“clean but noisy at night”

Amsterdam Court Hotel
Ranked #346 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Because of window air-condition, the noise level came straight through! Maybe central air would work better. The best thing was the beds were very comfortable . But would have been great if there wasn't so much noise!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear nsidesign,

Thank you for your candid review and honest feedback. Yes New York City is noisy, and we know sightseeing can wear you out. We are glad the cleanliness and comfort of the room allowed you to relax and get the rest you needed. We would love to welcome you back again real soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Awesome hotel. Marlen in the desk was very kind and the hotel service was awesome in general.. The rooms are a lil bit small but the hotel's location is def worth it. Times square is 2 steps far, right in front of wicked's theatre. You have stores arround, restaurants and the subway stop is right in the corner. This is an awesome place to stay in. I fully recomend it (it's not that expensivw either) Thanks!!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank rodrigo161989
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Rodrigo S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us and our loyal tripadvisor readers. The staff at The Amsterdam Court takes pride in providing all our guests with the best service posiible and I appreciate you pointing out Marleny specifically. Your kind words speak volumes and we are truly humbled.
We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our flights were delayed almost a whole day, and our rooms had been downgraded to a double bed when we were expecting a queen room. (due to hotwire), we were less than excited about how small our room was the first night. Jose at the front desk was very accommodating through this whole fiasco and the next day we were upgraded to our original rooms with a complimentary breakfast. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are small, but VERY CLEAN. You are less than a 5 minute walk from Rockefeller Center, Time-square, and Central Park. It allows you time to run back to the hotel, charge a phone, change clothes, drop off shopping bags etc. I highly recommend this hotel. The front desk staff was GREAT! Remember...you are in NYC so don't expect a regular sized hotel room, and if you are there to see the sights, this is perfect, all you need is a bed and shower!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EricN33
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear EricN33,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your most recent stay. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our rooms were to your liking! We pride ourselves on making every guest stay as memorable as possible and being able to provide a grade A location is just a plus. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in your future stays in NYC.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

You pay for location and nothing else. I was very dissapointted with the quality and standard of the hotel.

At the end of our trip coming from Niagra falls knights inn, eaton Chelsea at toronto and the nu hotel in toronto by the airport. Amersterdsm court could not even match these hotels. There was no free wifi in the hotel you had to pay for for it which was $26 dollars for 3 days. Coming from the UK and not being able to use mobile phones at all to contact home while abroad wifi is very important and even just to look up tube maps or things to do. So that wasn't great.

No coffee facilities in the rooms either. There was a fridge and when I enquiered about it they said it was a mini bar which wasn't up and running yet. There was a light out in our room when we arrived and a pair of old tights rolled up on the floor.

So all you pay for is location. The staff were nice enough to hold our luggage as we were early and even when we checked out. The girl on the front desk was friendly and showed us a lot on the map. The manager of that hotel needs to get up to standards though.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe S

Dear Joe S,

Thank you for sparing time and posting your review of The Amsterdam Court. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue in improving our services. Please accept my sincere apologies for these inconveniences, we pride ourselves in giving the best customer service possible. I do wish to clarify while there is no coffee service in the rooms, there is however free coffee, tea and water available 24/7 in the lower loby. Perhaps you missed that. I hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Hard to see the hotel from the street at night, poor signage. Rooms facing the street can be noisy, old but room was clean, staff was helpful. Garage parking is located next to the hotel. Great location, walking distance to all mid town sites.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank J Marty F
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear J Marty F,

Thank you for your most recent review of The Amsterdam Court Hotel. We value your feedback and can always learn from our guests sincere critique.
Sometimes the quickest trips turn out to be the best and I am so happy to hear this was in fact one of them.
Our welcome mat is always out for you and we look forward to the next time your travels lead you our way!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We just spent two days at the Amsterdam Court, coming into NYC on business. The staff couldn't have been nicer. The room was spotless. They provided information about parking and offered to make suggestions about things to see in the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is right off Broadway and across from the Gershwin Theater. Great location, great staff, awesome restaurant onsite, beautiful rooftop patio area and clean rooms. I'll stay there every time I come to the city!!!!!

Room Tip: Get the deluxe king. It's great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Deb Y
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Deb Y,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, it is so wonderful when we hear that a guest's stay was exactly what they were hoping to experience. We look forward to seeing you again and hope you will choose us on your return to NYC.

Hotel manager

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Pros:
Perfect location. Right next to Times Square and Radio City Music Hall. Close to Madison Square Garden, Central Park, and so much more.
Friendly staff
Computer use to check in for flights and print boarding passes
Good price
Air conditioning

Cons:
Smallest hotel room ever
Run down
Slow, sketchy elevator.
Expensive wifi (but this is fairly typical for NYC)
Doesn't have some of the perks that larger hotel chains have (concierges that are able to get discount tickets for certain shows, for example)
Lack of places to store things in the room.
No safe in the room

Somethings I experienced in my room, but might not be the case for every rooms:
Shower had two settings: scalding and polar ice
Phone broke and staff couldn't fix it/replace it. So I was in a hotel room with a phone that didn't work. I didn't have many phone calls to make, but it would've been nice to be able to phone home, or call for help in case of an emergency.The staff offered to let us use the phone in the lobby, but we declined due to the lack of privacy.
The room was very dimly lit.
There was a desk with a mirror, but no lighting. I ended up moving a bedside lamp and taking off the lampshade to provide sufficient light while I was doing my hair and makeup.

I don't think I'd go out of my way to stay here, but if the price was right, it's a hotel I would consider again.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow, stairs are steep and lower floors tend to be noisier. I'd go with floor 3...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissAristen
PGallo811, Manager at Amsterdam Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear MissAristen,

Even though you had some dissatisfaction with your hotel stay, we thank you for your thought out review. I am disappointed to see that we failed to exceed your expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize for any shortfall in our ability to provide you with the highest levels of service possible. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to assist in the future. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amsterdam Court the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Warm Regards,