“Terrible Staff But Comfy Bed & Clean Room.”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #336 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Terrible Staff But Comfy Bed & Clean Room.”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Well, I am not sure where to start with this hotel. I have never encountered so many people working in the service industry who are not approachable, don't smile and do not even acknowledge your presence as you walk into or out of the building. When we arrived at 1pm on Friday the 11th of Oct we waited in reception for 10 minutes while both reception staff were on the phone. I stood for a while longer and eventually a man dealt with us. He asked the last name, gave us keys, a map and took a credit card to hold the room. No mention of breakfast, the roof top terrace, the lounge with free tea and coffee or the business center where the computer is. The room was small but we were fine with that, its New York, its a place to sleep! The room was very clean and the bed was so comfy, we had a great sleep. Housekeeping were really pleasant, the only ones that actually said good morning and the lovely lady who cleaned our room did a great job - we are quite messy!! I didn't get her name but she was from Albania. The second day we came back for a wee rest only to discover our keys didn't work. I went to reception to get them renewed but the Spanish man said our credit card had been declined...I hadn't paid for anything with it! I asked him what he meant and he said they had charged $50 "holding fee" to the card...NO MENTION of this at check in. They didn't say we needed a holding fee and had they asked I would have paid in cash as the card was not verified for the USA. So after then being told I had to pay $50 I said I need back into my room to get money so I went up and got it, when I gave to the reception man, he then said he needed the full payment for the room!!! I had booked direct and got the room for 4 nights for £363, very decent price for Times Square and believe me, they are not worth anymore than this. Needs updated badly. The reception man then put me on the phone to the supervisor who explained she needed the full payment now, it was SO insulting. They then got the bill totally wrong, $500 wrong!!! I refused to pay it and got out my conformation letter. After all this and wasting an HOUR of my time standing at reception with very little info of what was going on, all they gave us was 40 minutes of internet access, I am so so disappointed as I love NYC, and I will return but NEVER to this place...Take some advice, management...Get better staff!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Room was clean, shower was hot, bed was comfortable, location phenomenal . Japanese restaurant and bar made the place an excellent choice, happy hour every night with awesome, friendly staff 5 star...food and drinks! Cindy B.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Worksop
Reviewed 12 October 2013

It's a city hotel ... bit dark but ok. Location great for Times Square, shopping - all the attractions. Breakfast was continental - fresh, very nice. Initial room was quite small looking out at a wall, which would have been ok for sleeping and leaving our stuff, but we asked the question and was upgraded with no problem. The new room was large, nice bathroom, kingsize bed, everything was clean. There was a supermarket at the end of the road,also a very good Irish Bar, Subway and various eateries. A nice stay with helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank worksopgran
San Jose, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Clean rooms, nice staff, halls to room filthy and very old. Best location for the money. Restaurants are every where around this hotel. Subway is a few feet away and busses on the corner. They have a limo for a small fee to the cruise port if you are. Coming in a couple of days early.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Milt S
Paducah, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The location of this hotel was just right for going to Times Square, theaters etc. The bar had reasonable happy hour prices. The rooftop patio was a great place to just take our own drinks and visit with friends late at night. Lighting in the bathroom was dark and the rooms were small but very clean. Friendly staff!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lois D
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in September. Our 7th time staying in Manhattan. Always stay either times square, east side or west side areas of Manhattan. Not looking to pay a ton and usually priceline (bid) on hotel rooms and are successful. This time was not successful so booked this hotel through expedia at $247 + taxes. Just looking for something safe, clean and conveniently located.
Check in was quick..5min. We were only ones checking in (thursday). There lobby is tiny and front desk even smaller. Only one EE working check-ins but she was pleasant and efficient. Upgraded from standard room with a king bed to a superior -(bigger) room with king bed at check in at no charge. Hotel is really old and decor is really dated. Small but efficient elevator. Room was average size for NY. Can't imagine how small the Standard room must have been. Like walking back into 1970's as far as decor goes. No safe. Flat screen TV but no HD service. Lighting in room incredibly poor. Had view of 50th ST W. Bathroom just big enough for toilet, sink, shower/tub. Extremely limited vanity space. Bathroom was well lit. Much better than the living area. Plenty of mirror on wall. Best part of room was the great water pressure/shower head. Plenty hot water also. No Central A/C. Actually was a window unit AC. Not an issue as 2 days we were there in september it was in 60's for highs. Not sure if this unit would cool the room in July. As room faces street you here all the street noise first thing in morning so sleeping in not likely. Servicing of room was done both days and room was clean. The big selling point of this place is as mentioned in my title. it is on 50th street between 7th and 8th Ave. 2 blocks east is rockefeller center and Radio city music hall. 3 blocks south down 7th ave and you are in heart of times square. 2 blocks west on 50th and you are in hells kitchen. 5 block west and you get to Hudson river and the Intrepid air,space, water museum.

perfect for what we were looking for but definitely the lowest rate hotel room we have stayed in in NYC.

there was restaurant off the lobby but never saw it open as we left hotel in morning and returned late at night.

we paid up front so check out was breeze just dropping of key at front desk.

would stay again if price was right and had no other options in my price range.

Room Tip: if light sleeper i would request inside room not one with view of 50th street.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bri11164
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 September 2013

By the time we found the Amsterdam Court Hotel we were happy to see smiling faces and really nice accommodations. Our first time in New York had us a little confused but our room was the respite we needed after our daily excursions. As we are from Houston, TX the air conditioner was a necessity and it worked perfectly every night. I slept very comfortably but my family member thought that a firmer mattress would have made sleep easier. We will have to look into that for the next trip. When I was ready to print my boarding pass for our return trip, Abdull was so nice to help me get started. Our bell hops were very helpful and kind, as was the lady at the check out desk. Thank you, Abdull, Robert, Jana and bell hop from when we first arrived. Sorry I can't remember his name.

Room Tip: "Be sure to do your research and be sure you are clear about the type of room you need!"
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family