“Sticks to the theme, but that's about it”

Night Theater District
Ranked #246 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Sticks to the theme, but that's about it”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked a room on the back of positive reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel looks like a nightclub inside, which wasn't to my taste, but to be fair that's the theme. As a result the rooms are very dark (decor is mostly black).

All of this is understandable, but the rooms are also tiny and ours smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke. This being New York, opening the windows is not an option, and so we were stuck with this awful smell for a night. The front desk staff were rather terse and unhelpful. The restaurant/bar outside area was right below our room and the noise from revellers continued until around 2am.

In the end we checked out after only one night and went to a more airy, spacious and bright hotel. I can't understand why this hotel has such a high rating.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Maringly M, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear AndrewvanB, I am sorry to hear your stay was not what you expected. We are a non-smoking propery but I think you were in a room right above our smoking patio which is the only place in our hotel that smoking is permitted. I apologize about the inconveniences you faced during your stay. We would like you to give us another oportunity to make up for the things that were not to your liking.

mmorrobel@nighthotelny.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I just stayed at Night NY... and had a blast. First off perfect location. Its right around the corner from all the sites (Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park).

I was 1/2 a block from my Broadway show (Once).

The hotel reminded me I was in the streets of Barcelona's Gothic Quarter.

Its dark, its sexy... and its BOLD. I will leave NYC talking about this hotel FOREVER.

The staff was friendly and courteous. I wish they had a morning place to dine, but the Front Desk pointed me out to several places within minutes of their front door.

I booked a Full bedded room without realizing it and the Front Desk upgraded us to a Queen (thank goodness, otherwise my boyfriend would not have bee happy with me)

PS I am a huge starbucks girl- and it was literally like 100 ft away. (im not brave enough for NYC Street Cart coffee).

I did eat at the hotel.... I had some Salmon rolls at Red Moon (their lounge/ restaurant) OMG they were delish, fresh, and oh soooooo yummy.

I wish I had been there longer than 3 days. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Hotel doesn't have rooms with 2 beds. So if you go with a buddy or mom, make sure you know to bo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Maringly M, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Liddy M, thank you for your detailed and positive review. We are thrilled to know your experience was great and you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to have you back in the future. Please contact us directly for any future reservation and we will take good care of you.

Cinnaminson, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I made a reservation at this hotel and had to cancel, but there was no way to contact the property! Their phone lines did not connect, were busy, or no one answered for the past 3 days. I tried sending an e-mail but got back a message that the mailbox was full. When I I called the Wyndam main number, they also had some difficulty locating my reservation but were finally able to process the cancellation. Personally, I will not deal with any company in which you cannot speak to a live person. I did not stay there and never intend to re-book this visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dmb187
Maringly M, Front Office Manager at Night Theater District, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear dmb187, we apologize for the inconveniences when you tried to contact us. Our phone lines are experiencing some issues and not all the calls are coming through. Verizon is currently working on this issue and we also posted information on our Facebook page. I hope you can give us another chance in the future; we will make sure your stay meet your expectations from the beginning.

Keflavik, Iceland
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was here for 3 nights and we where a group together of total 5 rooms. The location is great but the rooms are small and the price was not cheap. The service in the restaurant was terrible in all occasions which downgraded the total experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Gunnaregill, thank you for posting your review. I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. Hopefully, you can give us another chance to better serve you in the future. Please email me directly for a future reservation and I will take care of your requests.

Kind Regards,

San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

First visit to the Big Apple for a conference and stayed here. Very near Times Square, subway, shopping, etc. Beautiful room; small but typical size for NYC. Very quiet in the hotel; never heard any noise from other rooms. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. I would stay here again if given the chance, and the price was excellent for the area and amenities.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear thehamster64, we are glad we met your expectations. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope you stay with us again.

Birmingham
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Good overall experience. Most reviews mention the size of the rooms so we were pleasantly surprised to find this to be perfectly adequate for a 4 night stay. Bed was extremely comfortable, room was clean and well decorated and staff accommodated our advance request for a high floor quiet room.
The only facility we would have liked would be an illuminated magnifying mirror for shaving/ make up, particularly due to the darkness of the room.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room away from the elevators if you need a good night sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen348, thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will take your suggestions into consideration. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Palm Springs, CA
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had such a blast in NYC over our five night visit. I can tell you that our stay at the Night Hotel contributed greatly to the experience. We were in a king sized room.

An opinion of a hotel starts with the staff. They are the welcome wagon which can set the tone for your stay. These men and women at Night Hotel were great. Every one of them. I can’t remember the name of the young man who checked us in, but he was so sweet and very professional at every encounter. Patrick too is a real gem. He’s very personable and knows his city. They are all very knowledgeable about NYC and are happy to answer any and all questions. One night we had a lengthy and great conversation with one of their employees (again, I can’t remember his name! rats!) who grew up in Paris and Lisbon and spoke at least a handful of languages. He was so interesting. A++ for customer service.

The room is quite small. Although it is a “typical size” for a NYC room, according to so many locals. It was clean. We quickly got used to the size because it was decorated so cool, and it quickly felt like we were staying in a room of a friend’s house. We appreciated the comfortable bed with its nice sheets which made for a good nights sleep. The cosy bathrobes were a welcome touch, and I was glad to know that they were a perk that comes with the room. We were on the 2nd floor and had a view of 45th St. My husband slept like a rock, and I felt that any street noise wasn’t too bad. I would bet that the windows are dual pane. I NEVER heard a peep from anyone above our room, nor did I hear ANY sound through the walls. That really made me happy, and I took notice of how thick the walls must be. They don’t make ‘em like that anymore. An “A-” for the room. They would get an “A” if there were a bathtub, but I learned that none of their rooms have a bathtub.

LOVED the location. Enjoyed grabbing a drink at Connelly’s across the street (free wi-fi over there). Your choice of 3 Irish bars complete with munchies, and friendly employees are right across the street. Starbucks is a couple of doors towards TS, and heading towards 6th and across the street is a 24 hour deli. We split a nice little veggie sandwich there at about 3 am on the night we arrived before we hit the hay. A++ for location.

Only a couple of blocks from our favorite hole-in-the-wall breakfast and/or lunch/early dinner place called, “Green Symphony” 255 W 43rd St - between 7th Ave & 8th Ave. This is a health food haven and “a must” if you are into SUPER fresh, SUPER tasty recipes at a great price. I'm definitely going to review them on TA.

There is a sushi restaurant in the Night Hotel, but as vegetarians we never tried it.

OK, that's about it. I will think back on this trip with fond memories, and they were a big part of it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pilates_Gal
Dear Pilates_Gal, we are delighted to know your experience at Night hotel was memorable and met your expectations. It's very rewarding to read reviews like yours, We hope you choose us again the next time you come to NYC.