“Convenient to Hospitals”

New York Presbyterian Guest Facility
Reviewed 27 March 2010

My wife and I stayed here on March 25th as I had day surgery at NY Presbyt. Hospital and could not travel for another day. For patients or families who have to be near this hospital or Sloan-Kettering, the location cannot be beat. However, the hotel is only average in its amenities and level of comfort and we would prefer the Bentley down at York & 61st. St. which is a higher level of accomodation. Our room was comfortable though spartan. It was obviously not one of the redecorated rooms it has. The bed was hard though the pillows were good. Bathroom was just ok, towels were not in abundance. In-room coffee maker, kitchenette, and a safe were all plusses. Old type tv set was a minus. Carpet seemed old and worn. It is my impression that the whole place could use some refreshing. Price of $225/night was neither a bargain nor a ripoff. Lots of good restaurants further up on York Ave. and over on First Ave. in easy walking distance. 24hr. deli in building is also a plus.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Equity

Reviewed 21 October 2009

I felt discriminated. The front desk made check in very difficult. I was the first one to check in and when there was a problem they brushed me off to the side.
House keeping called and left a message that I was suppose to wash my own dishes. That was two weeks into the stay. They didn't have a problem for the first two weeks.
When I spoke to other hotel guest they said the housekeeping does their dishes.
The room was old and needed a renovation.
I tried to be nice, but in the end you have to be rude and mean just like them.
If you are out of town and not white, good luck!

Location is very good. Close the Hospital and subway. Nice places to eat. Some really helpful and nice people work there and some not so nice.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank aveda69
NYPGuestFacility, General Manager at New York Presbyterian Guest Facility, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2009

Dear Sir/Madam:

Your review of your stay at the Guest Facility was disheartening. I am sorry that you felt disrespected in any way.

While some housekeepers choose to do the guest's dishes, especially if their workload is not heavy, it is not a standard operating procedure of ours. At the same time, There are dishwashers in all rooms for our guest's convenience.

I also wanted to let you know that in July we did open a newly renovated floor with totally overhauled suites (The Sovereign Suites). We are in the planning stages of updating all of our rooms in the near future.

I would like to respond to you directly if possible concerning your stay. If you would like me to contact you, please message me with your contact information.

Ed Cleveland, GM

Reviewed 16 October 2009

We found this facility clean, and the front-desk and housekeeping staff very helpful. Booking is easy and efficient. The location is ideal for out-patients or relatives of patients at Sloan-Kettering, Columbia/Cornell hospitals. Several restaurants and stores are within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank emeraldisle45
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Having radiation twice a day and chemo required me to stay in NYC 4 nights a week. My son accommodated me 3 of those nights but we were in a studio and he on an aerobed. I arranged Thursday nights at the Helmsley my daughter coming by after work to help me out.. The first morning conceirge got me a room at 10:00 AM which was very gracious, I needed an early check in. That room had a lovely front view. Well until the sirens started and passed every 10 minutes. It is across the Street from NY Hospital and a couple of blocks from Memorial sloan Kettering. It was a very big studio, full kitchen and though needed some updating was very convenient. There is a deli on the corner, Chase bank next door and Duane Reade across the St. My second night I was in the back and it was not as attractive but ah so quiet. Last night I was upgraded to one of the renovated suites which had new carpets, bedding, kitchen and bath. Lovely! Can't beat it for $225 a night! They will also allow you to leave your luggage before and after check in and out.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank surviv0r
Reviewed 26 February 2009

The location of this residence to MSK was important for us. The kind staff , both front desk and housekeeping have been mentioned in other reviews and I can confirm that they make you feel cared for the entire stay and we were there one week. The bath and kitchinette are updated, the furniture and carpeting are a bit beat, but again the price is reasonable.
We flew in a day before my surgery and the neighborhoods within two blocks offer all you need , movies, cafes.
This is the place I would recommend for a hospital visit to NYC.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leformi
Reviewed 27 October 2008

After reading a very negataive review, I didn't know what to expect -- perhaps my expectations were very low. But if I needed to stay in the upper east side of NYC -- for only $230/nt ($7 to rent cable modem/nt), I would stay there.

We had 2 comfortable King beds, perhaps a little too soft, a kitchenette that included large refrigerator, microwave oven, toaster oven, stove, oven, dishwasher, dishes, silverware. There was a round table to eat at, a tv, I think there was a blow dryer. The water ran clear. I didn't have the problem that the other reviewer indicated.

The location was perfect. 3 blocks from Sloan Kettering. While my husband slept, I walked along the East River and sat on the benches reading my magazine.

There are tons of restaurants on 1st Ave. I brought the leftovers back to the room.

The staff was all very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank RonniLynn
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I needed to come to New York for specialized surgery. It was "same-day" surgery, but post surgical instructions stated that I needed to remain in the city for a week. Since neither my husband nor I have friends or family in New York, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital recommended the Helmsley Medical Tower.
The Medical Tower houses medical interns and residents, but has reserved a few floors for outpatients and family members who wish to stay near a hospitalized loved one.
Please note that this is not a vacation-type hotel. The rates are very reasonable, made possible by keeping the amenities simple. Our room was clean and neat, but not fancy. The hallways, and to some extent, the rooms, are a little dreary, but it appears the entire facility is undergoing a systematic makeover. For example, our little kitchenette has new marble countertops and a new deep sink. But the rugs (hallway and rooms) are worn and need to be replaced.
The hotel staff is fabulous. 24 hr concierge and maid service were always helpful and kind, as they acted more like concerned family rather than paid hotel staff. Concierge Jonathan seems to care for each person in a way that would just melt your heart. Unlike most NY hotels, everyone here is used to nervous patients and stressed family members.
My husband and I have enjoyed luxurious hotels around the world. The Helmsley Medical Tower is not that type of hotel. If I needed to return to New York City as an outpatient, I would not hesitate to stay here. This hotel is specifically designed for people who, for whatever reason, need to be close to NYC health care system. And for that, it gets the job done.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank weji13