“How did I not know about this hotel?”

Night Theater District
Ranked #249 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 November 2011

What a great hotel… Never before have I stayed in a fun, hip, themed boutique hotel with such a personable, friendly, and proficient staff. The vibe is fantastic- very cool décor and monochromatic furniture paired with suggestive photographic art- such a welcome counterbalance to the giant neighboring mega-hotels in Times Square. Whatever tier of management is “setting the tone” with this property, is doing a stellar job. Everyone from the doorman to the front desk staff to housekeeping seemed genuinely happy to see you at the hotel. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard N
Chotel321, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2011

Dear Richard N,

Thank you so much for your kind review!

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and have forwarded your wonderful comments to the entire team. This is certainly a great source of motivation to us all.

Please feel free to contact me at mwahnish@nighthotelny.com so I may assist you.

We are all looking forward to your next visit at Night!

Front Office Supervisor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,197)

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We booked the Duplex Penthouse Suite with the previous General Manager and originally planned to stay for 11 nights but we extended our trip, and stayed for 16 nights instead.

Evening 1
Arrived at 12:30am to the suite which had not been made up. I arrived to DIRTY sheets, curtains that wouldn't close, no shower gel, no snacks at the mini bar, no complimentary bottled water, the bathroom tiles had grout all over them, chips in the furniture, patches of paint peeling from the walls, stains on the carpeting and scratches on the floor.

I called down to reception and asked for help, and an older man (I think his name was Dickson) was sent up. He giggled and told me that he wasn't going to change any sheets and that he didn't even know how. He also told me that he couldn't help me close the curtains.

The person at the front desk (I think his name was Raymond) then came up with some sheets and changed them himself. When he left, I realised that he had not brought a duvet cover. I was too tired to call down again, so that night I slept without one, getting woken up every now and again from the incredible noise that the air-conditioning makes.

Day 2
I woke up feeling hungry and having no snacks in the room, I called down to ask if there was any room service available. The person told me "no" and that I could go across the road and get myself some breakfast at the Cranberry Deli. I later found out that there IS room service, just not at the time that I had asked. I also asked again for the curtains to be closed.

Day 3
The bathroom skylight started to leak. I called reception (again) to tell them about it, as well as to ask for the curtains to be closed (for the 3rd time) as there is a gym in the next block that looks straight in at the bed and the wardrobe area. There was also still no shower gel and the towels looked old and some were frayed.

The skylight was fixed promptly, and the curtains finally got fixed, thanks to Michelle from Front Office, watching over it all. And therein lies the Night(mare) hotel's only saving grace. The staff ARE friendly and they DO try to help. But that's it. They can only "try". I spoke to the General Manager, Karla [--] and got some apologies and was offered a couple of hundred bucks off the rate I was originally quoted for those first 2 nights, free internet for more than the normal 1 device and some complimentary snacks, drinks and gym passes.

Day 4
My husband arrived to join me. I had informed Raymond on my arrival that my husband would be joining me on the 20th and that I would like for him to be registered as a guest. This was not done and when my husband arrived, the person at reception, Jonathan, was objectionable and didn't even offer to have someone help him with his bags. Not wanting to deal with this treatment, my husband decided to carry his large bag up the stairs himself.

My husband also called down to ask for a DVD player before we went out for the day, as it was stated in the guestbook that they were available on request. When we got back to the room, there was a DVD player, just left by the TV, not connected. So, we had to call down to ask for someone to come and connect it. And after it was connected, we couldn't watch any TV; only DVDs.

This type of service continued for the rest of the trip:

- the bartender at the bar gave me a bucket of ice and a bottle of wine, to bring up myself, when I ordered it for the room. I carried it to the lift then returned to tell him it was too cold and heavy for me to bring up myself.

- another bartender had to refer to a piece of paper to figure out how to make the drinks on the menu. And when we got those drinks, they were terrible and not drinkable.

- the bedroom slippers are sized small. My husband had to walk around the room in socks as the slippers were too small.

- the reception button on the phone stopped working, and when we went down to tell the Front Desk that it wasn't working, we were told that we should've dialed "0" - as if it was a well known fact.

- then the message button on the phone also didn't work, so we couldn't retrieve any messages from the phone.

- when we extended our stay, we checked with Lewis at reception if our room would be available for the rest of our stay and he said "yes". We proceeded to change our flight, paying extra to make the changes, and when we informed the front desk that we were confirming the extension, we were told that the room was not available. We managed to stay a few extra days, thanks to the intervention of the General Manager, then we left for the Waldorf.

When a service-based establishment cuts corners, it is always obvious to the customer, as they are the ones who are left with a bad experience and inconvenience. The Night hotel needs to invest more in both the hotel and their staff. There are some good employees like, Patrick, Michelle, the maintenance guy who came to fix the leak, etc. But if there is always a high turnover of staff, particularly at the senior (GM) level, there won't be any follow through with systems and processes. And that's when the ball gets dropped.

In a conversation with one of the staff, this is what I said, "Don't apologise. I'm tired of hearing "I'm sorry". Saying "sorry" doesn't change the fact that I'm the one that's being inconvenienced. You need to fix this; not just say sorry and leave me to fix a mistake made by one of YOUR staff."

Coming from a long-ish stay guest in their Penthouse Suite, I think I can safely say that I doubt we'll return.

