“Exquisite Birthday Dinner”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: West Village
Cross street: Between West 4th Street and Bleecker
Transit: A, B, C, D, E, F and V trains to West 4th Street and the 1 train to Christopher Street.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The food, the ambiance and the service were absolutely impeccable. It was exactly what I was hoping for for my birthday. The cocktails were top notch, the duck fat popcorn a real treat, and every appetizer, entree and dessert was amazing. Highlights included the duck meatballs, the tofu appetizer, the steak, the pork chop, and the chocolate soufflé. Sarah gave some of the best service I can remember as well. Thank you Perilla for a perfect birthday meal!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Before Top Chef contestants were forced to bicycle across Texas at the height of summer to reach a kitchen or swing an ice pick to retrieve ingredients from blocks of ice in Alaska, they actually cooked (earlier seasons still had challenges of course, but those didn't seem as stupid as in recent seasons). Harold "I'm a chef" Dieterle did just cook and won Season 1 in 2006. He opened Perilla a year later in Greenwich, and its website completely omits any mention of his Top Chef experience. Heh. Well, it was because of my semi-idle interest in Top Chef that I figured I had to check Perilla out.

It might have been around 12:30 on that Saturday when I ambled up to Perilla's unassuming door. The perky hostess greeted me cheerily and I was escorted mid-way into the restaurant. The place was about half-full. Decor is pretty minimalistic with taupe walls, blond wood tables, darker wood chairs, and orange cushioned banquettes. If there was music, it was so unobtrusive that I can't even remember if there was any.

As it was a Saturday, the brunch menu was provided. I wavered over the honey gem salad (with its "bee pollen vinaigrette") and the braised lamb meatballs, but in the end I went with the spicy duck burger. My server asked if I wanted ketchup, mustard, and mayo on the side; sure. For my beer, I went with the only offering from New York, the Ommegang (Witte).

A wee raspberry cakelet/muffin was brought to my table as a starter; a nice gesture. It was pretty tasty but as I was eating it I thought I should have saved it until I was done with my meal as the muffin was more of a sweet breakfasty treat and I was going for the savory lunch type of food.

My server swiftly arrived with the beer but did not do a great job of pouring it into the glass; half of the pour became foam. At $8, I want as much liquid as possible please. After letting it settle a bit I took a taste and I had a difficult time restraining myself from guzzling the rest of the bottle before my meal arrived.

The decently-sized burger arrived in good time. On the side, apart from the condiments, were the lettuce, tomato, red onion, and avocado. Also, there was a pickle spear and a decent helping of the spiced fries. The first bite of the burger was sublime. And spicy; I was quickly reaching for the beer to douse my tongue. The next bite wasn't as sharp. Overall, the spiciness seemed to vary as I ate, as if the spices had not been mixed uniformly into the patty, if that was how it was done. The burger was still delicious, as were the fries. The bun held everything together until the end, the meat itself was tender-juicy without grease, and the perfectly melted cheese was just enough to lend its flavor without being a too-thick slab. I'd say the entree was worth the $16.

Service was prompt and friendly throughout the meal and I left full but not uncomfortably so. I'd love to try more items on the menu in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a warm and seemingly local establishment, but from the other patrons recently encountered, it has a very nice and widespread following beyond lower Manhattan. Our duck and swordfish entrees were very good, the fish a bit overdone (dry) but well offset by the accompaniments, and the waitstaff's help with a wine choice was right on target. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank Dustement
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were a company of six, and had a delectable meal at this West Village restaurant near Washington Square. I couldn’t resist, as appetizer, the “Spicy Duck Meatballs,” which I shared with my fellow diners. Everyone enjoyed the tang and savor of this unusual dish; Two of us tried the pork belly, which was cooked somewhat in the Chinese style (not recommended for dieters who eat only lean meat). My wife ordered the “hangar steak” (flank steak), which she relished: it was cooked to a turn. The dinner was not inexpensive, and the wine list is skimpy, but we enjoyed the wine we did select. The service was attentive without being intrusive.

It would not be a regular stop for us if we lived in New York (too pricey), but a good spot for special occasions when the celebration warranted an extra treat (and expense).

Reviewed 4 March 2014

There are a lot of good restaurants in this city, but gone are the days of having an amazing dining experience. The attention to detail, and that detail being YOU is why you go here. There's really only 1 item on the menu that you need to get and it's the "Menu Tasting" The chef selects and you enjoy. The staff is amazing. It doesn't matter who took your order because whatever you ordered shows up in front of you.

1  Thank R W