“excellent food, best sushi ever!”
Review of East Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Three of us ate here on our first night of our sightseeing trip to Manhattan. We walked by it and were a little hesitant, it is a casual place that does not look like much, but we were tired and this was close to our hotel One UN. It was excellent - can't compare it with any of the sushi we have ever had in Minnesota. Our son is a big sushi fan and he was so happy. Their noodle soup was also outstanding, a big serving and very tasty. We also tried the deep fried vegetables - interesting but would not necessarily recommed. The Japanese beer was good. Service was not great but not terrible. Overall great food at a very decent price.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Casual Japanese restaurant offering large fresh portions at affordable prices. Up to this point, we were satisfied. Unfortunately, we were literally hunted down by our waitress who kept coming round to our table, offering more and more wine (we had ordered two glasses), and telling us that if the food was good we should leave her a good tip. When we paid the bill, she came almost yelling at us, saying that the tip was not enough and she deserved more "dollars" (as she said).
We are neither Japanese nor Americans, but have been visiting the US very regularly for over 30 years, so we know the rules concerning tips and taxes and I think that it is unfair to try to cheat people, just because we are tourists.
It's a pity because we enjoyed our dinner, but it was spoiled by this rude waitress.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I are regulars here. Sometimes we come in with hubby's mom too. We usually come here when he picks me up from work or when we decide to go to the Central Park or museums and we'd stop by East on the way. Very easy to find parking around here although there's a parking garage just across from the restaurant. Service is good, food is good. I like some food better than the others like their string beans and tofu appetizer. I also love salmon neck from this place, they give quite a big piece. I found cooked-food is better than raw at this place, It's a good place for family. My mother-in-law likes this place also, she and I have tried almost all cooked-fish served at this place. So far so good. It's time to meet East no matter what part of planet you're from. Kanpai! *=)

Reviewed 25 May 2013

If you don't mind all of your clothes and hair smelling like fried food, go here. You'll have to take a shower and wash everything since the ventilation system doesn't take the grease aroma out of the air. The food is not very good either. I only go there because friends like it. I still don't know why. There are so many other places that are better.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

We love this place. The sushi is on color coded plates and goes by each table on a conveyor belt. The food is fresh a fairly priced. It is a cool experience to have food coming by on a conveyor belt and just grabbing whatever you want to eat. If you are in the area check it out.