“Expensive but practical”

New York Presbyterian Guest Facility
Destin, Florida
“Expensive but practical”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Since we are here for medical purposes the location was top priority. The room, studio with mini kitchen, is clean, spacious and utilitarian. The set price of $250 a night is rather steep but I guess it's NY! Awful pillows and toiletries are a minimum. Small flat screen tv but no comfortable seats. Only table chairs and a chair you see in doctor offices. The Ac is lacking so glad we brought our own electric fan! It was $47 from LGA with a prearranged limos.com reservation. We go to see Jersey Boys on Wed pm. I will let. You know how much the cab is from here! We are headed out to find restaurants close by

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelismypassion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Owasco
Reviewed 8 July 2013

When you have to be near the Hospitals at NY Presbyterian, Special Surgery, Sloan Kettering, etc., or next door to Sotheby's or Mary Manning Nursing Home, there is no better solution than staying here, where you can chose between a one bedroom suite, a corner room, or a studio apartment, all with a fully equipped kitchen, and great service! The parking garage is underneath and served by the floor elevators, while shopping and dining in First Avenue is one block away and with plenty of choices.

Room Tip: No matter where your room is, it's always nice and quiet, but rooms on the west side have a city...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Neri M
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My wife and I have stayed here around two back surgeries that I had at The Hospital for Special Surgery. I rested easy knowing that her room was a short walk from the hospital, and was a pretty safe place. It isn't cheap, but what is in NY? I would recommend this place to anyone needing a place to stay during medical appointments at HSS or the other area medical facilities.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GWS154
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife actually looks forward to my next joint replacement surgeries (2 so far 2009 & 2011) and Most major medical procedures are stressful for the accompanying loved ones as well. NYP Guest facility (Helmsley) goes out of their way to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. She especially loves strolling around the neighborhoods where there are numerous wonderful restaurants and other attractions to take her mind off my procedures. BTW, Hospital for Special Surgery is the ONLY orthopedic hospital that consistently ranks number 1 in the world! A part of New York Presbyterian complex, HSS is next door to the Helmsley.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street (traffic) noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jack A
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I spent 12 nights here while my husband was inpatient at Sloan-Kettering for pancreatic cancer surgery. I had a corner suite room 1124, which was spacious and very nicely appointed for $270/night the weeks between St. Pat's and Easter, which was much more reasonable than area hotels (and includes a full kitchen.) The staff is top notch; unfailingly kind and polite and well aware that most of the guests are emotional and strung out. I can't praise them enough. When I forgot to extend my stay when my husband wasn't released when expected, an older gentleman at the front desk (I wish I'd gotten his name) went out of his way to make sure I didn't have to pack up and change rooms for my last 2 days, which I'd totally been prepared to do.

Rooms are maybe a little worn and not super stylish, but I was really only in it to sleep after 12-14 hour days at the hospital. Laundry facility in the basement. Only things you really need to bring is paper towels, food, and a sharp knife (not included in the room's utensils.) There are towels, plates, cups, glasses, bowls, silverware, a dishwasher, a microwave, a coffee maker. I saved a fortune eating in vs having to eat out or at a hotel. Parking discounted for hotel guests with copy of your bill. Someone always available at the front desk with issues or problems. WiFi is free but can get pretty slow. My fridge smelled horrible upon arrival but it was such a minor concern, I didn't complain and just got a box of baking soda to put in it. Great water pressure in shower, lots of closet space, windows opened to let fresh air in which was a huge bonus. My room had a great view of 71st St as well.

Housekeeping visits daily, so you get all the perks of a hotel plus all the perks of an apartment. A very unique property serving a very unique group of people. I'm grateful they were there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Beth B
Connecticut
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I'm so grateful for this facility! During the surgery of a family member, it was such a relief to not have to worry about travel to Cornell-Weill, parking, or high fees; I could focus all my time and energy on my family member. The room was very clean. The kitchen was fairly well appointed, and all of the kitchen appliances and amenities were very clean. The refrigerator was large enough for several days' worth of food. There was a large round table for dining. It wasn't a beautiful room, but I spent little time there, so it didn't matter -- the cleanliness and amenities were all that I cared about, and I was quite satisfied. The concierge was very helpful with information. The parking deck employees were efficient, and the parking was quite reasonable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank ConnecticutLocavore
Independence, Missouri
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We were in New York City for only 1 night for a medical consultation - and our first trip there. We got a cab at the airport which delivered us to the front door where we were checked in by a friendly clerk at the desk. There is a computer in the lobby with free printing where we were able to print our boarding passes for the next day's flight. We were on the 11th floor and our room (1118) had been redone with new cabinets, appliances and bath. There was a hair dryer and toiletries provided in the bathroom. There was also complimentary coffee and tea in the kitchen and two trays of ice in the frig. The room was very quiet, the only outside sound we heard was one siren. The rooms are very large with a kitchen which even included a small dishwasher. We had a very comfortable stay. The area is a safe one; we walked to a restaurant for dinner after dark. It was only a couple of blocks to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center for our appointment the next morning. I would highly recommend this hotel for people from out of town coming for medical treatment or consultations.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family