“Location, location, location.”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #345 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The search for a hotel started solely concerned with price, so that alone ruled out the majority of hotels. The best deals consistently came up as hostels, something that would certainly not be ideal. However, there was one shining beacon amongst the dark terrors that accompany hallway bathrooms. The Amsterdam Court Hotel was modestly priced (on par with hostels) and appeared to be adequate lodging for a few nights. Sure enough, once I arrived the hotel staff was greatly accommodating. I needed a place to put my bags, as the room was not under my name and the other party had not arrived. They recommended a nice restaurant to get a bite while I waited. Additionally, I needed some tickets printed, and they were more than helpful in assisting me. The room itself was exactly what you should expect to get for a discount price. It was not overly spacious but still comfortable and remarkably clean. Both the staff and the room exceeded expectation. One last thing, it is half a block from the nearest subway station and is just off Times Square. I would one highly recommend this hotel for someone who doesn't demand excessive luxury (the hotel is still extremely nice) and is more interested in exploring the city than basking in the glory of a pricey hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Will R
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Will R,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing such a positive review. Our staff takes pride in affording our guests with that special attention sometimes lost at the bigger brand hotels, and we are humbled to be acknowledged. Yes correct, location is key and without a doubt we have that in our favor. It was so nice that you got to enjoy all that New York has to offer right at your fingertips and that we were able to play a part in that. Thanks again and please don't be a stranger, the welcome mat is always out!

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,314)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Honeymooners visiting New York for the first time for 4 nights before heading to cancan. This hotel is exactly what we needed - the room was a lot bigger than we expected following the reviews. We got a free upgrade when we arrived which was a nice surprise - all the staff were friendly and helpful and willing to help with any queries. The bed was big and very comfy (needed after how much walking we did!) the shower was powerful and the room was generally very clean. The location was fantastic and I would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Hannah S

Dear Hannah S,

Thank you for such a wonderful and upbeat review. So glad to hear that we were able to be a great start to such a monumental event. It was our absolute pleasure and honor to be a part of your Honeymoon and we wish you a lifetime of wedded bliss!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

i put my stuff in the hotel's bathroom and when i came back, it's not at the same place and one of it's disappeared. i absolutely sure that the housekeeper thrown away my stuff but the manager said that his housekeeper didn't touch anything in my room. i just wanna ask if she didn't touch anything, why my stuff's not at the same place. moreover, i called the hotel everyday to let them find my stuff again or let me know their solving, but i have to wait for 3 days for just an apologize calling from hotel. the hotel's manager is very bad, i found a cockroach in the room and when i told him, he just said apologize but did nothing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank poompui_lin

Dear poompui_lin,

Dear

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. I am disappointed to see that we failed to exceed your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize for any shortfall in our ability to provide you with the highest levels of service possible. I would like to address the loss of the property in question; as I mentioned on the numerous times we spoke over the phone, our housekeeper did in fact see the item and in new exactly what it was, and assures us that she did not touch it nor dispose of it. Personal items such as this are the sole resposibility of the guest to secure. Again I would like to extend our utmost apologies for the loss of the item and the frustration attributed to it.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked my stay at Amsterdam court on Hotwire.com and it was rated as a 3 star hotel, I should have stuck with my first mind and suggestions from friends to only book 4 star and above when you can't view the property up front, as is the case on Hotwire. Lesson learned. While the service at the front desk was pleasant, the hotel it self is in DESPERATE need updating! Everything is OLD. The shower curtains, the lamp shades, the carpet in rooms, the loud window air conditioners, the TV was so old I joked with my sweetie and I joked whether a remote control was available for the TV! Not at all an ounce of luxury. And the rooms are EXTREMELY SMALL!!

The location is the best thing about this hotel. Right in the heart of Times Square!!! So, if you dont' care about staying in a tiny room with everything old, but need to be in the heart of Times Square, this could be the place for you.

I would like to thank Jose and Orlando for their service. Jose moved us to a slightly larger room for our 2nd and final night stay which was nicer but had a smaller bed. Win some/loose some!

Room Tip: Small rooms with old furnishings, excellent location
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Explorahhh,

We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for any shortfalls we may have had regarding your expectations of The Amsterdam Court. Our staff takes pride in providing the best service and hospitality to all our guests, and I am happy to hear that Orlando and Jose were able to do just that. Room size is based on room type and from your feedback it appears you may have reserved our express or standard room, our superior and deluxe rooms are bigger. Nonetheless we do hope you had a most enjoyable time in NYC and would be humbled if we could welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is it's location!! Terrible rooms, they're smelly, old and the air conditioning couldn't even keep the room cool. Not to mention tiny bathrooms, bad lighting, no ventilation in the bathroom and 2 power points usable in the room located behind the tv. Very overpriced for it's quality. There are many hotels in the same location, same price and in a lot better condition. Couldn't wait to leave!
Before coming to America- I read the reviews and thought, "It can't be that bad" so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and stayed there. Big mistake- don't waste your time with this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear sera1589,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. I am disappointed to see that we failed to exceed your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize for any shortfall in our ability to provide you with the highest levels of service possible. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to assist in the future. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

the location of this hotel is excellent on 50th st near times square and broadway. the lobby is nice and the front desk staff was mostly friendly.

I stayed four nights with my gf in a regular room with double bed. we were put on the ground floor 100 level. the room was poorly insulated and we regularly heard noise from the hallway and lobby areas. the room was tiny, basically a bed with a few feet on each side. the bed looked newer than the rest of the room and it was clean. the tv was old, not flat panel, so it took up about a quarter of our free space. our AC unit was not always working and the controls were positionned too high to see. the room had a window but it was completely blocked and no natural light came in to the room. it was very dim even on beautiful summer mornings.

the bathroom window was also blocked, so no natural light came in. there was no fan either so there was no ventilation. there was a flimsy shelf that was poorly positioned just above the toilet. our tub did not drain properly so the water went up several inches even during a quick shower. our toilet also clogged at one point. the attendant that repaired it had a very cold demeanor. he entered the room and stared me down angrily without saying a word.

there were no computers available and wifi was expensive. we regularly went next door to the beautiful citizen-m hotel lobby to use their complementary wi-fi. they even had imac computers on the mezanine level with a printer, which we used for tickets and boarding passes. i caught myself wondering what the difference in price would have been...

we left the amsterdam court hotel on a sour note. despite specifying twice that we wanted to take a taxi cab to the airport, we realized en route that the bellhop had put us in a car service which was not equipped with a meter. we were charged a flat fee of 50$ plus state taxes which came out to more than twice the amount we paid using a taxi cab on the way into the city from laguardia. I have no doubt someone receives a commission for taking advantage of uninformed tourists.

we enjoyed new york but this hotel was dark and old. we had no view. we had no wifi. we had problems with the tub and AC. and we got ripped off after checking out. there are tons of hotels in the same area with great location. I simply cannot recommend this hotel. I would say to spend a bit extra and stay somewhere nice.

1  Thank ohdavey
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear ohdavey,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay at The Amsterdam Court Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, unfortunately the smaller rooms are what is reserved when booking in our express category. However if lighting was the issue we could have certainly moved you to a brighter room. Again our apologies. I would love to have an opportunity to welcome you back as I am confident your next experience will be a delightful one.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Well for starters, you don't visit NYC for the hotel room so for what I was looking for in a hotel Amsterdam Court had to offer. Good price, good location and comfortable bed. The bed was advertised as a queen but I really don't think it is. We had one of the "renovated rooms," it is obvious that many of the renovations were done fairly cheaply but the room seemed clean. The front desk staff was friendly and answered any questions we had. The location is definitely what sells this hotel. Close to subway stops to get anywhere you want, steps to many theatres, and a couple blocks away from Times Square, Rockefeller, & Hell's Kitchen (I recommend heading here for your meals!) If you're just looking for a place to rest your head after a long day touring - this is your hotel!

Dear dmorr039,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at The Amsterdam Court Hotel. As the Hotel Manager, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.