“Great location for city budget hotel”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #345 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Visited with my teenage daughter and we wanted to feel safe walking home at night . The hotel was near to Times Square and we had no problems getting around,perfect location. Yet not too noisy .The staff were great the hotel was comfortable and clean. Small and friendly with lots of diners nearby for breakfast. We arrived and walked straight to the Rockefeller Centre to get to the top for dusk ,this was just along the street. Perfect. Travelled in February 2011 and it snowed ,the hotel was nice and warm.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lisa m
Write a ReviewReviews (3,323)

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel was in the perfect location for sight seeing. We went to NYC to see a Broadway show, and this hotel was just blocks away from the theatre which we had tickets for. We were able to walk to central park, as well as the bus stops for the hop on/ hop off bus tours. There are also many subway stations around.

The hotel itself was very clean and pretty. The rooms were tiny, but the beds were extremely comfortable. Breakfast and internet were NOT included. I would NOT suggest buying the breakfast either, it was expensive and you did not even get a decent cup of coffee. I would suggest going elsewhere for the breakfast. Parking was available to us at a parking garage across the street for an extra fee of $20 per 24 hours, which we found to be pretty reasonable for downtown NYC. We did however find the hotel to be quite pricey for what you got.

The service was pretty awful. They were understaffed, which meant a long wait time to check in. It also meant that they did not provide very good service. The staff was rushed, and not very polite when checking us in. Before checking in, I went to the front desk to ask which parking garage was the hotel parking, and the lady told me that it was the one just across the street and pointed me in the wrong direction (There were multiple parking garages on the opposite side of the street from the hotel). Finally, after driving around for a couple of blocks we were able to get through to the hotel on our car phone and they gave us the address of the parking garage (it was in the opposite direction of where the lady at reception pointed us to). We found that the staff was not very informative, nor were they polite until they asked us to give them a rating on tripadvisor.

4  Thank Jessy19201393
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I recently visited NYC for a long weekend and decided to stay near Times Square and the theater district. This place lived up to the reviews on location. I was within walking distance of most any attraction that I wanted to see or very near a subway station if needed. Upon arrival - the check in staff were not pleasant and didn't seem to care. I made my way to the second elevator because the first one was extremely busy as suggested by the staff. Only to find out that it was broken....so my stay was off to a less than great start - even though the welcome/reception area looked great. Upon arriving at my room - I opened the door to a room that was smaller than any cruise ship room I have ever stayed in. Having said all the above - I must say that the room was clean, the housekeeping service was great, I had plenty of hot water and I had an absolutely great time. Bottom line - if you are looking for a nice clean room at an affordable rate - close to eveything - this is a great stay. If you like to have a lot of space - you should definately look for somewhere else. The staff the day of check out were super nice!

Room Tip: The ice machine is in the hallway - request a room far from the ice machine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Looked at what people said took a chance on this one .....so glad I did really enjoyed my stay upgraded room for free for husbands birthday :) lovely big room staff was all amazing ben was just fab helpful with anything we wanted ..good clean hotel free coffee and tea down lobby 24 hours coffee was very good lovely comfy beds very central great location would come back and stay again hopefully next year I think we got a bargain don't think it's all finished yet but I never had any problem loved the roof top garden work to be done up there think there's a bar being done ..nice and quiet when we went couldn't fault it would go back :)

Room Tip: Got upgraded to room for hubby's birthday for free lovely big room not sure how other rooms are...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The location is excellent if you want to be close to Times Square, it's right around the corner. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is a bit run down. The room was clean but the bathroom was in need of a renovation. Cracks on the sink and tub. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast is too expensive for what is offered. The price wasn't too bad considering how pricey it is to stay in Manhattan.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I've stayed at Amsterdam Court for 10 days and it was a great place. It's an amazing deal between location, price and attention. Marlene and Mariana were really helpful and nice.
You could never find a hotel like this for that price in Manhattan!
I would definitely recommend it!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have stayed in New York a few times and this is the worst hotel i have stayed in. It has only one thing going for it and that is its location, subways are nearby and it's about 15 mins to Times Square. The room was basically a bed with no room to walk around and had a very lumpy mattress, the air conditioning unit sounded like a jumbo jet engine and there was constant noise of water running through pipes. I stayed 4 nights and every time i came and went through the day not once did any member of staff wish me good morning or even acknowledge me at all. Sorry to be brunt but don't stay here it is that bad.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo