“Place is tricky to find but once you find it...”
Review of Levain Bakery

Levain Bakery
Ranked #2 of 438 Dessert in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$23
Cuisines: Indian, Fast food
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Description: Nestled in New York City's Upper West Side, Levain headquarters is a cozy neighborhood bakery where locals are greeted by name. A steady stream of loyal regulars stand side by side with tourists, eager to sample the legendary baked goods. From an inventive array of rustic breads to the world-famous six-ounce chocolate chip walnut cookie, everything is baked on-site, fresh every day from the finest natural ingredients. What doesn't sell that day goes to help feed the hungry-a mission that has been solidly in place since the beginning. The bakery was founded in 1994 by friends Connie McDonald and Pam Weekes. At the time, Connie was in banking and Pam in Fashion. The two, both competitive swimmers, trained together for the Ironman and-not surprisingly, as their tireless workouts left them feeling starved for great food- they began a passionate dialog about creating the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie. Within just a few years, Levain Bakery had become a neighborhood institution and a destination for epicurious travelers from around the world. Demand continued to grow. In 2000, to satisfy their regular clientele summering in the Hamptons, the two opened a second bakery in the village of Wainscott on Long Island's East End. And today, through their website, they now ship their world-famous cookies to happy fans around the globe.
manila
“Place is tricky to find but once you find it...”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

A $4.00 cookie? Yes, it's worth every cent. Big, chunky, melts-in-your mouth goodness. Very limited seats inside. I tried the oatmeal and the chocolate chip cookies and they were good!

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Florianopolis, SC
“Magical Cookie. Can't describe it with words.”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is one of the best things I have ever eat in my life. It's a huge cookie, amazing, tasty, soft, delicious. Cant't describe it with words. I stayed for 7 days in NYC and went to Levain 2 times.
Really really good. It's a mandatory place to go in NYC.

• Visited November 2013
Boston
“Classic Items Executed Perfectly”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I got 3 kinds of cookies and all were delicious. They are large and doughy which I like.

You should also try the baguette with jam and butter. Sounds simple but it is truly a special treat.

Space is very small so this is a grab and go spot.

• Visited December 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“What's your secret??”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

One word: cookie. Go get one!! They were very-very good! It was worth carrying heavy luggage into and out of the place in freezing cold weather (aka doing the impossible). If you've been there, you will know what I mean. Also, the staff were really friendly while it was busy with high traffic. You will find this small hidden bakery east of Amsterdam on 74th before Amsterdam and Broadway meet. Well worth it. I ate the cookie before I could get a picture of it, oops. I visited this place because of recommendations from tripadvisor.

• Visited November 2013
Guadalajara, Spain
“Me encanta”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I can't believe how delicious their chocolate chip walnut cookies are. I mean, hello? where have they been all my life?

My friend's brother insisted we stop here during our NYC trip. Located down a tiny flight of steps, there is barely any room to order inside this super busy little bakery. Usually not a fan of cookies, I asked my friend for a bite of hers just to try. Then the perfect mixture of butter, melted chocolate, crunchy walnut and hot crustiness mix with doughiness happened in my mouth and I got right back in line to purchase 3 of them.

These cookies are $4 and not for the faint of heart! They are giant, scone like (as many reviews have mentioned) and I could not finish in one sitting! Actually after about 1/3 of the cookie I felt like I was already in sugar overdose. Their oatmeal raisin is just as good, don't pass it up!

I froze them for the remaining 2 days I was in NYC and packed them in my backpack to take home. Once home, I toasted them in the toaster oven for a few minutes and shared it with my boyfriend who has a strong sweet tooth. He was in heaven the moment he bit into this cookie.

Man oh man, I am almost glad I don't live in NYC or diabetes is looking pretty likely in my future.

Visited November 2013