“Check in over an hour late?!”
Review of The Plaza

The Plaza
Ranked #102 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Overall good experience: two issues prevented from being great. Room was not ready at scheduled time, was over an hour late! A hotel of this caliber shouldnt have this issue. A/C was controlled remotely

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Gabriel C
There are newer reviews for The Plaza

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had stayed at this hotel before but it has changed a lot for better. Especially the food alley created below basement was wooow. Congrats.The rooms are very spacious and very highly decorated.
The business center is really professional

Room Tip: Value for money. Really exclusive.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear ErdenBilginer,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you are pleased with the recent renovations and refurbishments at The Plaza, in particular the Todd English Food Hall and The Plaza Food Hall. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New York City.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My room was huge, the decor old-fashioned elegance (you'll want to move into the bathroom! A gold-plated fantasy!). Best sound-proofing of any hotel I've stayed at in years. Great bell staff, but the front desk guy wouldn't speak loudly enough to be heard (I have normal hearing), and it was hard to know when things would cost something, like the Butler service. And no in-room coffee machine, I was afraid to ask for one in case it cost.

The decor is a throw-back to 19th Century, but lovely. I hope they keep it instead of replacing it with particle-board Modernity.

Not a place to make friends, but a lovely oasis in the middle of the city.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I brought my daughter-in-law for a "girls shopping weekend." Since I get to the city often, and she had never been, I knew I wanted to make her trip truly memorable. Choosing what shows to see and what restaurants to eat at was tough; choosing what hotel to stay at was not. There is no other place to stay when visiting NYC than The Plaza Hotel. The level of courteous and professional service, attention to details, location, amenities, high tea service and beautiful décor throughout the hotel is unmatched anywhere. I booked the two bedroom suite and my daughter-in-law was simply blown away. So was I. As usual...

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank mybeezer

Dear mybeezer,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you were delighted with your stay and we hope you will return for another girls shopping weekend soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We picked the Plaza for a once in a lifetime trip with my stepdaughter and niece to celebrate my stepdaughers 16th birthday. When we arrived we had to help unload our bags and I thought for a good few minutes we would have to cart our own bags in as the one bellman outside was giving directions. Where was the grandeur of the Plaza? Is the red carpet leading to the front doors the original? I'm assuming there is history there and that is why it is so stained and in very much need of replacing. That just took a lot away from the initial impression. Reminds me of some of the hotels on Bourbon Street, seriously. The entry is of course beautiful when you get inside but at no point during the walk in or the check in did I gasp and say "oh this is so worth the hefty price". The room was nice nothing again to gasp about. I loved the bathroom though. That was quite unique. I do want to complain about the lack of a coffee pot in the rooms. Keurig where are you?!? They do not open the restaurant until 6:30am. Room service coffee was $25. I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. Thats 9 grande americanos at Starbucks. They did not have any coffee in the lobby for the early birds and the closest was a grocer a good walk away. So if you are an early bird like me, prepare yourself for the caffeine headache to sink in if you are not wanting the walk or the insane room service cost. The room service itself is good (expensive but good). Odd they have more breakfast options in the room than in the champagne bar. Service in the champagne bar is s-l-o-w. Both for breakfast and for drinks in the evening. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have to wave you down after sitting for 15 mins for coffee and then have to wave you down to help out the guy sitting at the table next to me so he can get some coffee especially if you are going to charge me 9 for the coffee, and 10 for an orange juice. If you charge the prices, bring the service!

The concierge and front desk are helpful but again not over the top to what I was expecting. The turn down service is nice. I've stayed at places that bring milk and cookies or a nice calming tea during the evening. I guess this is what I was expecting, the grandeur of the plaza. They gave us water which was ok (but I'm sorry, average). I guess they were too busy over the weekend for turn down service because we didn't get it those nights.

Overall, I was just sadly disappointed. This is the Plaza. One of the most famous hotels in the world. I wanted to be swept away with the room and most of all the service but was left with the feeling of average. While I can check it off the bucket list, I won't stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank sabrusley

Dear sabrusley,

Thank you for your post. Your feedback is not the norm, and we are sorry to learn that your stay did not exceed your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to mention that coffee makers can be delivered to your room upon request, and we would be happy to provide you with one if you decide to stay with us again. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The plaza is at top location opposite of apple store near central park. The hotel is fully refurbished in traditional way and looks fantastic.
So you have the classis atmosfer without its inconveniences.

The city view that was sold to is was a bit disappointing. It was more like an office view. Despite the fact we were on 14 floor we had no city view and looked straight into offices. It seems only suites have view on central park. We had a deluxe.

We only had some room service but the onion soup I had was very good.

For location and new york we had a good price value. Where mandorin oriental has by far the better view it is way more expensive and over the hill. So that is a trade off value over view.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Plaza years ago and we wanted our children (12, 13) to experience this beautiful, iconic hotel during our recent family vacation to NYC. We stayed at the Plaza for one night. The staff was great, allowing us an early check-in (1:30 pm) into our room. The aesthetics of the hotel are simply beautiful. From the entry to the check-in to the Palm Court to the elevators to the hotel room itself. Really gorgeous. Unfortunately, after entering our room, we learned (after my daughter removed her shoes) that the carpet was soaking wet near the entrance to the room. The wetness covered about a 5' x 5' area. We also found that the fixture in the shower was visibly broken and had not been repaired. I called the front desk and maintenance promptly came to the room. The gentleman from maintenance told me that the wet carpet was due to a leak caused by a clog in the air conditioning drain which "has been a problem." Because we were getting ready for dinner, I was told by the Manager On Duty (Nick) that someone would come to fix the shower while we were out and that the carpet would be dried. We returned from our meal and neither the shower fixture had been repaired, nor had the carpet been dried. At this point, I was quite upset. We were heading out again to see Times Square at night and Nick again promised that the repairs would be completed. We returned and the shower fixture had been repaired but the carpet remained soaking wet. There was no message left or follow up by the hotel. At this point, we simply went to sleep. The Plaza did discount my stay. I guess I just expected (and expect) more from this hotel. This would have been a five star rating but for this terrible customer service experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank alamocityattorney
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear alamocityattorney,

Thank you for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor, and we sincerely apologize that this issue was not resolved during your stay. It was certainly out of the norm and is in no way indicative of the luxury and service guests can expect from our hotel. We hope that you will give us a second chance and return with your family in the future. Thank you again for your post.