“Great Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #337 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Great Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Room was average but we were happy to find a hotel that had a 2-bed room and a parking option. Staff was very nice and location was great. Easy walk to theaters and to Central Park area and relatively affordable for that area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Barbara L
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Barbara L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with our Executive Team to address within their respective departments. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I may be of any further assistance now or in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have just come back to the UK from NYC having stayed there all last week.

The location is fantastic, a 2 min walk to Times Square, one minute to the Subway downtown and a short hop in to Hells Kitchen. The staff are fantastically friendly and always willing to help, chat or give advise. They seemed very flexible with arrival times, us having arrived much later than planned due to a screw up at the airport. There is coffee on tap, down stairs which was a nice touch. The Hotel is around the corner 50th and 8th from one of the tour bus stops so if you are an NYC newbie you are ideally placed to go on a bus trip too.

I got the feeling sitting in the lobby and listening to other guests' conversations that nothing was too much for the hard working staff.

The beds were comfortable and the AC kept the rooms a sensible temperature for poor brits who aren't used to the heat. The rooms are compact and there is plenty of hot water in the bathrooms. Each room has an iron and ironing board to keep you smart during your trip.

The position and rooms are fine, if a little dowdy. While we were there the wifi was hopeless, we gave up trying to use it in our rooms, on the first floor, early on. This isn't really a problem for a holiday trip as we could confirm our return tickets, update facebook and check emails by wandering round to Macy D's, Time Square or Starbucks all of which are around the corner and have free wifi.

We didn't eat there, but had breakfast in a diner on 8th. Seemed more like living the American dream.

All in all i would stay there again. The location and staff put you in a prime position to enjoy the Times Square, Mid Town and Hells Kitchen areas. There are at least 2 Citi Bike stations within a 5 minute walk and once you are on your bike the city is your oyster.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rdgmck
Dear rdgmck,

Thank you so much for such a detailed and stellar review. We are truly humbled by your kind words and are so pleased to hear that you found everything to your liking. It is so true when they say location is key and we definately can attest to that! Thank you for singling out out Front Office Team for their attention to guests needs and concerns, it is something they most pride themselves on.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again real soon and show you the continued hospitality The Amsterdam Court is known for.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just got home from a lovely week in NYC and loved the trip, stayed for 4 nights and the room was on the 6th floor. The hotel staff was super friendly and fun, I especially loved to see the front desk people working so well together you can tell that they all love each other and love working with one another. Their response to problems was very quick, one night the bathroom lightbulb died and within 5 minutes of telling the front desk the bulb was changed...and this was well after 10:00. The room was nice and it was cleaned daily. The only complaint that I might have is that it would have been nice if the windows opened, especially in the bathroom, it got very stuffy after showering. Hotel is within walking distance to Time Square, the subway, and multiple broadway theaters. If you are a walker, it is also a pretty easy walk to Central Park and the many things you can see around it.

I will be visiting NYC again (someday!), and when I do, this is one place I would love to return to.
Thank you!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Gina V
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Gina V,

We are so pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable stay and truly appreciate your positive feedback. Hospitality is our number one goal and knowing that our staff was able to achieve that makes what we do so worth while. Thank you again so much as we look forward to that 'someday' when you come back and visit us...

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The location - very close to Times Square - is the best thing about this hotel. Rooms are a little shabby. Not much space, but OK.

Didn't like having to argue with the manager/front desk about a fridge in the room. Online site had listed fridge 'on request', but they wanted to charge us extra. We did end up getting the fridge at no additional cost. Overall not good value at all. We did not get cheap rates, despite staying 6 nights. No wifi, no coffee making facilities. Pretty basic really. Rooms got very stuffy - windows did not open, so had to have the aircon on overnight. Little natural light. Noisy in the mornings.Very slow lifts...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MelbourneLaura
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear MelbourneLaura,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with our Executive Team to address within their respective departments. We would like to however clarify that complimentary coffee, tea and lemon water are available 24/7 in our lower lobby level. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I may be of any further assistance now or in the future.

New Knoxville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We like this location--close to Broadway & most theaters, as well as a
variety of eateries. The little bar is nice for a busy day night cap, and
decor is relaxing, but also fun. The lady bartender was especially good
in her attentativeness (on-the-ball), and efficient.
We look forward to another visit to the Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Joann H
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Daer Joann H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Amsterdam Court with other like-minded travelers such as yourself. I am glad that you received great service from all members of our staff and found our location to be spot on as well. We are truly humbled by your kind words and look forward to your next visit with us!

Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed at Amsterdam for 4 nights and could not believe how close it was to Times Square. Although the rooms were small (normal for NYC), I was actually surprised at how large the bathrooms were! Everything was so clean and the hotel staff cleaned up and made our bed everyday. One day my mom went out and I wanted to sleep in, so she left the privacy please sign on the door. When we both finally left for the city together are 1:30 we put the service please sign on the door. We came back to the room around 6 to recharge before dinner and our room was made up! Another day we ran out of towels so my mom went downstairs to ask for more and before she got back up to the room, someone had brought towels to me. The staff was so nice and always willing to help us navigate. Our flight out wasn't until 8pm so we were able to keep our luggage at the hotel until we left for the airport. Jose and Robert were awesome with our luggage and checking out. Will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Katelyn C,

Thank you for such a glowing review. We truly appreciate your kind words and also acknowledging both Jose and Robert for their efforts. However whats more important to us is that you had a most memorable stay and that we were able to accomodate all your needs. It was truly our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to when "Awesome Amsterdam" can do so again. Hurry back!

Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed here for 6 Nights at the beginning of January, the location is peffect if your travelling in the winter. As you walk out the hotel entrance' turn right literally a 20 second walk and your at times square! The hotel is only a 10-15 minute walk to central park which I think is the best thing about new York!!

There is also a lounge/bar attached to the hotel which is really nice, I would have a drink while my partner would get ready Natsumi I think its called.

The only bad points I have is the heating, it was a dated heater which made a lot of racket it was like a ketting boiling and the room would go very humid, we rang reception and they sent there handy man up to take a look all he done was turn it off? but again that did not bother us. I would defiantly stay at Amsterdam court again. I am returning to nyc in January but this time we will be staying at the Edison hotel I did try booking Amsterdam court but I got a better deal with the Edison.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TyrionLanister,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at the Amsterdam Court Hotel. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with our Executive Team to address within their respective departments. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC. Please be assured that we will always match any rates that you find on line, do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at gm@amsterdamcourtnyc.com if I may be of any further assistance now or in the future.