“Just as great as you would expect”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #100 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We ended up at the Plaza after a less-than-pleasant experience at a different hotel in Manhattan. I was pretty sick during our family vacation, and coming to the Plaza I immediately felt more relaxed and taken care of. The room was wonderfully appointed and a nice size for the four of us (particularly considering NYC hotel rooms). The staff was courteous and they took particular interest in, and care of, my 9 year old daughter and 11 year old son. While you certainly pay to stay at the Plaza, they take excellent care of you.

1  Thank Nataluscious
There are newer reviews for The Plaza

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been drawn to the Plaza ever since I had first heard of Eloise at the Plaza (and then later Home Alone). So finally my husband and I took a trip there (first time to New York). I'm not sure it lived up to what I had envisioned. The entrance and lobby of the Plaza is just as you would imagine, grand and elegant. The service however..... not so much. We waited at least half an hour for our room to be ready (even though we arrived after check in time). When we finally got up there though, our room was gorgeous. Not a great view out the back (58th Street), I would pay for a better view next time. The bedding was the most comfortable I have slept on in a hotel (OK tied with the Four Seasons). I forgot a toothbrush and called the butler (one per floor) to bring one and after at least half and hour he never appeared so we had to call again. Little things like that are annoying when you are in a "5 Star" hotel.
The Food Hall in the basement is not to be missed. I was picturing some kind of food court and wow it is nothing like a food court! The food (you name it they've got it) is fabulous. Desserts, cheeses, pastries, sushi I could go on. Room service desserts and hot chocolate were excellent too.
My trip to the Plaza would not be complete without a trip to the Eloise store, so of course I had to go and buy an umbrella and books for my daughter. We unfortunately left all of the gifts in our room when we left so called back to inquire their whereabouts. It was all found in the maids locker rooms (weird?) and yes of course they would ship it to us. So $60US later we received the items and the next day the umbrella broke in several pieces. We still have the book though:)
Overall I think the Plaza is nice but would not stay there again as there are too many other luxury hotels in New York to visit. Not a disappointment but just not quite worth the hype.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aburt2 .
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear aburt2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. While I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed The Plaza Food Hall, Room Service, and our comfortable beds, I'm disappointed to learn that your service experience was less than stellar. Overall, it sounds like you enjoyed the rest of your experience, but I'm sorry to hear that we did not quite win you over. Thank you, again, for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I will start with the positive. It is a lovely hotel with a fabulous location. All of the staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful. Also, it is so convenient to have the food halls on the lower level...great places to stop in for coffee, snacks, or a quick meal. Now with the negative. Our first room had a strong odor of smoke (along with the horrible chemical smell of whatever they spray in rental cars to cover smoke). We told the front desk and they offered to put an ozone machine in to clear out the smell. It was not effective, but it was late and we decided to turn in. By the next morning we could not tolerate the smell and asked to be relocated. Unfortunately it was to a smaller and less equipped room. That night the turn down service did not prepare the fold-out for our son. We got in late and called guest services to ask for bedding. We waited 30 minutes and called again. We were told that they were very busy, but someone would arrive very soon. When it got to be close to 1AM and no one came, we cancelled the service request and my 5 year old had to sleep on a bare mattress. Although individual staff members treated us well during our stay, this was certainly not the the experience we were expecting from The Plaza.

5  Thank wllopez

Dear wllopez,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us - both the positive and the negative. While I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our central location, friendly staff and the convenience of The Plaza Food Hall, I'm disappointed to learn of the rest of your experience, as this is certainly not up to our standard of service. We hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to New York City.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed for 10 days in an Edwardian suite and were very, very happy with the experience. The room is beautiful and extremely comfortable. Service was wonderful and proximity to the park, shows, and shopping unbeatable.

1  Thank Elaine A
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Historical, contemporary, beautiful and very pleasant. We stay every year. If you are looking for a Central Park and Fifth Ave. location to shop, dine and see Broadway Theater, the Plaza is the perfect hotel.

1  Thank Lori M
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Plaza Hotel. The best hotel in New York. The staff are professional and provide excellent customer to all their guest. It was a memorable experience staying at the Plaza Hotel!!!!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel is GORGEOUS. Our Rose suite was GORGEOUS. Clean, very comfortable, it was well worth the money.

The staff were all nice and courteous,and ready to help you with any questions you had.

I was disappointing that they didn't offer the great Gatsby on the move channel or they should at least have free copies to hand out to guests, I asked for it at the front desk and they said they only had 3 copies and they were all rented out.

The dining experience is not worth the price, the restaurant itself and the ambiance and staff are nice but the food is not worth the price. You're better off to walk out of the hotel and find one of my many nice small french bistros or other places where you'll get your money's worth.

Overall the ambiance, courtesy of staff and cleanliness of the hotel won me over.

Room Tip: Choose a suite, worth the money!
1  Thank MissAdina