“I loved every minute of it. Do not pay attention to the other reviews.”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #93 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“I loved every minute of it. Do not pay attention to the other reviews.”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The people were extremely gracious and helpful from the doorman to the maids to the butler to the concierge to the front desk. I stayed in the Terrace suite and the room was amazing. I was lucky to get a room with a great view of central park. We did not eat there (except in the basement which is like a food court at Harrods--upscale and very good food). I got a special rate through our corporate travel agent which was extremely reasonable for a two story suite in a 5 star hotel. I had my family with me and everyone had an amazing stay. We even had a cocktail party before going out for dinner and the butler served our first round of drinks for us. I have stayed here before and first came here with my father 40 years ago. There is only one Plaza and I think this trip will be a cherished memory for all my family.

I think those who give negative reviews may have ben rude and received less than perfect service as a result, or don't understand you are supposed to tip for service and when you don't you are probably not going to get treated as well as if you did. The doorman, the maid, the butler, the concierge (if he helped you) --all should be tipped as is convention at 5 star world class hotels. In my experience they all deserved to be tipped and I couldn't have been happier with how the hotel was run.

Room Tip: some of the suites on the west end of the hotel even though they are in the south wing have great v...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
orlando
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Walking into the plaza was a real treat, I even had my share of being star struck twice in one day:) However..... The plaza known for its high tea needs a makeover in service and tea selection. How can you call it high tea but only offer minimal tea selections. I do like the tradtional tea but at the prices you pay at 50.00 a person I expected more herbal and loose fruit tea blends as teavana has, not just the standard earl gray which you can have at Denny's or IHop if you wanted. I do not look like a million dollars but I do tip 20% or more depending on the service. I was dressed respectivley and was treated as though other table were of more importance. I had ordered 2 high teas... At $50 and $60 a piece I should have had better service and better choices in tea.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank pirate21
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is an iconic property that is filled with beautiful decor and history. The service was impeccable from hot coffee delivered to my room in the morning, ice delivered, concierge assistance was A+. It's a must stay at least once in your like.

• Stayed August 2014
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Unacceptable service, and unclean room. Paid way too much money and had no service. The Butler service was a joke. We made a request and it was not done. We were made promises that we're not kept. We're given a bottle of champagne and it was something I've never heard of. We looked it up and it retailed for 10 bucks. What an insult, considering I'd been drinking $30 a glass champagne. Very disappointed and not my first time with service issues. The long black hair on the walls of the shower were disgusting.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

12 Thank Chicagogirl0812
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Chicagogirl0812,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. What you have described is unacceptable and certainly not up to our level of standards. I've shared your comments with our Executive Team in order to facilitate further internal review. Thank you again for your post.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Hotel is a beautiful building with a lot of history and life to it, however, I have to say that for such a beautiful high class hotel the carpet upon the entrance of the hotel is all stained and dirty which gives off a very bad impression of the overall cleanliness and look of The Plaza. The main dining area was closed for renovation during the summer holiday periods causing guests to crowd up in. Small cafe area for breakfast which had the worse service ever..... The food was cold, servers lazy and it took forever to get an orange juice upon seating! Lastly, every time I called the concierge no one would answer and when I went downstairs to talk to them no one was there, even though I had complained about this none of the staff seemed to care.

Other than that, the newly renovated hotel room was beautiful although hardly any views.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lisi B
Dear Lisi B,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm disappointed to hear that we missed the mark on a few things during your stay and I'd like to assure you that your post has been shared with our team in order to facilitate further internal review. We do hope you will give us another chance on your next visit to New York to experience The Palm Court for Breakfast, Afternoon Tea, or cocktails when it is reopens under our new Culinary Director, Geoffrey Zakarian. Thank you again for your review.
Lake Louise, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

If you want luxury and perfect walking distance to the main attractions in NYC then this is it. The Plaza will forever stay in my memory as the epitome of luxurious hotels! The rooms were beautiful and we went to the Champagne lounge and had amazing service and great food. It's adjacent to Central Park and we walked to many great restaurants, Times Square, Central Station etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingChild296
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I stayed in a suite for 4 nights, and while the property itself is gorgeous, for the rates they charge and their placement as a luxury hotel, I honestly expected more. Staff are friendly and try hard, but clearly are not trained at the level of the best hotels. Service for anything tends to be slow and inconsistent. For example, we ate breakfast in the hotel every morning, and sometimes coffee came in a pot, sometimes just a cup and we'd have to wave again and again to catch a waiter for a refill. We ordered room service only once, and I was cut off the first time, called back and was put on hold, and after about 5 minutes was able to order; however, they still ended up getting the order slightly wrong; and finally, we called to have the table removed, but after two hours no one showed up so we went to sleep and called back again in the morning after moving the table into the hallway; and even then, 30 minutes later when I last checked, the table was still sitting forlorn in the hallway. Again, for a luxury hotel that charges the rates they do, I would expect much more.

The lobby is always crowded, but can be a zoo during check in and check out times (it is too small a space for the peak traffic), and wait times for the elevators can be annoying.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but I would not choose to stay here again. Come for the afternoon tea, yes, and gawk at the beautiful property, but there are superior choices in the same price range to stay, and good choices even in lower price categories.

Room Tip: Many people want a park view, but check carefully, as even the park suite only has a partial view of...
4 Thank Kevin Y
Dear Kevin Y,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While you enjoyed your overall stay, I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't exceed your expectations. I'd like to take this opportunity to assure you that I have shared your post with our Director of Food & Beverage in order to facilitate further review. Thank you, again, for your comments.