like we were the most important guests. The security was visible, with out being overbearing. The Palm Court restaurant is very nice. One of the best burgers! The staff at the Palm Court was also very good. The front desk people were so nice and friendly, excellent customer service. The room was AMAZING! The bed was like heaven in a cloud. The housekeeping guest came twice a day. Everything was beautiful. We did have a problem with the I-pad (used for the light/ heat), but when we called down to address the issue a person came up to fix it. It disconnected again, so we really couldn't use it (We didn't call to get it fixed because we were still in our pjs). The service was the best I have ever experienced. I would highly rec'd this hotel to anyone wanting a true luxury NY experience. If you are looking for Beyonce and Jay-Z in the elevator this might not be my first choice. This hotel is for an older crowd. I just turned 40 and I think I was among the younger end of the guests ( except the kids with their parents). But everyone should have this amazing experience. I had a great stay. I feel like I am forgetting something, but the only word to remember regarding this hotel is PERFECT. Great location. Great Service. Great Bed. Great EVERYTHING!!!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

A bit disappointing to see what happened to the ledgendary Plaza hotel... this is a smaller version (the original is now partly apartments and partly hotel).. Rooms are not as great as they used to be but still an excellent address and the service is very good.. At least the Palm Court is still there thank God....

Room Tip: Don't take rooms overlooking the inner courtyard ...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank M A
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Wow, staying at THE Plaza! Have never done that before, thinking it was just too over the top. I read the reviews on TA and was pleased to read that most of the recent reviews were very very positive. And so I reserved one of the nicer rooms on American Express Platinum, hoping for an upgrade as is usually the case, and decided that the extra extra expense of this stay was worth a shot.

Arrived in early evening and went to our allegedly upgraded suite/room on the 17th floor facing the courtyard, which I recommend to all travellers to AVOID, unless you like dark and uninteresting. The room was very bizarre; very long, 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs, one window at the very end of the "suite" and a dark tunnel on the way other end where the bed was. No luggage racks (had to request two; was sent one, had to re-request the second, the "butler" came when we were trying to shower, etc.) The next morning I asked to be moved, and thankfully was able to be moved to a room on the top 19th floor looking out at the Plaza's famous windows! The green tile roof was so pretty to look at from the sunbathed bathroom of which there was one in this "suite". The dimension was much smaller, but made sense and so was far far superior to the first room. The very nice young woman at reception had to speak to her supervisor about making this change; apparently it was a higher grade room?

Overall, very comfortable, and I didn't mind having to go through the request for luggage tables once again, which arrived once again when we were bathing. I was so happy to be in an undark room!

The room critiques however are: looking out this amazing window onto the tile roof, one sees.... in addition to a view of NY, garbage right outside the window of the hotel room rooftop! What is the point of having a nice rooftop room and view to the historic green tiled roof when it is littered with a bit of trash?

We had breakfasts in the palm court, had the minor inefficiency that one would not expect in the palm court (tell-tale crumbs on the table, stains on the napkin, marks on a cup. Overall the breakfast was very good and the waitress we had on the first days was very nice. When I was forced to send the undercooked pancakes back to the kitchen on morning no. 3, the waiter who had previously imperious and icy became much gentler.

The last surprise came at checkout when thank goodness I had a good look at the bill before signing off. I had been charged $450 more per night for the room on the 19th floor! Over $1k with tax was to be the "surcharge" for the room change. The very young man held firmly in his opinion that I should have been told this by American Express, or that I should have asked or that I should have done something to know that I would be charged for the room change. I told him that there was NO WAY I was going to pay that amount and finally he spoke to his supervisor. After many more minutes of wait time added to our car bill who was waiting to take us to the airport, finally he emerged saying that he would adjust the bill.

There is a saying: if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it. Maybe that was the message they were trying to convey?

Overall, the experience was a little disappointing because we personally found the hyper-decoration in the hallways (see photo of neonish lights in the ceilings, overglitzy "chandeliers" in the hallways that look like they were bulk-ordered from a low-cost chandelier company, fake "portraits" of spanish-or-some-other-type of nobilty which might have been framed color mimeographs, etc. to be distasteful. While we mainly decided to not be concerned about the first "little glitches" in terms of workmanship, service or pristine surroundings, (a badly done corner of a bathroom; a badly grouted tile; an unfinished molding on a ceiling; crumbs and residual food on a cup, etc.) the series of these events tipped the scales in favor of "disappointment."

Value for money was not obtained during this stay at the famous Fairmont Managed Plaza Hotel, and we will surely go elsewhere on our next trip to NY.

PS: The exercise room is in a depressing dark basement that one has to reach by going down an institutional-like staircase. Uninviting. Plus, no water, no coffee, no nothing down there.

Room Tip: avoid the courtyard view unless you don't mind dark and uninteresting. beware of the suites; th...
7  Thank melanieag