“Perfect location if you need a hotel near area hospitals”

New York Presbyterian Guest Facility
New York
“Perfect location if you need a hotel near area hospitals”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

just returned from a two night stay at the Helmsley Medical Tower(NY Presbyterian). The area is safe and has several restaurants in the area. most of the people in the area are either patients or medical people since there are several hospitals in the immediate area. Sloan, which is where we were headed, was 2 blocks south, an easy walk. A grocery store is 2blocks in a different direction, everything is nearby and convenient. Hotel staff are quite nice and the garage is right beneath the hotel which was great. Do not hesitate to stay here, the rooms are very clean, everything was just fine, it was so NYC with the police sirens and ambulance sirens going for most of the day. the real NY experience. (although we grew up in NYC we now live an hour north so it brought back childhood memories). we actually stayed in two different rooms because we were only to stay the one night and had checked out but then needed to stay an extra night so we are able to comment on two different rooms. Both were nice and clean. Nice kitchen too with full size fridge and gas stove, plates, cutlery, glasses.

Room Tip: Front room was best
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank RDX2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Corona, California
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My cousin was admitted to New York Presbyterian Hospital so l stayed here for three nights from a recommendation from a friend. At the time I was coming, all the hotels around Manhattan were going for around $600-$700 a night because of the universities having graduations. I paid $290 including all taxes for a one bedroom "apartment". It was large with a full kitchen, a real deal considering the location. I was in room 1112 facing York Ave. It isn't a luxury hotel, but it is clean and well kept.The facility offers discounts and deliveries to a few restaurants in the area but more choices are 2 blocks west on 1st Ave. The front desk is very accomadating and always friendly. I would stay here again next time I'm in New York.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank ghorita
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I chose this hotel , after looking at many others, because it was the closest to Memorial Sloan- Kettering Hospital, where my husband was having surgery.The daily rate for a studio room was $235 total, which I thought was a bit high, but the convenient location- only 2 blocks away, decided it for me. We were there for 8 nights and I never had any fear of walking in that neighborhood. The room had 2 double beds, a desk and chair, free wi-fi, and a nice kitchenette, with a full sized refrigerator, a small gas stove and oven, and a microwave, and all the necessary dishes for 4. There was also daily maid service and a big laundry area in the basement. It was very quiet both during the day and at night. There are two cafes, a mini-mart and a pharmacy right on the same street and just a block away are many small restaurants, a grocery store, and other shops. This was our first stay in New York City and we were very pleasantly surprised at how safe, friendly and convenient everything was.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank CruisingSue
Ocean, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We chose this hotel mainly due to its proximity to New York Presbyterian hospital (across the street).

Our “junior suite” was about the size of a standard hotel room (outside of the city) and included a king bed and fold out couch, a small kitchen and single bathroom. There was also free wifi. The kitchen included some basics for cooking and would have been helpful for someone who was staying there for any length of time. The hotel itself almost felt a bit more like a dorm.

We were surprised by how quiet our room was especially considering we had the window open all night.

There isn’t a restaurant in the hotel but there are a few within close walking distance and also a small convenience store/deli just down the block.

The people at the front desk were very helpful in recommending places to eat in the area. They were also able to hold our luggage on the day we checked out so we didn’t have to carry it around the hospital.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank jordgubben42
Connecticut
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed at the New York-Presbyterian Guest Facility (aka Helmsley Tower) on two visits to New York for appointments at Memorial Sloan-Kettering, which is only a block away. The rooms we stayed in had kitchenettes that were fairly well equipped for lengthy stays, including a real refrigerator and a small gas stove. We had to call the desk about a gas smell in one room; a housekeeper came up immediately and found that none of the stove’s burners worked, so we were offered another room. Fast, pleasant service. All the rooms were clean, the bathrooms nicely tiled in marble and reasonably spacious. Water from the kitchen faucet tasted OK after it ran for a while. One personal criticism I have is that the rooms in which we stayed were overheated and two of the three had damaged knobs on the heating units---possibly from other visitors trying to lower the heat? I ended up turning the heater off and opening the window several times to let in the flurrying February air---not my first choice for regulating room temperature. This would not have been so much of a problem except for the fact that the rooms have the kind of beds with mattresses that, while comfortably firm, also tend to reflect rather than dissipate body heat. My wife and I always find this type of mattress uncomfortable to sleep on, though I expect that people sensitive to cold would find them more suitable. I have to complain about one of the restaurants recommended in the information folders in the rooms. On our first stay we ordered a pizza from Fratelli’s, a nearby place. The pizza was delivered quickly but it was one of the two worst pizzas I’ve ever eaten (the other “winner” was at a Best Western restaurant-bar in West Haven, CT). The pizza couldn’t have been more than 5 mm thick and the “toppings” looked like they’d been painted on; I suspect that whoever made it only understood the concept of pizza in an abstract sense. Frozen pizzas from a super market are far better, and New Yorkers should expect pizza better than that. When the hotel recommends only a few of the seemingly infinite number of Manhattan restaurants for in room delivery I expect that the places must be carefully chosen. We had better luck with breakfast at another recommended restaurant, but which we walked to, Café Luka on 1st Ave.. I joked with our waiter that one menu item said, “Bacon, Sausage, AND Ham,” which he admitted was wrong, “and” should have been “or.” When my breakfast came I did receive all three, which was a very nice touch. My only other reservation about recommending NY-Presbyterian is the price; even though good hotels in NYC are expensive anyway, $250 a night (all taxes included) is tough on our budget. For our recent visits though, convenience trumped cost, and in addition to its great location the hotel is admittedly very nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank HillYankee101
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here primarily based on location (proximity to hospitals) as well as its kitchenette. The rooms were otherwise no frills, but the bed was comfortable and had all amenities I could have wanted. Despite this being New York, I had no problems with street noise at night.

There are 24-hour fruit stands outside the hotel, across the street, for easy access to healthy food. Otherwise there are numerous grocery stores not too much further, either! The rooms were super cheap, only slightly discounted, but there was no tax and even Super Shuttle had an inherent discount if picking up and dropping off from this location.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Janet M
florida
Reviewed 7 January 2012

It is true that the staff at the desk is very, very busy but a little consideration for their situation goes a long way. I found them unfailingly helpful while they were multi-tasking reservations, by phone, arriving mail, calls from the rooms, special requests and arriving guests all at the same time. We are planning to stay here again this year and I recommend it highly to people who want good value and are not expecting a luxury hotel. The rooms are clean and the housekeeping staff very accomodating, the decor is on the plain side but not shabby and everything you need is provided except an adequate coffee pot. There is free high speed internet in the front lobby which has two computers.
t

Room Tip: There are junior suites with king sized beds facing York Avenue that are quite nice - my daughter an...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family