“Don't stay here !!”

Ranked #338 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here !!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in New York a few times and this is the worst hotel i have stayed in. It has only one thing going for it and that is its location, subways are nearby and it's about 15 mins to Times Square. The room was basically a bed with no room to walk around and had a very lumpy mattress, the air conditioning unit sounded like a jumbo jet engine and there was constant noise of water running through pipes. I stayed 4 nights and every time i came and went through the day not once did any member of staff wish me good morning or even acknowledge me at all. Sorry to be brunt but don't stay here it is that bad.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hotel has the BEST LOCATION anyone visiting New York could ever want. You are a 1-minute walk from Times Square, and it takes less than 10 minutes to walk to any given Broadway Theatre (you can actually see the Winter-Garden theatre from the front door of the hotel, and are right across the street from the Gershwin Theatre). The rooms, while not huge, are quite comfortable and clean. I found that I spent so little time in the room itself that its size did not really matter. In addition, the front-desk staff are very helpful. One front-desk employee, Vanessa, even went out of her way to score my friend and I tickets to a taping of The Late Show with David Letterman. We were very grateful, and this was especially helpful because we did not have cell phones that worked in NY. I am sure I will consider going back to this hotel the next time I visit New York City.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Fairfax Station, Virginia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Think of a standard room in a cruise ship...not much room. That's what you should expect at the Amsterdam Court...and the hotel is in need of renovation. However, the staff was very helpful (Karina and Robert)--and the location is OUTSTANDING! We were directly across the street from the Broadway musical WICKED...and one block away from CHICAGO. Times Square was just blocks...and South Central Park just over a mile. Put your walking shoes on and GO. Now, the room was clean...the bathroom recently upgraded...but the overall hotel is dated and could use a renovation. But you get value for the price.

Room Tip: We took a king bed (upgrade) and while the room was small...the extra bed space was nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Well, I am not sure where to start with this hotel. I have never encountered so many people working in the service industry who are not approachable, don't smile and do not even acknowledge your presence as you walk into or out of the building. When we arrived at 1pm on Friday the 11th of Oct we waited in reception for 10 minutes while both reception staff were on the phone. I stood for a while longer and eventually a man dealt with us. He asked the last name, gave us keys, a map and took a credit card to hold the room. No mention of breakfast, the roof top terrace, the lounge with free tea and coffee or the business center where the computer is. The room was small but we were fine with that, its New York, its a place to sleep! The room was very clean and the bed was so comfy, we had a great sleep. Housekeeping were really pleasant, the only ones that actually said good morning and the lovely lady who cleaned our room did a great job - we are quite messy!! I didn't get her name but she was from Albania. The second day we came back for a wee rest only to discover our keys didn't work. I went to reception to get them renewed but the Spanish man said our credit card had been declined...I hadn't paid for anything with it! I asked him what he meant and he said they had charged $50 "holding fee" to the card...NO MENTION of this at check in. They didn't say we needed a holding fee and had they asked I would have paid in cash as the card was not verified for the USA. So after then being told I had to pay $50 I said I need back into my room to get money so I went up and got it, when I gave to the reception man, he then said he needed the full payment for the room!!! I had booked direct and got the room for 4 nights for £363, very decent price for Times Square and believe me, they are not worth anymore than this. Needs updated badly. The reception man then put me on the phone to the supervisor who explained she needed the full payment now, it was SO insulting. They then got the bill totally wrong, $500 wrong!!! I refused to pay it and got out my conformation letter. After all this and wasting an HOUR of my time standing at reception with very little info of what was going on, all they gave us was 40 minutes of internet access, I am so so disappointed as I love NYC, and I will return but NEVER to this place...Take some advice, management...Get better staff!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Room was clean, shower was hot, bed was comfortable, location phenomenal . Japanese restaurant and bar made the place an excellent choice, happy hour every night with awesome, friendly staff 5 star...food and drinks! Cindy B.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Worksop
Reviewed 12 October 2013

It's a city hotel ... bit dark but ok. Location great for Times Square, shopping - all the attractions. Breakfast was continental - fresh, very nice. Initial room was quite small looking out at a wall, which would have been ok for sleeping and leaving our stuff, but we asked the question and was upgraded with no problem. The new room was large, nice bathroom, kingsize bed, everything was clean. There was a supermarket at the end of the road,also a very good Irish Bar, Subway and various eateries. A nice stay with helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank worksopgran
San Jose, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Clean rooms, nice staff, halls to room filthy and very old. Best location for the money. Restaurants are every where around this hotel. Subway is a few feet away and busses on the corner. They have a limo for a small fee to the cruise port if you are. Coming in a couple of days early.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple