“Great location; tiny room; uncomfortable bed”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #337 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Mississauga, Ontario
“Great location; tiny room; uncomfortable bed”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed in the hotel this past week and while the location way amazing; the room could have been better. The window was a joke; you couldn't tell whether it was night or day. The bed was super uncomfortable. The bathroom had pink tile; either it was outdated or they got a deal on retro tile. However, the room was clean.

For the price we paid $300 a night; I was a little shocked. However it is NYC and thats what happens in the first week that Christmas hits NYC.

Would not go back. I've stayed in better in NYC for less.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Iobie,

Thank you for taking a moment to post your review. We here at Amsterdam Court take all critique both positive and negative very seriously. There is always something we can learn from a guest experience and your is no different. I am so sorry that you found the bed uncomfortable. What exactly was the problem?, please fell free to contact me and discuss this in more detail. We would love to welcome you back to assure a more pleasant experience.

Have a wonderful Holiday!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Busy week thanks to tree lighting made finding a hotel in the city a challenge. I stumbled across Amsterdam, and while expensive (relative to non-peak) times I like the location.
Sadly, that is the only positive thing I can say. The room was tiny, I could practically touch wall to wall, the temperature was outrageously hot, the ice maker in hallway was atrociously loud (sounded like diesel generator), the full bed was crappy, the phone didn't work, there wasn't even a cup in the room to get a glass of water, the front desk not helpful to my temp problems, and worst of all I found a bug in the bed...the next morning.
Grossed out still....horrible night...will never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Malakeo
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Malakeo,

I am truly disheartened by your recent review. I do apologize for our shortcomings and have reported these incidents to the responsible department heads. We listen closely to guest concerns and I assure you we address these issues in a constructive and pro-active manner.
I am however pleased that you found our location convenient and enjoyable for your stay. Please feel free to contact me at your leisure as to discuss this matter in more detail.
Have a joyous Holiday,

Warm Regards,

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Dunkirk, France
Reviewed 5 December 2013

All is said in the title.... so bad as the bedroom is perfect, cleaned and the déco is unusual ! but the nights are horrible.... sure NYC is always noisy but this time , it's from inside.... Yes you've well red.... the noise come from the bedroom radiator where hot water runs or not inside and the radiator whistles . If you shut it, it's cold inside and if it's opened.... you can't sleep... even with earcaps we always use in hotels !
You can't do anything for that .... it's a problem of central heater !
For the price , no free wifi, no breakfast and I advice you to check your invoice before leaving....
it was our best quality price ( $145) location ( 2 mn from times square) but finally it was an error.... Don't forget taxes to add.... here it was $30 ....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brunoffrance
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Brunoffrance,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience at The Amsterdam Court Hotel. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience and loss of sleep you may have experienced due to the noise of the radiator. This is one of the challenges associated with steam heat and unfortunately cannot always be fully controlled. I will of course share this with my engineering Team to see if we can alleviate this problem somewhat so as not cause anymore sleepless nights. It is information such as this that helps us to better offer our guests the quality service they deserve. So thank you Sir for your insight.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and wish you and your family a happy Holiday!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We went for a girls week. The location is wonderful. Service desk was very friendly and helpful!

The hotel is an older hotel.it looks like they are updating it a little at a time. The rooms are small . Bathrooms are very small. When we first check in we where placed on the first floor. Room was very outdated and we could hear everything. No much sleep , but then we where upgraded to the 7 th floor and it was much quieter and newer room. It was a double and there were 3 of us. We did just fine. Small still but you're really only are there for breaks in between sight seeing anyway
As for meals get out to the streets great pizza places and small deli around the corner towards 7th street.

Did I mention the location?
Center to everything we walked to Central Park , the subway is a few doors away. We could see radio city when you step out. Just a two blocks away.. Time square just around the corner . Starbucks everywhere. Wicked across the street .It was an awesome location

We where able to get around on subway, taxi ,bus and even bikes through Central Park .
Those tour buses are good for one day but to use as a means of transportation is too slow. It keeps stopping and waiting for tourist every few blocks. The city pass was defenitly worth it. We did the 3 day .As long as you keep moving and plan out your routes .We where there Tuesday through Sunday and did most of our sight seeing Wednesday Thursday and Friday during the week the weekend was way too busy..

Over all fun times. Peter and the front staff where wonderful!

Stayed November 2013
Dear Butterflyintx,

Well well, my dear ladies, let me just say what a true pleasure it was to have you join us on your recent visit to New York. Its guests like yourselves that reminds us in the hospitality industry why we do this for a living. There is no finer joy then seeing a guest smiling from ear to ear when talking about the fun day they just had in New York, and you sweet women did that on a daily basis. I am so happy that you had a truly enjoyable and memorable stay and even more pleased that we were able to be part of it.
I have shared your kind words with my staff and thank you again for your thoughtfulness!

Warm regards,

Hotel manager
Toronto
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Located right near Broadway and the Metro and only a few minutes from Times Square this is super convenient as a location. The rooms were professionally attired, good staff, very clean and the desk staff helpful with maps and advice for locations to visit. Interesting twist on the coffee, it is served 24x7 in a downstairs well lit up common area with TV and not a coffee maker in the room. There is an adjoining bar and restaurant ( Japanese) should you wish to eat at the premises.

Room Tip: The interior rooms are quieter and lower floors trump higher for elevator times.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Travelinsinclairs,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at The Amsterdam Court Hotel. As the Hotel Manager, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and have shared your kind words with our staff as well. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Warm Regards,

Ponce, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed for my birthday with my wife for 5 days. The room is very small but we only used it to sleep, the bed was extremely comfortable WOW. It is incredibly close to Time Square and everything near and the Staff was extra nice and great service. It seems they count every bar of soap because we only got one on the whole 5 days of stay. If you are going to New York and need a room very close to everything this is your hotel. It is just average and nice. The Staff was very helpful A+++ and the Hotel was clean. The price compared to others was allright. It has a High End Restaurant and Bar.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear eddieneg,

We appreciatiate your recent review of our hotel. Firstly I would like to just say how pleased we are that you enjoyed yourselves and found the area centrally located to fulfill your New York experience. It was also great to hear that your were able to enjoy a comfortable nights sleep but a do apologize if our amenities fell short. I am going to share this with our Housekeeping department, to assure that we meet all needs of all our guests.
On behalf of the staff, thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you again the next time your travels bring back you to New York!

Happy Holidays & warm regards,