“Great hotel for the price”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #336 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel for the price”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

You are expected to walk around NYC and not really stay in your hotel room but to sleep. This is a great hotel for the price that you pay. We got a room at the 3rd floor with a queen bed and the room is big enough for the two of us. The washroom is not that big but functional, minimal counter space. The bed and pillows were too soft for me but the duvet was great. There's enough drawers to put your clothes it but not a lot of floor space to leave your luggage open on the floor so I suggest to hang your clothes or put them in the drawer. The hotel is steps away from Time Square and Central Park and a subway and great restaurants. For the price, you really can't go wrong with this hotel. Staff were friendly enough. It is also in a busy location so you will feel safe coming back from a late night out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Patrica0601,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your honest and candid review. We are very fortunate to be centrally located in the mecca of the Times Square area and was so pleased to hear you got to enjoy it! We like to assure that our guests can receive as close as possible to the comforts of home and appreciate your acknowledgement. Please look us up the next time your travel bring you back to NYC, I look forward to saying hi!
Happy Holidays

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Turkish first
Miami
Reviewed 25 November 2013

They Nickel and Dime you ! Abusive way to do business! Since when does a hotel start charging you for internet? No complimentary nothing. They don't appreciate your business. I needed a toothbrush and mouthwash and not even that- they could provide. Also as soon as we got there, they handed us a liability waiver excusing them from room theft expecting that you don't know better and you will just sign it like a good sheep. Really presumptuous.
Thats telling you to your face, WE DON'T RESPECT YOU!
...Let me guess who writes the first few reviews visible here! Someone who has a vested interest in this establishment maybe?-

Dear Oscar S

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. I am disappointed to see that we failed to exceed your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize for any shortfall in our ability to provide you with the highest levels of service possible. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to assist in the future. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Regards,

pgallo@amsterdamhospitality.com

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I just came back from my second time at this hotel. It was as good as the first. The staff couldn't have been nicer and more helpful, the location is great with many subways within a couple of blocks, as well as located right in the middle of the theatre district. There is a great restaurant and bar area to visit connected to the hotel. The rooms are very nice and extremely clean. I would definitely visit this hotel again and have told my friends the same. There is still some construction on the street outside, so, if you want to sleep late in the morning, this may not be the choice for you. (Not the hotel's fault). Definitely a great value for the money.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very good and a high floor would help with the construction in the daytime.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JudyMoore082855
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Ms. Moore,

It was such a pleasure to welcome you back. Just like a family member coming home, we are always so happy to embrace returning guests. Your kind words and loyalty mean the world to us and we are thrilled we were able to provide you with a comfortable haven during your visit. Thanks again and we look forward with open arms to see you again! Happy Holidays!!

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Myself and my daughter stayed for 4 nights in Sept and had a fantastic time. The location is excellent walking distance to most of the major tourist attractions. Our room was spacious and kept very clean with a view of the street below perfect. The lady on reception was so helpful and Robert was a star. Excellent hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank sh1965
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Sh1965,

Thank you so much for sharing your "Perfect" experience here at The Amsterdam Court, We are so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable time. I have shared your kind words with Robert and the rest of our Team and they were grinning from ear to ear.
You are family now and we look forward to welcoming you again the next time your travels bring you back to NYC!

Warm Regards,
Nashville, TN USA
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This well located hotel near Times Square was a surprise. My company booked it and warned that many rooms are small and some lack windows.
I had a nice size with two windows.
Check in was fast and friendly.
Elevators are slow and small, but acceptable.
Bed was comfortable and flat screen TV had plenty of options,
Internet was included for my room, but is not always.
Temperature control was my only complaint. An old fashioned steam radiator was hard to control and there was a tiny window air con if needed.
Bathroom was updated.
I found that not having a mirror above the sink was annoying.
Hard to get balance of hot and cold for shower at first.
There was no in room safe and the front desk could not take my small laptop as they did not offer lockboxes that could accommodate even a small laptop. This was a big annoyance for me.
Staff was always excellent!!! I have to emphasize this was a nice surprise for New York.
Heat controls, shower and lack of safe cause me to lower my rating.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Pine129,

Thank you for your honest and forthright posting. We value any and all critique as we continue to grow to become the #1 hotel choice in NYC. I am pleased to hear that our front Office staff was welcoming and genuine and realize how important first impressions are! I do apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced during your past stay but assure that with our upcoming renovations you will be more than pleased with the changes. Please feel free to contact me directly at 212-459-1000 or via email pgallo@amsterdamhospitality.com if you would like to discuss further any particulars regarding your stay.

Warm regards,
Peter M. Gallo
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This place is rated a 3 1/2 but is barely a 2. It's one thing to be an old building but another to look its age. The location is great but that's it. The smallest room I've ever been in. Housekeeping was terrible. Had to ask for towel replacement twice because they took the used ones without leaving fresh towels. When we asked the maid she failed to get them. We finally realized it was because she didn't understand English. The shower was modern without walls but the shower head was mounted so that the entire floor got wet during use. No shelf to place your toilet kit so the toilet lid was the only option. Yuck! Ice machine on our floor was broken the entire time so up 4 floors to get ice. The mattress was so soft I had a constant back ache and given that walking is the mode of transport there it was agonizing at times. Lights out in bathroom and you can't control the room temperature so we cooked at night even with the window wide open. In fairness the front desk staff were great but it was apparent they had no control over the way the place operates. The restaurant was very good. This could be a good place to stay if the owners put a serious renovation together but it isn't so choose another hotel even if its more money.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Kevin P,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. We are very sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. We sincerely apologize. We are working hard to make positive changes to the hotel and am sorry that your stay was less than exceptional. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly to discuss the matter further at 212 459 1000 or via Email at pgallo@amsterdamhospitality.com at your convenience.

Warm Regards,

birmingham
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Fantastic pictures on the web site beautiful Boutique hotel ? No I don't think so .
We were greeted in an average manor, Reception area and bar were not too bad , but the rooms are terrible , nothing like the picture on the web site!! Bath was not clean and a damp smell The room was so was so tiny I struggled to open my case ,there was a waste pipe running inside the building that made a noise all night .We were meant to stay 3 nights but one was enough
Don't sure why its called a boutique hotel more like a hostel !!!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank yvon-8
Dear yvon-8,

On behalf the Amsterdam Court please accept our sincerest apologies for any discomfort you may have experienced during your stay with us. We here at the Court pride ourselves on our welcoming smiles and are known for treating all our guests with cordiality and generosity. So I am so saddened when you say you did not get to experience that first hand. The hotel rooms may seem small but are on par with most NYC hotels however I can imagine this only added to your frustration.
All in all I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations and only hope you may allow me personally to one day welcome you to the Court again. If so, I will show you the Hospitably we are known for and offer you an upgrade to one of our more spacious rooms so you can truly enjoy NYC in the ways it is intended!

Warm regards,