“Letdown”

The Plaza
Ranked #104 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We booked the Plaza expecting it to be a high end hotel, but were surprised to find to rooms and service lacking.

Outdated decor and desperately in need of a general overhaul.

We arrive with our 12 year old son at 11 pm tired and ready for bed. Although we had booked a cot for him in was not in the room. I had to call and have it brought in and set up. It took at least 25-30 minutes for housekeeping to bring it up.

We are staying on a floor with a butler. At no time has our butler stopped by, introduced themselves or left any complimentary water (or anything else).

The next day our tv didn't work and the toilet was broken. After cleaning the room still no water. We called about the tv and toilet in the morning and when we came back at the end of the day I spoke to the front desk manager about the above who apologized and offered to buy us breakfast tomorrow. I asked about leaving water in the room and he indicated that this should be done every time the room is changed. We'll see about that tomorrow.

When we came back up to the room the tv worked but the toilet still had not been fixed. The repair man showed up at 6:15 when I was getting ready to go out for dinner. I am not sure why this could not have been dealt with during the day.

We are booked for 4 more nights. Let's hope things improve.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Foxjax
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear foxjax,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm disappointed to hear that we missed the mark on a few things during your stay and I'd like to assure you that your post has been sharing with our Director of Rooms in order to facilitate further internal review. On another note, I'm also sorry to hear that you aren't a fan of our decor. We actually completed an extensive renovation of the hotel a few years ago - this included all 282 guest rooms, hallways, the exterior, and many public spaces. Thank you again for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,394)

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the plaza for 4 nights with our 11 year old daughter, very friendly staff, Eddie the bellman was fantastic along with Caroline the assistant restaurant manager who more than sorted a small issue that we had regarding breakfast service, she have us $90 off our bill and the next morning at breakfast they treated us like kings, they gave us free coffee and orange juice also at the end of breakfast they gave us a plate of chocolate covered strawberries along with a chocolate yellow cab full of m and m' s. The classic egg benedict for breakfast was simply awesome and the french toast was amazing. We truly had the plaza experience

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Andrewstratton
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Had a great Christmas in the plaza. Wonderful hotel, great vibe around christmas.

We were in a deluxe rose suite, which was huge by NYC std!

With the exception of the housekeeping i was pretty disappointed in the staff. Normally USA staff and service put us to shame but generally i was surprised at how poor it was. I really expected more.

Also no dinning options for guest! Unless you book a few days in advance you are no hope for breakfast lunch or high tea! Even had a 20 min wait for a seat at the food hall! Luckily plenty of other options in the best city in the world!

Room Tip: Deluxe rose suite was very good interior but poor outlook
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steve l
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I had lunch here today. It was very relaxing, the service was wonderful, and the food first class. The crab cake entree was two panko covered cakes with very sweet crab. The Pasta bolognese was a nice change. The twenty layer dessert disappeared without any trouble. NYC can be very frenetic - this was a wonderful respite. And we had the famous Eloise picture just across from our table (through a window) - great for people watching as people had their pictures taken.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zandz-lx2
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear zandz-lx2,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback with us here at TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your visit to The Palm Court and hope to welcome you back again soon. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

It was my first time to visit the great New York City and my business events are all in Manhattan so I had to stay in a hotel close by. The Plaza was the perfect hotel for me to experience New York City for the first time. I didn't find Eloise abut I went to her shop. :)

I took the red eye flight from Salt Lake City and arrived there at 7am. I checked in and guess what? My room is already available. I was so impressed. I was able to rest in my hotel room before doing some city exploration. I expected the room to be small since it is New York City but the hotel room at The Plaza was surprisingly spacious and absolutely stunning! Every piece of furniture reminds you of the old world. The bathroom is marble from walls to floor. Service is quick and comfortable. The door men were very friendly. Breakfast by the lobby was a delight and they accommodated me even when i came after breakfast hours already. The dining hall was nostalgic - I've seen it in many movies before.

What I enjoyed the most is its location. Across the street is Central Park and you can rent bikes to use in the park. Shopping and culture are walking distance. After all, you're in the heart of Manhattan.

When you get tired of luxury restaurants, just go to the lowest floor of the hotel and you will find some great eating establishments.

This is where you should go if you want to experience NYC at its fullest and get a taste of the rich culture and history it has to offer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank onceuponaplace

Dear macytravels,

Thank you for your post. We are thrilled that you chose The Plaza for your first visit to New York City, and even more thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of all we have to offer under one roof, as well as our neighboring areas, and of course Central Park. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New York City!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My two daughters and I came to New York to celebrate my 70th
birthday. What better place to stay than the Plaza!! The hotel, of course, was beautiful and iconic, as we knew it would be. The staff was wonderful and so friendly and helpful!! This hotel was well worth the price and hopefully we can come back and celebrate my 75th!!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've been to New York countless times over the years, but I had never stayed at the Plaza Hotel. In May I went to a conference in New York that was held at the Plaza. I've traveled all of the world and stayed at a number of nice places. The Plaza ranks up there with the best. The location is perfect for whatever you want to do. Since it was a couple of days before Mother's Day, I decided to invite my Sweetheart for her gift. While I was working, she was relaxing and enjoying the hotel. We both had a wonderful experience and will return to the Plaza. If you have a chance to stay at the Plaza, definitely take advantage of it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Lamar H,

Thank you for your glowing comments. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here at The Plaza and we looks forward to seeing you and your Sweetheart again soon!