“Feels like a local”

Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: East Village
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We only had a drink but the atmosphere was good and the bit next door does cheap $3 pint from 5-7pm The windows were open and the bar man played The Specials - because "he like them a lot" over and over - luckily we like them to!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Against the Grain is the small bar attached to the Grape and Grain restaurant next door. It’s a small, quirky bar with a lot of character and a fantastic ever-changing beer selection. I popped in on a Monday afternoon and was the only one there, but got chatting with the friendly bar staff who picked out and let me sample lots of different beers. Great hidden gem well worth checking out if you are in the East Village.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I love this adorable little wine bar! I meet friends here at least once a month and send people here when they are in from out of town (or friends who live in NYC but have not gone yet). The bartenders are always helpful and very friendly. The cheese selection is always changing and the is interesting. The wine list has something for everyone! I usually have difficulty choosing...so I recommend having two glasses. ;-)

It has comfortable tables for groups or you can just saddle up to the bar and enjoy a conversation with the bartender. Also, next door (Grain side) has an amazing beer selection which my husband enjoys. Also, it is off the beaten path a bit by East Village standards so it has a chill atmosphere with great music.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Good food, good (but limited) choice of wines, casual and welcoming atmosphere. Four of us shared five of the delicious "small plates" and didn't feel the need to go back for more. Would definitely go here whenever I am in the neighborhood.

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

We happened by this place and had a great time! Nice couch in the back. Three of is split arugula, olives, cevice and two other apps plus a bottle of wine. The menu said cash and amex only but then it turned out that was the bar next door. All in all we had a great time, but everything was overpriced.