Room Tip: Don't!
2  Thank Rachelepoh
Chotel321, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Dear Rachel P,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

On behalf of the entire team at Night, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us.

I do recall these matters being brought to our attention and our team did try our very best to rectify these issues. In regards to service, however, rest assured this will not be tolerated. We have already taken the appropriate measures to ensure such incidents do not recur, and staff retraining and refurbishment to the duplex suite has taken place.

We are all here to deliver complete guest satisfaction and we are sorry that this time, this unfortunately was not, completely achieved.

Corrective actions will be in place on your next visit in hopes you will give us a second chance.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

It's a really stylish hotel, but I hated my stay. For a hotel named "Night" it was really weird that the room service didn't work at... NIGHT.

There's nothing offered as a courtesy (some other NY hotels do this), and I paid an absurd account of $ 193 for international calls which together numbered not half hours, and when I complained the clerk told me that they warn guests that they should use a phone card if you do not want to pay this...And no, I was not warned about it.

The elevator always takes too long to arrive, and I hired a wi-fi service to my room that just did not work.

It is a really stylish hotel, but it turned into a nightmare.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Beatriz M,

Thank you for providing us with feedback concerning your time at Night.

Please accept my apologies if your stay with us was not what you expected, including the incident with the phone calls as well as the elevator. Unfortunately, being a small boutique property, we do only have one elevator which may take longer to arrive during busy hours of the day. In regards to the phone, I have spoken with the Front Desk Agents to remind them that ensuring our guest satisfaction is number one.

I hope you will give us a second chance to restore your hopes in our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at mwahnish@nighthotelny.com so I may assist you.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

I really recommend this hotel. I stayed 2 nights and I had a really great time.
The personnel are really helpful and welcoming.
The room was very nice and clean as it is on the pictures of the web site.
It's on a great location, just a min walking distance from times square!! So it's perfect if you are on vacation or even on business that you don't have so much time to enjoy NY because fun it's right next to you!
I will definitely go back to this hotel on my next trip to NY!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Steph97180

Dear Steph97180,

I am very glad to hear you were happy with your stay at Night.

We all strive to make our guests' experiences unforgettable and reviews such as yours are what keep us motivated!

Please do not hesitate to contact me at mwahnish@nighthotelny.com so I may assist you with your next reservation.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed at the Night Hotel for 10 nights in October 2011 and loved every minute!! The hotel is very modern and uniquely different to any hotel I have stayed at in the past. Close to everything, which made our first trip to New York so much more enjoyable and easier. The location is so convenient! All the staff were excellent, particularly Daniela, who bent over backwards to organise various tickets for us. She was amazing! Beds very comfortable. The mini-bar situation I agree was a little odd, but doesnt detract from the overall experience. I highly reccommend, and would definitely stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sophie S

Dear Sophie S,

On behalf of the team at Night I would like to thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I am thrilled that our team, in particular Daniela, were able to exceed your expectations and compliment your time in NYC.

I hope you will contact me for any future reservations at mwahnish@nighthotelny.com

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Very cool mid-town setting with an upscale design at affordable prices. We recently stayed at the Night Hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The room prices are very reasonable considering the product: on the small side but nicely appointed with very comfortable beds. The service is always friendly, efficient and helpful. As for location, proximity to Times Square can be interesting. The only downside: industrial strength heating/cooling systems in the rooms can be very noisy. Otherwise it's a perfect spot for a short business trip in the center of the city, or for a long weekend near the theater district.

Stayed October 2011

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors facing away from the street are quieter
3  Thank RowanBenecke

Dear RowanBenecke,

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Night, including the location, friendly staff and comfortable guest rooms.

I do apologize if the air conditioning was a bit noisy, we are taking steps to rectify this as soon as possible.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at mwahnish@nighthotelny.com so I may assist you with your next trip to NYC.

Reviewed 30 October 2011

2 Aussies travelling to NYC and I researched this funky hotel thoroughly before we left. I am a travel agent in Australia so was also looking to recommend it to my clients. I would say the staff are great, friendly and bent over backwards to help with anything from directions to Grid Iron football tickets. Thanks to Patrick, Daniele and Diana for being very helpful and attentive.

The rooms are great, not too dark (as some reviewers mentioned previously), I was almost not expecting windows! But sure enough, there was natural light to be had albeit without a view, but this wasn't expected in NY anyway. Sure the rooms weren't massive, but that's not expected in NY either.

I will say that the hotel was a little pricey, but the location brilliant. Just 1 block and you're standing in Times Square. The hotel is a great base to explore NYC, close to subway, shopping, major sights, Broadway and 2 great little Deli cafes across the road for breakfast or late night munches. The WiFi really should be included though, the a/c a little loud and not being able to use the mini bar fridge is a bit odd also. But the shower was big and the decor and entertainment systems great.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to my clients when booking them from Australia. A clean, classy, friendly and well located hotel.

1  Thank Danielle K

Dear Danielle K,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Night!

I'm glad to hear that your stay with us exceeded your expectations and you were able to take advantage of our central location in Times Square. I have shared your comments with the team, in particular Daniela, Diana and Patrick and have praised them for their work.

Please feel free to contact me personally at mwahnish@nighthotelny.com so I may assist you with your next reservation.

Looking forward to hearing from you.