“Great unique food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Black Ant

The Black Ant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Black Ant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,089 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: East Village
“Great unique food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2014 via mobile

I came here with my family on labor day. We made a reservation since there were 8 of us, and it was kind of last minute, but they had room for us at 5:45. We all can't wait to go back! The food was excellent. You won't get a regular old burrito at this place. We ordered the grasshoppers just to try it and it was surprisingly good. They came chopped up in a sauce, so to me, they seemed like flavored crunchy noodles. We also got the ceviche and a whole bunch of the $8 appetizers. The pork belly and chorizo appetizer was one of the favorites. I had the suckling pig entree which was perfectly fatty and tender and came with a couple of delicious pork rinds. My husband got the rabbit enchiladas and my sister got the short ribs. I don't remember what everyone else got, but everyone loved their food. It was all perfectly cooked and very flavorful and beautifully presented. The drinks are good and strong too. I agree with another reviewer that the place was a bit hot. They only just turned on the air before we got there and it never got very cool. Service was a bit slow but not anything crazy, so we didn't mind, and our waitress was very friendly. Overall an excellent experience and a fantastic new restaurant. Also nice that there's a small bench in one of the bathrooms that can be used as a little changing table (for those with babies).

• Visited September 2014

New York City, New York
“Great Mexican in the East Village”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a great experience at Black Ant during a recent weekend Brunch. The restaurant has a cool / trendy decor and provides a fun atmosphere with constant upbeat music. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, taking time to explain each dish (they are somewhat unique) and also remade one dish with no problem.

The food was generally great:
- guac was smaller dish than expected for the price, but fresh and flavorful
- fish tacos were amazing; likely some of the best fish tacos in the city
- lobster eggs was delicious, but took two tries as first time received, the eggs were too hard boiled.

We also had a pitcher of prickly pear margarita - fantastic; well balanced sweet, tart and strong.

While a bit pricey, absolutely recommend this restaurant. Would have given it 5 stars if the egg dish cam out right the first time.

• Visited August 2014
New York City, New York
“Very interesting food & fantastic cocktails.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Bartender was so nice & helped us pick out some so/so adventerous items. I was too nervous to get the grasshoppers BUT I had the cod cheek & goat tacos and the black ant guacamole. Very complex and delicious food. The guac was some of the best I have ever had. Prickly Pear margarita was good and STRONG. I had two and was very buzzed up. I'm sure this will become a hot spot in NYC.

• Visited August 2014
Minneapolis, MN
“Awesome Cocktails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

If you're in East Village- this is worth the stop to try some tequila-craft cocktails. A bit hot inside but very nice decor, staff. Next visit I'll plan on enjoying their food.

Visited July 2014