“Great Location--Unresponsive Staff”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown
Ranked #255 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I stayed in the Best Western Seaport Inn with my husband and daughter over Labor Day weekend 2010, as we were moving our daughter into an apartment in Brooklyn. Although the location of this place is fabulous, with great restaurants and shopping, and although the hotel seems clean and with updated furnishings, our experience of staying there alternated between laughable and hair raising. At breakfast the first morning, the fire alarm went off, followed in short order by the arrival of New York's finest--a full complement of hook and ladder trucks and firefighters. Never got the whole story (the front desk staff was uncommunicative at best), but it seemed to be a fire involving the elevator system. For the remainder of our stay, the elevators were out of order--good thing our room was only on the third floor!! The only explaination we received was a sign posted on the doors of the elevator. And about that room--clean enough (or so we thought) although very dark owing to a lovely view of a ventilation shaft--we encountered additional occupants in the form of...yes...bedbugs We think they were living in the sleeper sofa, as we did not find any evidence on or in the bed. Maybe just a matter of time though...when I mentioned this discovery discreetly to the front desk staff, I received a blank stare. No apology, no "we'll check it out right away", no offer to move us to another room. I asked about an extermination policy and was told that Housekeeping would be notified. We did not unknowingly carry bugs home with us or to our daughter's apartment, (we checked pretty thoroughly, believe me) so it was probably a fairly minor infestation at that time.

I actually hesitated to write this negative review, because I really wanted to like this hotel. It is in a wonderful part of lower Manhattan, really close to the Brooklyn Bridge, with lots of character, great bars and restaurants, and fairly good if expensive parking. We certainly were there on a difficult weekend, with the fire and the inoperative elevators ( and--ahem--little visitors) and I get that sometimes these things just happen. What was really inexcusable was the attitude of the front desk staff--they seemed completely clueless as to the impact that these inconveniences might have on their guests. This is the antithesis of hospitality--which is what hotels are supposed to be about, right?

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Seaporthotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Dear KCtraveler21,

First and foremost we want to thank you for letting us know about your stay. If our guests do not communicate to us then we have no way of reacting to concerns and or problems. I want to ensure you that we have done a complete investigation on your room with our outside exterminating service and no evidence of any bugs were found. We take this very seriously and we spend considerable time and money in training and preventing this from
happening. The comments about the staff not providing you with proper and exceptional service is not acceptable and certainly not our normal way of doing business. We have shared your review with out team and continue to train to exceed our guest expectations. Thankfully there was no injury in the elevator fire and all services are restored, we thank you for your patience. I hope that with your daughter living close by you will give us another chance to WOW you with our service. Please contact me directly to make any future accommodations.

There are newer reviews for BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown

Reviewed 12 October 2010

Nice Clean rooms, very close to the water, Brooklyn Bridge and transportation. Just across the street from several good restaurants that the staff had recommended. Only grip was the continental breakfast was a litte skimpy, and when I asked about more supplies the attendant said they were out. When I pointed out it was just now 10am the cutoff time, she begrudgingly brought out more bagels.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SOInnKeeper
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Nice hotel for a friends' weekend getaway to New York. Plenty of restaurants and bars around the Seaport nearby for everyone's tastes, and easy to reach through the FDR Drive for people coming in by car.
Only problem was the television set that stopped working on our last night in town, but maintenance was in our room quickly and did everything possible to fix the problem, but to no avail. Can't really blame the hotel for the television set for breaking though.
While New York remains one of the most expensive destinations to visit, this hotel's price was competitive for the area and star rating.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patrick059
Reviewed 12 October 2010

There was a bit of a hiccup with our room when we arrived - we had requested two queens and I'd called in the morning to ensure they wouldn't give away our room as I knew we'd arrive late -- well, they gave away our room :( So, the first night I slept on a pull-out couch which was not comfortable. This was on the fifth floor and there was a bit of noise above us as the sixth floor has a terrace and people were moving furniture at one in the morning. The next day, Sue and the other girl on the check-out desk got us a new room on the 4th floor and arranged to have our luggage moved there. From there on it was smooth sailing. Staff really went out of their way to make us comfortable. On our last day, we had a bit of time before our train, so they held our luggage (for free) while we enjoyed the Seaport. The weather was beautiful, and the area is fantastic. Nobody else mentioned this in their review but these rooms are HUGE for New York. Yes, the rooms are regular size for other cities, but HUGE for New York. And clean, which is a necessity.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank citygirl020
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This was the perfect hotel for us to stay in. We had clean, comfortable lodging and were able to walk to Battery Park (to catch the ferry to Statue of Liberty) and to the World Trade Center. There is a 1/2 price ticket booth just 1-2 blocks away from our hotel and the Seaport area is great to get dinner with views of the river/Brooklyn Bridge.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank DianeSteveBoston
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I've been wanting to visit NYC ever since I was a kid, and I finally got to do it this september. I decided to book the South Street Seaport Inn, since it was close to the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, which I admire, and wanted to walk.

I got into NYC on an early flight, arriving at my hotel a little before 9 am. Since it was so early, they could not check me in yet, but offered to hold my bags for me until check in time later in the day. At the desk, I asked about a request I had made some time earlier- that my terrace room be facing the Brooklyn Bridge. The lady at the desk wasn't sure if she could do it, saying that they had a wedding the same day. I didn't say anything, but inwardly I was thinking "Oh no..So much for my bridge view! Single me has no chance against a wedding party!"
I didn't get upset though- not the hotel's fault that a bridge fan and a wedding party rolled into town on the same day.

Later that day I returned to check in, and my room still wasn't ready yet. Again, I didn't get upset, these things happen, and the place was pretty busy. After a bit of a wait, they called me over to the desk, saying that they had a really nice room for me, that it would be worth waiting for.
Was it ever!
They gave me one of the corner terrace rooms! It overlooked not only the Brooklyn Bridge, but downtown Manhattan. The terrace was huge, and the views were spectacular!

One thing I really liked was the free wi-fi all through the hotel, which was great. I could keep up with my emails in the privacy of my own room, and even use skype to video chat with folks at home.
The free continental breakfast was great too, with lots of goodies offered.

Overall, I had a great time at this hotel, and would gladly go back. The neighborhood felt safe at all hours, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is lovely- I had no complaint to make of cleanliness or repair. I would gladly reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank LadyAmanita
Seaporthotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2010

Dear LadyAmanita,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate when guests let us know how we are doing. I do apologize that you had to wait to get into your room but we always do our very best to provide accommodation as soon as possible. It is challenging to accommodate early check in requests because most guests arriving to New York City are looking for early check in, especially wedding parties that need to get ready in time. We are very pleased that we were able to give you one of our corner rooms with a great view of the Brooklyn bridge and east river. I would agree these rooms are worth the wait. We hope to see you again soon!

Thank you.

Reviewed 29 September 2010

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room I found to be very clean and well decorated. The bed was comfortable and we heard no noise at all.Husband and I were going to a wedding and the hotel staff let us check in super early which was an enormous help to us. Parking lot is close by and costs $25/day. A little steep, but afterall its New York City! The location is great if you want to visit the seaport and its attractions.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Seaporthotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2010

Dear Amyd1972,

Thank you for your feed back. We appreciate when guests take their time to let us know how were are doing. Our location is ideal when you drive into the City. Even though the price may seem high we are very competitive with the other hotels in our market and usually considerably lower then midtown Manhattan hotels who do not have great access to the FDR drive and the Brooklyn bridge. We hope to see you again soon.